What constitutes a "Jeep thing?"

bwright1818

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Long time Jeep owners often blow off little problems with the function or design of their vehicles, calling them, "Jeep Things." I have always felt this is one reason we wave to each other: Each knows the small annoyances the other is going through and knows they are okay with it. With the arrival of the less-than-stellar, over-priced JL, things are getting cloudy with the difference between what is a Jeep thing and what is a total piece of crap. My thought on starting this thread is for us to give our opinions on what is is truly a Jeep thing and what is not, with regard to the JL. I will start: When I open the driver's door of my hard top, in the rain, water pours off the front end of the gutter, onto the rocker panel and onto the floor mat. This is a Jeep Thing. When I drive down a flat road, my JL often bucks, shudders and misfires so badly that it runs worse than my weed whacker. This is NOT a Jeep thing. Your turn.
Sponsored

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
When I drive down a flat road, my JL often bucks, shudders and misfires so badly that it runs worse than my weed whacker. This is NOT a Jeep thing. Your turn.
Since mine and probably 99% of the other owners here donā€™t have that problem, have you considered your vehicle has a problem that a dealer should look at?

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Since mine and probably 99% of the other owners here donā€™t have that problem, have you considered your vehicle has a problem that a dealer should look at?
I agree here Bill, that's not the way your engine should run. And, definitely not a Jeep thing. I haven't owned my Jeep (first) long enough to be an expert on Jeep things, but I can understand the saying. And, after owning Corvette's for over 30 years I can definitely understand it's meaning. FCA certainly doesn't wear the crown for strange stuff. The whole of the matter is if you want to own a certain vehicle bad enough you will put up with the "things" that go with it. I hope your's is an easy fix, good luck.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Rough ride, wind noise, bad mpg, terrible handling in crosswinds, historically mediocre interior design, these are ā€œJeep thingsā€, and can mostly be ignored.

Significant mechanical issues are not normal, or acceptable. Leaking tops and ā€˜death wobbleā€™, which seems to now have expanded to mean any amount of steering and suspension instability, are not okay, but theyā€™re typical issues.

Sponsored

Dagwood

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1999 Jeep xj, 2008 Scion XB, 2015 Scion XB, 1966 Ford F100, 1969 Oldsmobile
What constitutes a jeep thing? To me it's something so stupid only a jeep owner would understand like me just ordering 35" tires to replace brand new 33" ones or taking a fresh washed jeep down a rutted up muddy half road for no other reason than you ran across it and it was there.

Dagwood

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1999 Jeep xj, 2008 Scion XB, 2015 Scion XB, 1966 Ford F100, 1969 Oldsmobile
What about a need to find out what it takes to get your brand new jeep stuck?

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Alongside my cars Iā€™ve owned far too many Ducatiā€™s and know all about ā€˜itā€™s a Ducati thingā€™. Thatā€™s exactly the same as ā€˜a Jeep thingā€™

We excuse their faults and foibles because we donā€™t follow the herd and we like to have ā€˜characterā€™ in our vehicles. Oh, and because weā€™re not going to admit to anybody else that weā€™ve spent too much money on them!

Sponsored