What costs should I expect to pay?

kurt13

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red JLU Rubi/4Runner
I hate car/truck shopping. I hate the negotiation. I hate the waiting. So if I find a dealer who will honor the Tread Lightly or Costco affiliate rates and I get a price of 1% below invoice on a JL, I'm happy. I don't want to battle for days for another couple of hundred dollars and still leave with a negative experience.

But if I get that price, what other costs are reasonable that I should expect to pay? I'm guessing the dealer delivery, tax, and title. Everything else is a money grab. Is that a fair way to look at it? Is there anything else I missed?
Sponsored

JaybearWL

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0t
Trim out a 2017 JK the way you'd like it, plus it up $2500 and my guess is that's your MSRP for JL.

I'm also guessing that you'll be able to get a JL at about a $2,000 - $2,500 discount. On a 2017 JK Sahara it looks like MSRP is about $1500 over invoice, and I bet you can do a tick or two under invoice, even on a JL.

Speculation.

Tax title and whatnot will vary greatly from state to state. I'm guessing the freedom-loving great state of Texas will minimize that stuff, but who knows.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
It should be extremely simple to find a dealer that will honor 1% below invoice. On my configuration, I am expecting that invoice will be roughly $2,500 lower than MSRP, so I should save about $3000 off a $55,000 build with my tread lightly discount.

At least in AZ, the doc fee is fixed to all customers. I.e., once they charge a rate, that's the rate they must charge all customers. Here is what I am anticipating to pay:

MSRP: $55,000 (delivered)
INVOICE: $52,500 (delivered).

MY COST: $51,975.

+ Fees
-- Doc fee: $399
-- Taxes (7.95% Scottsdale, AZ): $4,132.01

----- Title fee: $4.00.
----- Registration fee: $8.00.
----- Air quality fee: $1.50.
----- Air quality compliance fee: $0.25.
----- Vehicle License Tax: $873.18 (this is paid yearly, reduced 16% YoY)
-- NET OUT THE DOOR: $56,980.19. Or around $2,000 more than MSRP with all taxes/title/registration/doc fee.

OP
OP
kurt13

kurt13

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red JLU Rubi/4Runner
I shouldn't expect to pay the destination charge? Or that's included in the invoice price?

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I shouldn't expect to pay the destination charge? Or that's included in the invoice price?
Destination charge is included in the final price, you have to pay that. No one on the planet gets out of that one.

Sponsored

OP
OP
kurt13

kurt13

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red JLU Rubi/4Runner
Destination charge is included in the final price, you have to pay that. No one on the planet gets out of that one.
So- your NET OUT THE DOOR: $56,980.19 PLUS destination charge? Or when you say final price, it's already factored into the invoice price?

Sorry for being dense. I haven't bought a car in a decade and there's a lot more information today. I just want to be 100% sure I understand.

Rubiwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jkur
The destination charge is part of the price of the car. On the window sticker after the factory options you will see the dest charge. Below that is the total msrp price of the jeep. The charge is factored into the invoice price of the jeep that you would pay with the tread lightly discount.

I purchased a 17 jkur in Scottsdale about 5 months ago and guarnibl estimated out the door price on his JLUR is almost 16,000 more than my OTD price. Although my jkur is basic with just the hardtop, auto, 4.10, and connectivity group.

Last edited:

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So- your NET OUT THE DOOR: $56,980.19 PLUS destination charge? Or when you say final price, it's already factored into the invoice price?

Sorry for being dense. I haven't bought a car in a decade and there's a lot more information today. I just want to be 100% sure I understand.
Rubiwon's reply above is correct. Out the door price means that's what you pay to walk away with the vehicle. /sale over.

OP
OP
kurt13

kurt13

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red JLU Rubi/4Runner
Cool. Thanks everyone.

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
Might as well add a bottle of lube so more like $56,984.76 OTD. Dealer may have some available though and will throw it in.

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Might as well add a bottle of lube so more like $56,984.76 OTD. Dealer may have some available though and will throw it in.
Don't think it's that expensive for what you are getting... and 1% under invoice is a good deal. Can't replicate it for less. No doubt it's frivolous and not a need. My TJ is perfectly fine.

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
Don't think it's that expensive for what you are getting... and 1% under invoice is a good deal. Can't replicate it for less. No doubt it's frivolous and not a need. My TJ is perfectly fine.
I just think 56K is a lot of money, regardless of what you are receiving for it...I never said anything about 1% under invoice a bad deal. I am still buying a JL, but they are in fact fairly expensive vehicles, but so are most new vehicles these days!

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just think 56K is a lot of money, regardless of what you are receiving for it...I never said anything about 1% under invoice a bad deal. I am still buying a JL, but they are in fact fairly expensive vehicles, but so are most new vehicles these days!
Indeed. I think at least we're offered options that were previously only available from after market solutions, which in my experience, result in more money spent for sometimes an inferior experience.

But yes, $56,000 is a lot of money. No doubt about that!
Sponsored