DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
When tires wear in the middle , isnt that a sign of over inflation ?
It can be. The narrow stock rim plays into it, though, too.

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
2BBFC079-EB7B-49D0-AFD9-FB1E2DEA8630.jpeg
Dynatrac 2 in lift installed and KC's Hilites wired today.

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
I just installed a RAM mount device (Amazon, about 60 bucks) to mount my Overlander and InReach.
Was there any particular reason you went for the overlander for navigation instead of going for a tablet, if I may ask?

VGxHC

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLU
The kit has to have that type of connector (I haven’t opened mine yet) because in the instructions / videos online it says you’re able to remove your hardtop if needed. I’m not sure you have to cut because it should come with a connector that acts as a wire tap. Which one from Quadratec are you talking about? I’m curious now haha
I installed this earlier this year, relatively simply install. I tapped mine into the rear dome light. The kit comes with a snap splice to tie in. Also the plug that you are referring to IS included so that you can include or omit the remote function receiver.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Was there any particular reason you went for the overlander for navigation instead of going for a tablet, if I may ask?
Yep. The wireless camera is the primary reason. I also like the 3D terrain view. I've used that on the Magellan TRX7 and it is great to have on the trail in the mountains, but the Magellan just doesn't perform like the Garmin. They are both Android tablets basically, but the Magellan is overtaxed and slow with many features. The crowd sourced trails are pretty good with it, though. The Garmin's mapping is good and it runs VERY smoothly.

Another big reason for me was how it interfaces with the InReach satellite locator and communicator. I can do the text messaging from the InReach, which is even easier than using the phone app. I picked up an older Delorme InReach and Garmin still supports it, so it works perfectly with the Overlander.

I'll have a better idea how good the mapping is when I go on a decent trip.

Btw, the BC35 wireless camera and Overlander currently does not have an image flip feature for forward mounting. I've contacted Garmin and communicated with the head of the Overlander product line and he has said they will look into that. I've explained to him that with the ability to support 4 wireless cameras, this gives great options for forward facing locations. All they have to do is a simple software change. Right now, largely because of the price, people are skittish at purchasing one of these as well as becasue a tablet has some competitive advantages. The wireless cam support gives this a distinct advantage, especially if they give you the ability to flip the image for forward use. I'm betting they'll ultimately do this. It requires very little development investment for them to pick up a huge gain in functionality that no tablet can duplicate.

Specifically, I'm looking to do one underneath for wheel spotting and differential pumpkin spotting (as well as protecting the front axle disconnect). If that works as I hope, then I may put one higher up, such as in the grille like on the Gladiator. Ultimately, I could even see an underneath rear facing camera and maybe one along the passenger side rocker, facing rearward, to spot for right rear tire placement.

Right now it is just a big experiment in my head, so when I get it mounted and wired up I'll share the results. I will note that I wasn't going to pay either the $699 regular price or $599 pre-holiday price. I found an ebay vendor and negotiated the price to $450. Still a little steep, but enough to make me take the plunge. Again, if they give the imgage flip feature and the wireless cam works well, then its a game changer and the value increases, so they'll sell more units at the premium price. I think the overlanding community is starting to really get into forward facing cams. It is apparently a VERY popular feature on the Gladiator, among those who've used it. A spotting location underneath will be even better.

If they don't do the image flip, I still think it will be useful once I get used to it. The image flip will make it far easier to use, though.

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
@DanW thanks for your elaborate reply! :like:

Quasimodo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, 2016 Jeep Cherokee
Took the back windows out (it’s in the 60s here) and installed the Seven Sparta dead pedal. What a b*tch to install!

649DD83A-9550-4A62-8752-97758B6180B6.jpeg

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
In the winter it's Not good to wash it everyday, as the left over salt reactivates everytime causing more damage.
Then just leave it on year round?

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
Been doing it to all my cars for years, here in Vermont. Never had a rust issue !

bull.gif
It has to be over 32 degrees for oxidation to take place . It aint ever over 32 here. Guess thats why my cars never rust !