Sponsored

What Did You Do To Improve The Luxury or Comfort Of Your Jeep?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I just ordered 72 sq/ft of Kilmat 80 from, 25 sq/ft of Kilmat 50, 36 sq/ft of Noico Red 150 mil poly foam and 20 sq/ft of Noico Red 315 mil. I'm planning on going after the doors first, then the floor and finally the roof.
Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I just ordered 72 sq/ft of Kilmat 80 from, 25 sq/ft of Kilmat 50, 36 sq/ft of Noico Red 150 mil poly foam and 20 sq/ft of Noico Red 315 mil. I'm planning on going after the doors first, then the floor and finally the roof.
As a data point....In late 2018, I researched/worked diligently on upgrading sound quality and quieting the cabin in my daily driver JLU. I put down about 2 boxes(60 lbs) of Noico deadener in total on 90% of the tub/wheelwells and some on doors, top, and a little amount on tailgate, hood....also added Hothead headliner and a proper sound stage upgrade. I elected to not add a Mass Loaded Vinyl product on top of the deadener due to the added weight, thickness and cost.

Adding deadener to the floorboard and wheel wells made the bigger difference. I put 2 layers of noico 80mil deadener up front near the firewall. I wouldn't waste time doing the doors again...couldn't tell a difference bc the seals around the doors/hardtop are the culprit and it adds a little weight. The jeep now rides about 5 decibels quieter at 70mph according to my decibel app.(76 db to 71db)

Since then, I've gotten more into wheelin/driving topless and am not daily driving it. Don't think I would do it again due to the amount of work and cost. A 5 decibel reduction is noticeable, but not a gamechanger in my opinion...largely due to the door/hardtop seals still allowing some noise. Hope this is helpful.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
As a data point....In late 2018, I researched/worked diligently on upgrading sound quality and quieting the cabin in my daily driver JLU. I put down about 2 boxes(60 lbs) of Noico deadener in total on 90% of the tub/wheelwells and some on doors, top, and a little amount on tailgate, hood....also added Hothead headliner and a proper sound stage upgrade. I elected to not add a Mass Loaded Vinyl product on top of the deadener due to the added weight, thickness and cost.

Adding deadener to the floorboard and wheel wells made the bigger difference. I put 2 layers of noico 80mil deadener up front near the firewall. I wouldn't waste time doing the doors again...couldn't tell a difference bc the seals around the doors/hardtop are the culprit and it adds a little weight. The jeep now rides about 5 decibels quieter at 70mph according to my decibel app.(76 db to 71db)

Since then, I've gotten more into wheelin/driving topless and am not daily driving it. Don't think I would do it again due to the amount of work and cost. A 5 decibel reduction is noticeable, but not a gamechanger in my opinion...largely due to the door/hardtop seals still allowing some noise. Hope this is helpful.
Your observation about the seals and wind noise are about what I'd expect. Nothing short of modifying a jeep into a shape of a Tesla would help much. But, keep in mind 3 db is twice the sound energy, even if humans don't perceive it quite that way. Your 5 db and I think the OP's 10db is substantial to me. My Jeep will never have the hardtop off and will spend most of it's life on the road as a daily and some time on dirt roads as a hunting vehicle. I was driving on the freeway at 75 mph and I moved my head down near the door panel. There was a lot of road noise coming from the door panel itself. So, I'm going to spend a lot of time with the doors, using a couple different sound materials in the outer and inner panels. I think where the sound meter is placed and oriented, when taking readings, changes the measured value quite a bit. Besides, I'm retired and need another project. LOL.

I gotta get my sound meter back from a friend before I start. He's been using it in his shop to measure ambient and machine noise for his workers.

I just wanted to add, I recently drove with the Alpine system off on the highway. It seemed like there was more perceived noise. Is the active noise cancelling system in the JL dependent on the Alpine system being selected ON?

Last edited:

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Your observation about the seals and wind noise are about what I'd expect. Nothing short of modifying a jeep into a shape of a Tesla would help much. But, keep in mind 3 db is twice the sound energy, even if humans don't perceive it quite that way. Your 5 db and I think the OP's 10db is substantial to me. My Jeep will never have the hardtop off and will spend most of it's life on the road as a daily and some time on dirt roads as a hunting vehicle. I was driving on the freeway at 75 mph and I moved my head down near the door panel. There was a lot of road noise coming from the door panel itself. So, I'm going to spend a lot of time with the doors, using a couple different sound materials in the outer and inner panels. I think where the sound meter is placed and oriented, when taking readings, changes the measured value quite a bit. Besides, I'm retired and need another project. LOL.

I gotta get my sound meter back from a friend before I start. He's been using it in his shop to measure ambient and machine noise for his workers.

I just wanted to add, I recently drove with the Alpine system off on the highway. It seemed like there was more perceived noise. Is the active noise cancelling system in the JL dependent on the Alpine system being selected ON?
Not sure about the answer to your question as I have a JL Audio/Hertz setup. I would definitely focus on upgrading the door seals way before trying to soundproof the doors with a deadener. Otherwise, you're simply chasing your tail and aren't addressing the main source of the noise.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Not sure about the answer to your question as I have a JL Audio/Hertz setup. I would definitely focus on upgrading the door seals way before trying to soundproof the doors with a deadener. Otherwise, you're simply chasing your tail and aren't addressing the main source of the noise.
Thanks. I'm going to run a meter around the cab and see whats what.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)

You have the 2.0?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The carpeting is designed to be easily removed so you can hose out the tub if needed. Will the soundproofing material absorb water or moisture?

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Added seat warmers/heaters in both front seats.

bought watercarbon brand seat warmers. $105 for the pair.

this was a full day project!! Took 8 hours! I put the switches in the center console in front of the 4wd shifter and on the passenger side face for the passenger one.

I like the warmers, they’re not very fast to heat up but that may be because the fabric is so thick. Get yourself a good quality angles hog ring pliers. Here are a few pics. Seats were a bear so be patient and you’ll get them back to new without looking like they’ve been stripped.

8C27969E-7EDA-4DB5-A816-6069E86FFF48.jpeg

D6CE595C-9D34-4592-8123-8C410DB614F9.jpeg

63CA45EB-7049-45FF-B96E-1F4960260B35.jpeg

A05D929C-9877-4144-A63A-9258582B591F.jpeg
Way too much effort for me to get a little more quiet in a Wrangler. Probably would have been easier with the GC to make the roof removeable and put quick release hinges on the doors.

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Thanks. I'm going to run a meter around the cab and see whats what.
I am actually very interested to see how your project pans out. I have pretty severe tinnitus and I actually sold my Lj because I couldn’t physically drive it in because of the noise. I purchased the Jl because it is much quieter and I can still drive the Jeep to trails. I find mine is in the 75-76 dB range right now, I can deal with it for about an hour or two and then it starts to get too much. My F-150 is about 70-71 dB and I can drive in that all day. If I could get a 5 DB decrease in the Jl I would truly be happy.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I am actually very interested to see how your project pans out. I have pretty severe tinnitus and I actually sold my Lj because I couldn’t physically drive it in because of the noise. I purchased the Jl because it is much quieter and I can still drive the Jeep to trails. I find mine is in the 75-76 dB range right now, I can deal with it for about an hour or two and then it starts to get too much. My F-150 is about 70-71 dB and I can drive in that all day. If I could get a 5 DB decrease in the Jl I would truly be happy.
I'm pretty much in the same boat. Tinnitus, 14 GMC Sierra. Your 150 is likely a bit quieter. I may go into my GMC to add some sound proofing later. I think a 5 dba reduction would be a lot, more better. Most of the authoritative sources I've read indicated the doors were a big source of noise. Floors often have some sort of sound control already. Doors usually have less from the OEM. Luxury cars have a lot of noise control materials in the doors. Common folk cars, not so much. I bought a few different sound control materials, 2 thicknesses of Kilmat foil/butyl and 2 thicknesses of expanded polyethylene adhesive foam sheet. I'm still exploring if any other materials will be useful.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm pretty much in the same boat. Tinnitus, 14 GMC Sierra. Your 150 is likely a bit quieter. I may go into my GMC to add some sound proofing later. I think a 5 dba reduction would be a lot, more better. Most of the authoritative sources I've read indicated the doors were a big source of noise. Floors often have some sort of sound control already. Doors usually have less from the OEM. Luxury cars have a lot of noise control materials in the doors. Common folk cars, not so much. I bought a few different sound control materials, 2 thicknesses of Kilmat foil/butyl and 2 thicknesses of expanded polyethylene adhesive foam sheet. I'm still exploring if any other materials will be useful.
The doors have a sound insulating pad glued to the door skin. It's not much. I think it's only something like 12"x16" or something? The pad is also the source of the wavy or warped doors. The pads shrink when they bake the doors after paint. The shrinking deforms the aluminum door skins.

FCA tried something back in 4/2019 to help with the warping. They started slotting the glued in sound insulating pads. It does not look like it helped much?

DaddyEngineer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
That’s why I keep earplugs in mine, over about 30 minute trips the noise and tinnitus combine to start a migraine. I’ve made it to the Botox therapy for the migraines and it’s a miracle worker for me. Don’t even need the ear plugs, but it only lasts a couple of months so far.

Scott

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)