First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you - I will take a peek.

For both of you above, I love your wheels. What specs for the wheels/tires, and where did you buy please?
Thanks! They are Fuel wheels, standard 17”, 4.5 back space.. with BFG KO2 AT, 315’s C rated. the wheel just rests on the bumper so I’m thinking of relocation. Picked them up at 4-wheel parts because of the tax discount and 50 dollar rebate from BFG. Lift was purchased there as well ..

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic
Rotated the tires, including the spare. Been meaning to do it for awhile. Really glad I did it since I found the spare tire lug nuts we’re pretty loose.

Reinstalled the Tazer, and added a new OBDII extension cable from Zautomotive so I could get the Tazer moved and out of sight.

Then started reinstalling my cell phone booster, but ran out of time. Hopefully tomorrow I’ll get that finished.

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2108 JKU Sahara, Black 2016 Mercedes CLS400
Vehicle Showcase
@JurassicJeep12 looking good!

Here’s what I did today:
1. Sprayed the exhaust black with high temp matte Rustoleum
2. Took the out the silver grill inserts and sprayed them matte black, Rustoleum Peel Coat
3. While I had the grill out, I installed 7” Pro Comp LEDs (that I took out of my JKU before I sold it), using cheap brackets from Amazon. I had to use spacers to move the brackets forward half an inch

Exhaust:
20C30F79-DA69-4DB3-B22E-2CE716E591CE.jpeg

Before:

6704F522-9F2F-43B8-A48E-6E976CC214CB.jpeg

After:
2979483D-D5CD-4AAE-BE97-DA33EC812A24.jpeg

Spacer and new, longer, bolts on 7” adapters:
BFA87495-BD89-4550-8876-27FB8B0ABD30.jpeg

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Sahara (ordered 4/16/18, received 5/12/18), 2015 QX60, 2012 5.0, 2013 Prius V (hers)
ProComp wheels. 35"x12.5 BFGoodrich KO2 tires. Bought at OK4WD in New Jersey.
Thanks! They are Fuel wheels, standard 17”, 4.5 back space.. with BFG KO2 AT, 315’s C rated. the wheel just rests on the bumper so I’m thinking of relocation. Picked them up at 4-wheel parts because of the tax discount and 50 dollar rebate from BFG. Lift was purchased there as well ..
Thank you very much both. It’s starting to look like 4wheelparts for most folks. I’m hoping they’ll be educated enough to tell me what size to get if I don’t want to lift my Sahara (for now). Hopefully they’ll know about offsets etc. I don’t want it to stick out too far.

Am thinking a ~33” tire, at 275 18’s. What you think?

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Thank you very much both. It’s starting to look like 4wheelparts for most folks. I’m hoping they’ll be educated enough to tell me what size to get if I don’t want to lift my Sahara (for now). Hopefully they’ll know about offsets etc. I don’t want it to stick out too far.

Am thinking a ~33” tire, at 275 18’s. What you think?

Here is your challenge... You need to have a god vision on the future, for example I installed 35's on my Sahara with a 2" spacer lift I wanted to keep the tires as much inside at possible so i bought wheels with a 5.71" backspace. I was not happy with the spacer lift especially after adding new bumper, tow plate and winch, the stock springs are not really robust enough for that. I decided to step up to the Rancho 3.5" lift, however more aggressive lifts require less backsapce on the wheels more like 4.5" backspace. So I had a problem with upgrading my lift due to the wheels, I was in luck though as purchased my tires and wheels from Discount tire and my wheels had a warranty issue, so they allowed me to replace my original 5.71" backspace wheels with a completely different wheel with the right backspace for the lift. I cannot recommend Discount tire enough, I like 4WP but discount has a much larger wheel selection and better pricing, not to mention the after sale service was amazing.

The moral of this story though is if there is ANY inkling you plan more suspension modes in the future plan your wheels and tire NOW and get a future proof offset -12 to-18 should be fine, and +offsets may be problematic without having to use spacers. When I was originally shopping for wheels and considering spacers most tire shops said they would not install wheels with spacers (a couple would though this seems to be controversial).

Finally if you plan to lift 33" tires will look small, if you are going to buy new tires this is the time to spend a few extra $$$ and at least go 34" or 35" again future proofing potential mods. If you plan to not do any suspension mods then by all means + offset and 33's

Maybe there is something to learn from my mistake.

Last edited:

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Sahara (ordered 4/16/18, received 5/12/18), 2015 QX60, 2012 5.0, 2013 Prius V (hers)
Here is your challenge... You need to have a god vision on the future, for example I installed 35's on my Sahara with a 2" spacer lift I wanted to keep the tires as much inside at possible so i bought wheels with a 5.71" backspace. I was not happy with the spacer lift especially after adding new bumper, tow plate and winch, the stock springs are not really robust enough for that. I decided to step up to the Rancho 3.5" lift, however more aggressive lifts require less backsapce on the wheels more like 4.5" backspace. So I had a problem with upgrading my lift due to the wheels, I was in luck though as purchased my tires and wheels from Discount tire and my wheels had a warranty issue, so they allowed me to replace my original 5.71" backspace wheels with a completely different wheel with the right backspace for the lift. I cannot recommend Discount tire enough, I like 4WP but discount has a much larger wheel selection and better pricing, not to mention the after sale service was amazing.

The moral of this story though is if there is ANY inkling you plan more suspension modes in the future plan your wheels and tire NOW and get a future proof offset -12 to-18 should be fine, and +offsets may be problematic without having to use spacers. When I was originally shopping for wheels and considering spacers most tire shops said they would not install wheels with spacers (a couple would though this seems to be controversial).

Finally if you plan to lift 33" tires will look small, if you are going to buy new tires this is the time to spend a few extra $$$ and at least go 34" or 35" again future proofing potential mods. If you plan to not do any suspension mods then by all means + offset and 33's

Maybe there is something to learn from my mistake.
Thank you tons for this post. I already took lots of notes. I agree with you, my plan is to lift (eventually)... even then, it would be a modest lift of no more than 2" probably. That being said, the only reason why I mentioned 33" is based on my research here, it looks like 33" was the max to avoid any rubbing, etc. on a stock Sahara. I would like to go bigger (now) if I could... Do you (or anyone else) know if 34 or 35" will work with no rubbing?

And thanks for the advice on -12 to -18 offset (I think most of the wheels I was looking at had this), as well as Discount Tire. I've bought a few other sets from them in the past and they've been great I agree.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Thank you tons for this post. I already took lots of notes. I agree with you, my plan is to lift (eventually)... even then, it would be a modest lift of no more than 2" probably. That being said, the only reason why I mentioned 33" is based on my research here, it looks like 33" was the max to avoid any rubbing, etc. on a stock Sahara. I would like to go bigger (now) if I could... Do you (or anyone else) know if 34 or 35" will work with no rubbing?

And thanks for the advice on -12 to -18 offset (I think most of the wheels I was looking at had this), as well as Discount Tire. I've bought a few other sets from them in the past and they've been great I agree.

They will work with street use, off road you will likely have some rubbing most likely, I highly recommend the lift at the same time. With that said when I did mine I used Discount tire I actually ordered in two tire sizes 34 and 35" they are very flexible and will install them and you can see if the clearance works for you if not they will take them off and you can decide what to do then, they are very good that way. I assume other shops will do the same. Remenber offset and backspace play a significant roll

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Not to be a fun sucker but some numb nut could confuse you as the police or government official.
Random attacks and ambushes occur far too frequently these days.
I like the decals but you could draw some unwanted attention.
... from a horny zombie T-REX

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

Here was 2: with 35" and 5.71 backspace (see what the bumper and winch weight does to the stock springs)

steps%20black%20wheels_zpswpda7x6d.jpg

Here is the current config Rancho 3.5" shock and spring lift (plus 3/4" spacer front to compensate for front weight). This is with 4.7" backspace

rocker%20side%20view_zpsacghhjjf.jpg

As you can see it is a balancing act if you bumper and tire carrier mod.I am still adding rear bumper and tire carrier (not that I need to) that will settle my back down 1/2-1/2"