Sponsored

What color do you want for your JL/JLU/JT?

Jeep Momma

First Name
Tammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Plum Crazy Purple with Black Accents

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
No, paint codes are so you can identify a specific shade to colour match for body shops and 3rd party touch up sellers (although body shops will adjust for fade).
So it will be the same base colour, what they add it to where you might see the second colour might change the result, or the type of finish may change but the single base colour code stays the same.

If you have an example/list of them re-using colours in the Jeep that are completely different, I'd love to see it, because I have a few lists and none show that overlap you speak of.

The only fly in the ointment is that there was a colour match issue (recall/payout) with early Dozers at the factory to the point where they paid owners thousands of dollars for the error's inconvenience. So there is that annoyance if you liked the original faulty Dozer paint more than the later models.
My understanding Is both Hydro Blue and Tank had color codes that had previously been used for other colors (though not previously used for wranglers I don't think).

Tank is PGK which was also previously used for Deep Green for example.

robplumm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR in Dozer
The only fly in the ointment is that there was a colour match issue (recall/payout) with early Dozers at the factory to the point where they paid owners thousands of dollars for the error's inconvenience. So there is that annoyance if you liked the original faulty Dozer paint more than the later models.
Interesting. I'm guessing I almost got one of those. When mine came in (ordered it), Jeep pulled it from the dealer immediately. Apparently a rep came to the lot, inspected it and wouldn't let them sell it. They had a new one on the lot in 2 weeks from Toledo. (that was late Jan 2012)

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
My understanding Is both Hydro Blue and Tank had color codes that had previously been used for other colors (though not previously used for wranglers I don't think).

Tank is PGK which was also previously used for Deep Green for example.
What year was this "Deep Green" you speak of?
It's not in any of the lists I can see, and doesn't show up as a Wrangler colour on Google, instead bringing back results for Black Forest Green PGZ, which is not the same colour code or colour. Even Natural Green (my favourite green) isn't that, it's PGN.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting. I'm guessing I almost got one of those. When mine came in (ordered it), Jeep pulled it from the dealer immediately. Apparently a rep came to the lot, inspected it and wouldn't let them sell it. They had a new one on the lot in 2 weeks from Toledo. (that was late Jan 2012)
Yep, it was the early ones (and Dozer was a late colour [like Baja] which meant I had to wait for BOTH and then DOZER gets that issue !! :angry: OK.. calming down... so yeah, as a late colur that January one would be an early one that was affected.

Dozer also was one of about 3 colours IIRC that year that suffered particularly bad coverage issues, some people still say it's a global issue, but that year a few colours had even more gaps and thin areas, etc.

Love that colour though, and will need to see Acid in person to decide, but I have a strong feeling another Rubi Doozer will be my JLU to replace the one that was taken from me before her time. :crying:

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The new red looks nice, very old school Chrysler Inferno Red of my old Caravan 'ski-bus', or in Wrangler speak "Blaze Red Crystal" PRH, but it's actually just FireCracker PRC, which is also nice, just a bit brighter in real life than in the pictures on the line.

GI Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma, Waiting on next Wrangler
I think you're thinking of Chief Blue which is paint code PQB, which isn't quite the same as Jade's PQP which is more sea foamy than the lighter skyishness of Chief, but some similar elements.
LOVE Chief Blue on the Wrangler Chief Special Edition model!

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
What year was this "Deep Green" you speak of?
It's not in any of the lists I can see, and doesn't show up as a Wrangler colour on Google, instead bringing back results for Black Forest Green PGZ, which is not the same colour code or colour. Even Natural Green (my favourite green) isn't that, it's PGN.
http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?code=PGK&manuf=Chrysler&rows=50

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/paint-code-confusion-1240513.html#/topics/1240513

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Again, like I said, the paint code isn't re-used for a different shade, it's just called something else on another platform, it's still that colour. And they rarely ever double up on the Wrangler without it being a hint to the previous name, which is why Dozer and Nacho is interesting. It's not like it's Caterpillar yellow or Bulldozer or Construction yellow, but Nacho Libre yellow which doesn't harken back to the old name.

In that list you can also see where there is the 2 code combo for a shade like I mentioned earlier, where "Deep Green" for the 90s avenger where it's PGK+G36 so it's more than just the one colour because of a gloss or metallic ormwhatever finish.

You can call a colour something else, for example PHG is Plum Crazy on a Charger and then Extreme Purple on the 2016 Wrangler, and then Xtreme Purple on the 2017 Wrangler, but they are the same colour and didn't change shades in the naming process. PHG does change from a deep purple to a light fuchsia in the process.

So PY5 will still be the same shade of Orangish-Yelow whether they call it Dozer or Nacho Wrangler, calling it something else doesn't change that code & shade which is why they rely on paint codes. Most people don't care about the name of the colour, they care about the shade of that colour which is why robplumm and I are excited about with them bringing back the colour formerly known as Dozer.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Fine. I'm happy for you that dozer is coming back.

OP
OP
Vegas_Sirk

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
They still need a deep green like British Racing Green but they could call it "Forest Service Green" instead.

Corduroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Cherokee
From this thread...

- Granite Crystal Metallic Clear Coat
- Acid Yellow Clear Coat
- Firecracker Red
- Billet Silver Metallic Clear Coat
- Bright White Clear Coat
- Black Clear Coat
- Nacho Clear Coat

What happened to green? :( Gecko please FCA....

Are more colors coming mid 2018MY?
Sponsored