What did you do TO your Jeep JL today?

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
Thanks! Big difference in handling. No body roll, steering is nice and solid and feels a lot tighter. Hitting a bump in the road does absolutely nothing to jeep, no shimmy, shake or bump steer. Only issue left is the dreaded dead spot in the steering. I'm getting the new AE gear box soon so hopefully that will be the icing. I had the AD version and it didn't really do much.

Going to AOAA end of Sept for 3 days of camping and offroading, so everything will be tested extensively on the trails.

How did you get your dealer to replace the steering box?

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
Let us know if the AE steering gear box fixes the dead spot. I have the AE box since my build is a June 19 and I still have about 1 inch to the left and right on all stock components. Only mod is 17x9 wheels and 35 inch KO2.
That sucks, maybe I should until AF or E. I want to get a ram and port mine, but I know it’s a junk box as it has gotten worse since in the last year went from 0 slop to ~ 1-2”

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Today I installed the Rugged Ridge Sparticus bracket and tire carrier. I followed Tech Tim's install tutorial and it went pretty smooth.

Yesterday I did all of the removal work. It took about 30 minutes.

My plan was to finish the job yesterday but one of the hinge bolts warped. I believe this was due to the paint. I went to Harbor Freight this morning and bought a set that came with larger Torx bits. I used one size up and hammered it into the bolt. This allowed me to get it loose.

Prior to install I completed a couple additional steps.

1. I clear coated the bare metal that is behind the hinges.

2. I attached foam to the back of the hinge and carrier in the areas where it comes into contact with the swing gate to avoid scratches in the paint.

The instructions do not include torque specs for inner/outer hinge bolts or carrier bolts. I torqued the inner hinge bolts to 30 foot pounds and outer to 27 pounds. Seemed tight and nothing budged.

With Tim's tutorial it is a straight forward project. Just time consuming. I did it by myself with hand tools.

The most difficult part of the project was reinstalling the side panel. It probably took 30 minutes to get the panel back in place. I now realize that I forgot to put the stickers back over the hinges. Not sure if this really matters or not.

All in all it took me about 30 minutes yesterday and a few hours today. That includes interruptions, neighbor talking to me for a half hour or so etc.

20190824_124247.jpg

20190824_124251.jpg

20190824_124255.jpg

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Finally some pictures....:giggle:... looks great, you think that would hold a 37 ok?
I still need to post pictures of the lights, side armor, and front bumper.

The instructions from Rugged Ridge says it fits a 39" tire. It is solid. I will be mounting a 38" Milestar Patagonia to it once my wheels arrive and the jeep is lifted. Probably a week or two out.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I still need to post pictures of the lights, side armor, and front bumper.

The instructions from Rugged Ridge says it fits a 39" tire. It is solid. I will be mounting a 38" Milestar Patagonia to it once my wheels arrive and the jeep is lifted. Probably a week or two out.
Copy that...just given you crap about pics, . some of us cavemen rely on pictures on a counta I don’t read so good.......:)

73CJto19JL

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubi, 2015 GMC Sierra, 1964 Chevy Chevelle Malibu SS Convertible
Occupation
Electrical/ Controls Engineer
Replaced a side marker with an LED smoked one. Yup just one. . Thats how good my day is going. Going to do the other side later.

IMG_20190824_124248_024.jpg
I did this today as well, except with a clear one. I found that on my 2019 Rubicon, built in June, it was unnecessary to remove the plastic rivet. The fender liner was notched around it. Only took about 10 minutes for each side!

Juni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
I did this today as well, except with a clear one. I found that on my 2019 Rubicon, built in June, it was unnecessary to remove the plastic rivet. The fender liner was notched around it. Only took about 10 minutes for each side!
Yeah i found that out too after removing 3 of them.
I have some replacements though but i wish i figured that out beforehand instead of just following video step by step *facepalm

Sector281411

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Gladiator Willy's Edition
Today I took my Topsy brackets and stripped off the powder coat. They are fantastic but it’s super annoying they have been laser etched. Since I hated that I decided to just change the color as well.

I got the stripper at the big orange box store and it worked a champ. Don’t use this stuff unless you read the DIRECTIONS!!!!!

It takes about 20 minutes but the powder coat bubbles off. Most of it was gone after washing the parts off with my garden hose.

What was left was easily taken care of by some acetone and a magic eraser.

Tomorrow I will be powder coating them TARDIS blue and hopefully getting them installed on the Jeep.

G

8233CDA8-FFA7-4682-8266-ED576A5DEDF2.jpeg

AF861D1A-C6A0-4BE6-993F-AC28547B1ED5.jpeg

51D2C3A1-B7DA-4272-945B-69B8BCFB04CF.jpeg

32FDD734-4EB2-4D8F-A3BA-B1EC38C64F9A.jpeg

55179419-909C-49B3-BAF4-DC62F2EDBF16.jpeg

BE335DAF-7FC7-4BC1-8078-F4AB1C170782.jpeg

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Designed and fabricated my own Rotopax stoppers with a push button bleeder valve. Works bitchin
20190819_125214.jpg
Had to redesign. Bleeder valves wouldn't let enough air out and basically vaporlocked. New plan with 3.25 gallons in cans in 96 degrees works flawless. Basic right angle valve stem. Release pressure by pushing on valve core or loosen entire stem. Super happy super easy now. No more removing can and venting by opening cap

Juni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
Not a real mod, but just for fun.
My Jeep's name is Ren. Every time i tell someone that they're like "oh you named it after the cartoon ren and stimpy?"
Which i did not, but since its become a thing, i decided to roll with it and put ren and stimpy in the dash tray.

20190824_123643.jpg

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
We took it out and borrowed Mother Nature’s flex ramp to see these new rk no limits sway end links in action. They’re great! However with my 26-5/8” full extension shocks I felt like they were yawning.....:(.
I mean I was bumpstop buried and wheel dangling drooped and they were like “ho hum” :facepalm:
I can’t wait till my shocks and springs get here....:clap:......:)

4EF3FE28-8615-4060-AFBE-AF81BCB3A156.jpeg
913A4A36-31AB-4012-9CEB-17A8CA19A402.jpeg
7E071156-EBEB-4309-88EB-73562121CC11.jpeg

Last edited:

Tritonman

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
ITS Duty Manager
How did you get your dealer to replace the steering box?
I pulled in their garage and left the jeep running, turned the wheel side to side as they watched the tires not even move. It also helps that i have a great relationship with the dealership and they really do what they can to fix my issues.

FitBliss

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Limited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Nice. Tired of waiting on Teraflex. May have to snag one of those. Install straight forward?
Yeah, there is a step by step online that really nails it! But be warned I totally pulled out my camera cable and had to buy a new harness from the dealer for 88 bucks. I just didn’t see that the camera bracket needed to come out as well, and pulled without pulling the bracket. Gonna be a long week without it, also have the issue of my rhino wheels having no open places to run the third brake light and the bolts that hold the brake light don’t allow for the fitting of a socket. So for instance the kit comes free from northridge with a new back lit third light that goes behind the wheel, but my wheel doesn’t have any openings to see the light and the other option doesn’t work either because the bolts don’t fit and neither does the wiring to the light, this is because my rhino armories don’t have any openings, kinda screwed on the third brake light. Waiting on new camera line so will at least get that back. But the carrier is amAzing! Love the new higher position and my back up sensors work again, and my tire isn’t on my rear bumper anymore.