First Name
Jacques
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
The drivetrain is laid out like this:

engine --> transmission --> transfer case --> driveshaft

With the transfer case in neutral the driveshaft is disconnected from the transmission. So nothing in your transmission will move. If you can get into any Jeep and pull the transfer case to neutral, the Jeep will roll away (assuming the brake isn't set). Luckily that's pretty tough to do when the vehicle is sitting still so it's unlikely some kid playing in your Jeep is going to roll away in it.

Jeep rolling away was always one of my fears with my TJs. I tend to not have the top or doors on my Jeeps and the TJs I had were manual transmissions and the parking brake sucked. I always worried some kid would climb in it to play and pull it out of gear. Because of that fear I have long had the habit of turning my wheels fully to the left or right when I shut it off. I still do it today with the JL, but since we don't have steering column locks it probably wouldn't make much difference if the Jeep decided to roll away. Luckily with the automatic transmission and a parking brake that works well my fear is probably completely ridiculous now (if it wasn't always).
I can understand that-the parking brake on my '03 LIberty barely worked brand new and only got worse from there. Did the TJ have that same stupid baby drum brake inside the disc housing for a parking brake? I had nothing but trouble with those. My two Jettas had rear discs and the parking brakes worked great, so I knew it could be done, just that Chrysler didn't seem to have figured it out yet. So far the parking brake on my JL seems to work great.

Allagash27

First Name
Jacques
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Rubicon owners doing offset math as we speak. I can see the thread now.

“120” tires. NO LIFT!!!”
I was like "are those photoshopped or are they earth-mover tires?"

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Did the TJ have that same stupid baby drum brake inside the disc housing for a parking brake?
I haven't gotten into my JL to see, but the first few results on google makes it look like we still have the small rear drums for the parking brake. But yeah, the TJ used the small drums. My Prius has a mechanism built into the caliper that when pulled by the cable it applies the disk brake. So it is possible (and I'd guess common), just hasn't found its way into Jeeps yet. I wonder if they have a reason for that.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL

Tdkrum5

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 White JLU Altitude
Vehicle Showcase

DWEI

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
THIN BLUE LINE
how do you reuse the stock inner fender liners? Do you cut them off at the front? If so at what spot? Any pics of the process? Also by reusing, you don’t have to cut off the tabs on the side of the fender that would otherwise be exposed correct? Thx
For the liners, I just cut a little bit from the front to clear the new lights. Its pretty straight forward. The scary part is working up the nerve to get to that point lol.

As for the tabs that need modification/cut (2), you have to completely cut one off (body side)or else it blocks the new lights. The other one (exterior side) just needs to be trimmed a little so its not exposed.

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 JK Willys, 1999 TJ Sport, 1966 CJ5-A