What did you do TO your Jeep JL today?

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
I did this last year now they keep coming out, more of a hassle than anything else.
Installation error. I put mine in months ago, no issues and still tight. Whole vehicle took me about 15 mins.

rdrjohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport-S
Installed the Mopar removable roof racks along with a couple sets of Yakima Jaylow kayak carriers. I know with these Mopar roof racks Mopar states they don't recommend carrying heavy kayaks or canoes(more of a legal requirement in my opinion).. but that being said I've carried dual kayaks with this set up at roughly 45 lbs each.. from Seattle to Portland many times at speeds of 80mph+ and it holds great! No issues whatsoever if anyone was curious. Also want to add that the Yakima SKS lock cores are a perfect fit for these Mopar racks.. so a little peace of mind when it comes to security.
IMG_20190530_231021_094.jpg
DSC03361.JPG
DSC03370.JPG
DSC03345.JPG
DSC03340.JPG

20190529_194026.jpg
I put the SKS lock cores in and painted the Jeep logo
rack clip.jpg

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
I did this to my Wrangler. Not a good idea. The rubber piece eventually get's hard, and then starts coming up. I eventually just removed them and deal with the small pieces of debris that gets stuck there...
This mod is so inexpensive, once my rubber does start to breakdown from weather and sun, would literally take minutes to replace. Once you get a rock in there without this mod, they can be very difficult to get out, especially on Rubicon fenders as the gap is extra deep. Even compressed air may not be enough to clean it out

GPsGeeps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2015 WK2 Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Installed the Midland 275 in the old Jeep. I used Velcro because i hate drilling holes in the trim and it gives me the option to move it later with no penalty. I ran the wires out the drain plug and then to the fuse box and ground under the hood. Mounted the antenna on the only non-aluminum place i could find. I’m obviously a hack, but at least I soldered and shrink wrapped all the connections. Lol

A7FE7A06-1857-4345-A614-6DB67012337A.jpeg

52DC37BD-0151-497C-B222-E47281ACC9F5.jpeg
Careful with the mic holder. I mounted mine there, as well. But the sticky backing wasn't up to the task. Fell off after 1 weekend overlanding trip and left a sticky residue.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Installation error. I put mine in months ago, no issues and still tight. Whole vehicle took me about 15 mins.

Maybe you should consider factors like weather, ambient temperatures, rain, snow heat, freezing, washing patterns, which could all effect the condition and staying power of the rubber tubing and the application that would determine the ability for the tubing to remain pliable and retain what little grip it has. Different climates can affect things like this. Think about it, this is a temporary solution since there is nothing more than a little friction holding the tubing in place, there is timeline that the tubing will eventually come out it is only a matter of time, for me (and others) it was less than 90 days. With that said it was the fronts that were the issue so when I removed the fronts I also removed the rears which were ok at that time. Sometimes a hack is just a hack...

The problem was solved for me with mud flaps now no rocks/pebbles are not even thrown so debris in the wedge is a non issue anyway and the other byproduct of the mud flaps is a cleaner wrangler and no rock chips on the hinges which is the real rock problem.

With that said even though it would not stay in for the long haul it is an ok temporary solution if that is even a problem as you can keep tucking it back in, it got to the point I was having to do that ever few days.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
This mod is so inexpensive, once my rubber does start to breakdown from weather and sun, would literally take minutes to replace. Once you get a rock in there without this mod, they can be very difficult to get out, especially on Rubicon fenders as the gap is extra deep. Even compressed air may not be enough to clean it out
Better yet eliminate the rocks from being thrown, problem really solved, if you have rocks being thrown at the body of the wrangler then you have bigger problem than just the fender gap...

LUV2JEEP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 F150 XLT

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Maybe you should consider factors like weather, ambient temperatures, rain, snow heat, freezing, washing patterns, which could all effect the condition and staying power of the rubber tubing and the application that would determine the ability for the tubing to remain pliable and retain what little grip it has. Different climates can affect things like this. Think about it, this is a temporary solution since there is nothing more than a little friction holding the tubing in place, there is timeline that the tubing will eventually come out it is only a matter of time, for me (and others) it was less than 90 days. With that said it was the fronts that were the issue so when I removed the fronts I also removed the rears which were ok at that time. Sometimes a hack is just a hack...

The problem was solved for me with mud flaps now no rocks/pebbles are not even thrown so debris in the wedge is a non issue anyway and the other byproduct of the mud flaps is a cleaner wrangler and no rock chips on the hinges which is the real rock problem.

With that said even though it would not stay in for the long haul it is an ok temporary solution if that is even a problem as you can keep tucking it back in, it got to the point I was having to do that ever few days.
Yeah, I've fixed my passenger rear one at least 3 times since I added them 2 months ago. My rear passenger fender doesn't close in as tight as the driver side for some reason. The tubing eventually slips in. The front passenger needed to be re-tucked once. Definitely not a permanent solution.

Better yet eliminate the rocks from being thrown, problem really solved, if you have rocks being thrown at the body of the wrangler then you have bigger problem than just the fender gap...
Except it's a problem from the factory. Not on normal roads mind you. I take mine to trails in the desert often and rocks getting in there is unavoidable in stock form.

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Firecracker Red, 2014 Durango, 1999 Honda CRV
Vehicle Showcase
This looks superb! Im curious if you will notice an increase in the temperature inside the Jeep, especially after sitting out in the sun all day.
@Runt I wouldn't think the black underside of the hard top would affect temperature since direct sun doesn't hit it. The headliner, in theory, provides a bit of insulation. I suppose this might keep the interior a little cooler in hot weather & a little warmer in cold weather. My main reason for doing the headliner in the first place was to reduce the deafening sound of water jets in a car wash and the echo during a hard rainfall. It has helped with that enough to justify doing the project. I wasn't very scientific about it though ... I didn't take any temperature or sound measurements before hand to compare.

@WillDo559 I went to The Foam Factory near my house and explained my 'headliner' project plan. They recommended a particular dense gray foam. They cut it from huge foam blocks to whatever rectangular sizes I wanted. I used 3/4" thickness for the deeper recessions, then a 1/4" thickness to cover the entire rear section of the hard top. I think the foam came to $40. I found the faux leather fabric at Walmart which was roughly $15. I paid about $30 for 2 cans of 3m 77 spray adhesive ... but the headliner fell a day later due to heat. Don't use 77! I then paid $45 for 3 cans of 3M 90, but it wasn't enough since I layered it on thicker. I paid another $30 for 2 more cans of 90 to make sure I could finish the job.

The headliner saw 95-100 degree temperatures last summer as well as -10 this winter, and has held up perfectly. I remove the freedom panels frequently, and the headliners haven't shown any signs of pulling away anywhere. I'd do it again. I like the finished look & the marginal sound dampening. But, I'd get 4 cans of 3M 90 from the start. The project should've cost $100-$120.

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Had a good last couple days!

Radioactive got it's wheel's and tires (and re-geared to 5.13) - LOVE them. Mounted spare to Alpha kit.
Mounted ROAM rails to @BbyGrlJJ's Archangel, just gotta finish wiring them.

All coming along nicely :)

More details and pics in our build thread, as always :like:

IMG_4838.JPG
IMG_4839.JPG
IMG_4840.JPG
IMG_4843.JPG
IMG_4844.JPG

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Had a good last couple days!

Radioactive got it's wheel's and tires (and re-geared to 5.13) - LOVE them. Mounted spare to Alpha kit.
Mounted ROAM rails to @BbyGrlJJ's Archangel, just gotta finish wiring them.

All coming along nicely :)

More details and pics in our build thread, as always :like:

IMG_4838.JPG
IMG_4839.JPG
IMG_4840.JPG
IMG_4843.JPG
IMG_4844.JPG
Lol. I was so confused at first. I was wondering why you named a silver Jeep radioactive and put 5.13’s in for stock tires.

Had to scroll down.

BostonBilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
I installed my Team Tech Offroad dead pedal today. It is a quality product that is a straight forward install. I set mine at the highest level, it is just about brake pedal height. The fit and finish is on point, the shipping was quick and packaged with bubble wrap

20190605_165016.jpg

20190605_165009.jpg

20190605_165102.jpg

20190605_165046.jpg

20190605_165023.jpg

20190605_165134.jpg

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Lol. I was so confused at first. I was wondering why you named a silver Jeep radioactive and put 5.13’s in for stock tires.

Had to scroll down.
Ha - sorry, i was "out of order" as i sometimes am.....like an old arcade game :)