Sponsored

What did you do to your 2dr today?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Can you still open the stock storage door in the floor?
If you install it the way I did you can, but that requires coming up with a custom way to secure the rear of the box (the end near the seats), down to the rear-seat clamps. Otherwise it will tip forward when you open the drawer.

If you install it per the instructed way, it will be basically flush with the rear door of the Jeep and you lose access to that storage area.

jal

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.spectra3dstore.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 2 Door Rubicon
Occupation
3D printing service
If you install it the way I did you can, but that requires coming up with a custom way to secure the rear of the box (the end near the seats), down to the rear-seat clamps. Otherwise it will tip forward when you open the drawer.

If you install it per the instructed way, it will be basically flush with the rear door of the Jeep and you lose access to that storage area.
gotcha- I like how you have it more forward closer to the front seats

Sponsored

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
gotcha- I like how you have it more forward closer to the front seats
Forgot to mention that if you install it the standard way you also lose access to the accessory power port, which is another downside.

Reactions: jal

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Willys, 3.6L - 8spd
You setting them up yourself??
Oh no...
The talented chevymitchell did this work for me yesterday.
Swapped the OEM LSD for a Nitro Helix, and threw a Torq Locker in front.
Going for a mild-medium trail machine 🙂

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
N
Oh no...
The talented chevymitchell did this work for me yesterday.
Swapped the OEM LSD for a Nitro Helix, and threw a Torq Locker in front.
Going for a mild-medium trail machine 🙂
Nice! Wish Shawn was close to me, might get a buddy that's done gears help me and w/ @chevymitchell willing to answer my stupid questions it should work out. Sounds like a solid build you've got going. Look forward to your impressions.

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N

Nice! Wish Shawn was close to me, might get a buddy that's done gears help me and w/ @chevymitchell willing to answer my stupid questions it should work out. Sounds like a solid build you've got going. Look forward to your impressions.
Thanks Brad,

Yes, it was such a pleasure meeting @chevymitchell (Shawn). His knowledge, and dedication to providing high quality service is a rarity these days. I'm so glad I was able to make this happen with his help.

Let me just say, WOW!.... THIS is the way the 3.6L/8spd Willys should have been configured from the factory! (Gear wise). Even with the OEM 32" tires, the 4.56 geared Jeep now only turns about 2060 rpm at 65 in 8th gear, (and holds it).. and you can actually roll on power and it WON'T immediately downshift.
The thing is so much more peppy, and alive.
I always knew, but after this re-gear, it was confirmed overwhelmingly how mediocre the 3.6 performs with the OEM 3.45 gear set.
It actually feels like I'm gonna pick up some measurable improvement in mpg.
All this, and I haven't even been in 4Low yet! 🤣, I just got back home tonight and the weather in E. TN has been really soggy.
Tomorrow I'll take it out to the back of the property to get some 4Low feedback 😉

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks Brad,

Yes, it was such a pleasure meeting @chevymitchell (Shawn). His knowledge, and dedication to providing high quality service is a rarity these days. I'm so glad I was able to make this happen with his help.

Let me just say, WOW!.... THIS is the way the 3.6L/8spd Willys should have been configured from the factory! (Gear wise). Even with the OEM 32" tires, the 4.56 geared Jeep now only turns about 2060 rpm at 65 in 8th gear, (and holds it).. and you can actually roll on power and it WON'T immediately downshift.
The thing is so much more peppy, and alive.
I always knew, but after this re-gear, it was confirmed overwhelmingly how mediocre the 3.6 performs with the OEM 3.45 gear set.
It actually feels like I'm gonna pick up some measurable improvement in mpg.
All this, and I haven't even been in 4Low yet! 🤣, I just got back home tonight and the weather in E. TN has been really soggy.
Tomorrow I'll take it out to the back of the property to get some 4Low feedback 😉
Yeah, I'm sure it feels like you're driving an entirely different vehicle, like it just woke up from a long slumber. I have the Torq locker in front, and have a Dana 44 (M220) w/ LSD waiting to install. I wish I would have gotten that Nitro LSD when it was half off. I'll see how the stock LSD performs, or when the clutches die look into that unit. It looks like the next best thing to a full locker back there.

If I go to a new R&P I think 4.88s might be what I'd do although 4.56 would probably be ideal w/ my 315/70s that I have waiting to be installed. I kinda like the option of going to 37s in the future w/ the 4.88s but either one would be a huge leap over my current mini van gears :(

Keep posting your impressions, I'm all ears!!!

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I'm sure it feels like you're driving an entirely different vehicle, like it just woke up from a long slumber. I have the Torq locker in front, and have a Dana 44 (M220) w/ LSD waiting to install. I wish I would have gotten that Nitro LSD when it was half off. I'll see how the stock LSD performs, or when the clutches die look into that unit. It looks like the next best thing to a full locker back there.

If I go to a new R&P I think 4.88s might be what I'd do although 4.56 would probably be ideal w/ my 315/70s that I have waiting to be installed. I kinda like the option of going to 37s in the future w/ the 4.88s but either one would be a huge leap over my current mini van gears :(

Keep posting your impressions, I'm all ears!!!
I think your thoughts of 4.88's are spot on with your future tire size desires.
I'm only planning a 2" lift, and 33" to a (max) of 35" tire, so my gear choice made sense to me anyway..

Now to decide on a lift system...
Choices,
Choices,
Choices, 🤣

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I think your thoughts of 4.88's are spot on with your future tire size desires.
I'm only planning a 2" lift, and 33" to a (max) of 35" tire, so my gear choice made sense to me anyway..

Now to decide on a lift system...
Choices,
Choices,
Choices, 🤣
With as crazy as tire prices have gone, I may be maxing out at 315/70s, and of course if I end up going 37s there's many more parts that have to be added to the cart. And I really can't think of any trails that I'd want to run that I couldn't run w/ that tire and 4.56 gearset.

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
installed the extreme rubicon flares
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do to your 2dr today? IMG_2005
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do to your 2dr today? IMG_2005
How much did those run, and how was the install? Do you have a link to the extensions?

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With as crazy as tire prices have gone, I may be maxing out at 315/70s, and of course if I end up going 37s there's many more parts that have to be added to the cart. And I really can't think of any trails that I'd want to run that I couldn't run w/ that tire and 4.56 gearset.
Are you still on a D30 (M186) front axle like me?
I kinda think (my opinion of course), 35"
tires are about the upper end for that axle. Anything bigger, an axle upgrade is probably wise.
Sponsored