What did you do TO your Jeep JL today?

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Finished install of my Red Line Hood Struts.

Rather than trying to get the top brackets underneath the hood insulation, I decided to just trim it back. I traced the outline of the top bracket with a pencil, took some small scissors and cut/removed the material underneath the bracket. While it is a small detail, now the top hood brackets fit flush.

Worked great and looks like it should have been done at the factory. Very happy with the install and the product.

20201210_174224.jpg

20201210_174230.jpg

IMG_4165.JPG

IMG_4169.JPG
Is it supposed to go under the insulation? I dont remember that in the instructions. I must have just kept the insulation under it? Does it matter in some way in not thinking of?!

Renegade Wrangler

First Name
Gasan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Rubicon
Occupation
Spice Man
Finally getting around to installing my birthday present. AAL Highline Kit. Got one done, knock out the other tomorrow. I’m keeping the stock fender liners.

84B0C07B-13BE-4FC4-BCD5-02E92A27901C.jpeg
5D76F528-1229-4ADF-ABDE-BE7E264EDA0E.jpeg
52D29A44-1958-4E02-B794-B220F184A61E.jpeg
What tiers do you have on. Your wheels are 17" right. A bit late but Happy birthday. I just purchased a set of Venoms and was looking for tiers.

JLURUBI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon Diesel
A lot of people have had the same issues, myself included. I had both batteries replaced under warranty in April.
Had both of my batteries replaced under warranty at 20 months on my 2018. Dealer load tested both batteries and replaced them under warranty after the ESS stopped working

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
My dealer is offering the Mopar lift for $2,000, installed. The lift normally sells for $1,400, which means they are offering the installation for $600.

She is going in next week.
My dealer did mine for $600 also. Included checking the torque 3 times and 2 alignments.

FYI. The springs in the mopar lift are corner specific. My dealer screwed this up the first time, so they had a redo. I checked the part numbers after the install. The instructions are specific about this, although it isnt obvious.

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Is it supposed to go under the insulation? I dont remember that in the instructions. I must have just kept the insulation under it? Does it matter in some way in not thinking of?!
Yes. According to Redline the preferred installation is to have the hood bracket tucked under the insulation. The directions were not explicit about this, so I contacted Redline who emailed me back during my install. They rather have the bracket sit flush against the hood and it won’t do that with the side of the bracket placed over the insulation. I ended up just tracing the outline of the bracket while it was in place and then loosening it, and trimming the insulation and then retightening them. It made for a custom fit, and the end result is that the bracket(s) are now flush against the hood As Redline recommends.
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? DB0BB393-634E-4CFE-9E17-2B49A5D4997C
It only took a few minutes per side and was worth the effort.

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? ED169E43-EDBA-4104-B3A0-0CDC883D1703

MauiSteve

First Name
Stephen Rodgers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 door, 2018 Colorado ZR2, 2009 Honda Ruckus, 1973 Honda CB750
Occupation
Mostly retired
Yesterday I finished the bumper and winch install with some small Quadratec lights. I also installed the pedal extenders so my wife is farther away from the steering wheel, I used these extenders on my 97 TJ and they work well. I still need to do one or two things but it all went together smoothly.

Pedals.jpg

Winch-bumper.jpg

Winch.jpg

BadA$$Rubi

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, overall a huge improvement in feel. It places the knob in a higher more ergonomic position, which makes grabbing it on the fly feel more natural. The added leverage that isn't really needed, equals a more precise feel to the shift. And no more buried knob in 4lo. Here's pics of 2h, 4h, and a couple angles of 4l.
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? EFFB7D3C-E27A-4DA5-801B-EBBE2BF41FFC
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? EFFB7D3C-E27A-4DA5-801B-EBBE2BF41FFC
You just like showing off your knob

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Or you can take a pair of scissors and just cut about 1/2 off and it will end right at the bracket. That’s what I did.

D0FC966F-66CB-4D8E-BD8A-31BCC43645E6.jpeg
@Goin2drt

I think we are talking about 2 different things. From your photo I can see that you trimmed the weather stripping back to the bracket (looks great). However, what I and Redline are referring to specifically is the hood insulation, which covers about 90 percent of the underside of the hood.

It looks to me from this photo that you may want to take another look. The weather stripping looks great-however it looks like your bracket itself may be installed too far downward as a lot of the rectangular slot in your hood is showing (to my knowledge, it shouldn't). When I corresponded with Redline they suggested that the bracket itself should be; 1. Pushed up towards the front of the hood as that is the natural position of function. None of the opening of the slot at the top should show. 2. Be positioned UNDER the hood insulation (mat) so that it can lay flat against the bottom of the hood surface (this can also be accomplished by trimming the hood insulation).

Lastly, it is very difficult to tell some of these things from photos. As with mine. Since I trimmed away the mat (hood insulation) right around the perimeter of the brackets themselves, my brackets are now nesting inside of it, even though it may appear that they are on top. In my case, I was also able to leave the backing of the hood insulation (it's paper thin) in place so that likely the rest of the insulation won't separate from the hood in the future. The entire process took just a few minutes to get it right and have the struts and brackets installed the way that Redline suggests. *The Redline photo below mine on a red hood, shows it better with the bracket tucked under the hood insulation. Hope it helps.
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? IMG_4168.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do TO your Jeep JL today? unnamed

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
@Rock Hopper i see what you are talking about. Yeah with regards to the hood insulation I did not cut that. So thin I am not sure it matters. As for the brackets I do understand. I went with ”lower” as I felt it would open the hood more. Maybe not. I like the looks of your better not having the hole exposed. Maybe I will change it.