What CB Radio are you putting into the JL

Sloxkhart98

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangjer JL Rubicon
just curious to see what CB you guys are putting in the JL and where. I belive a lot of people use the Cobra 75.

Thanks

Scott
Sponsored

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect

ArmyCrawler

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black JL Rubi
Bearcat 980 SSB is what I will be putting in if my JL ever gets assembled ;-). Has weather bands and the side bands which gives you more options. You can also use a wireless mic for it if you end up mounting it a bit farther away. Not quite sure where I am going to put the thing since there are no mounts for under-seat or above mirror positioning yet.

https://www.amazon.com/Uniden-BEARC...qid=1517841447&sr=1-1&keywords=bearcat+980ssb

Hopefully it will be pretty easy to run a line to the rear for a tail light or tire mount antenna (when someone makes one for the JL...)

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
The Bearcat 980 is nice. I've got that radio in my JK. For this one, I'm going with something a bit smaller. A Bearcat CMX-760. I just have to figure out where to mount it.

Sponsored

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Hey what's your CB radio handle everybody? Mine is Rusty Nail. Do any of you know Candy Cane?

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Ive got a BCT15 I could put in. Forgot what my mobile and handheld HAMs.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Marine frequencies are illegal to use on land, for off-roading. HAM license is a big pain. Most Jeepers I run into on the trails have CBs.

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
I will be curious to see where people mount it. That is what makes the Cobra75 so nice. I had that on my last Jeep, but didn't think it was very clear being all in the "mic", so I may want to something more "normal sized". But each new Jeep makes the Dash panel more finished, so mounting electronics is more difficult. Not having one yet, I can't sit inside and figure it out, my guess will be on the dash, in the middle where the tray is, or above the mirror (not sure what's there though, can't block access to screws).

Sponsored

Nate

First Name
Mr. A-hole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2019 Grand Cherokee, 2018 Road King, 1996 Bronco
Occupation
Machinist, Gunsmith and Dumbass Whisperer
The newer UHF/VHF radios are more versatile. They can easily be programmed to use the same frequency as the handhelds you get in the stores (like cobra , midland and more) that use FRS/GMRS and there is more like MURS (registration fees to FCC for MURS) Can program in all NOAA frequencies. FRS Makes having a spotter easier to communicate with.

Some people use the radios to monitor HAM, but just don’t “key up” and talk. That’s a big negative.

Getting a HAM operator license is not that bad, study and test. It’s a versatile network that is great in case of natural disasters, especially when things like hurricanes knock out cell sites and more.

I own 4 radios myself, they are inexpensive and reliable for all situations and emergencies. I would definitely recommend.

https://baofengtech.com/

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
Marine frequencies are illegal to use on land, for off-roading. HAM license is a big pain. Most Jeepers I run into on the trails have CBs.
Radios like the RuggedRadios work in the commercial band. You do have to pay for an operators license but you don't have to have take the test HAM operators take. Do you think off-road race crews all have FCC AR licenses?

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
CB? Why? I haven't used CB's in a long time. Their performance is just so poor compared to handheld VHF/UHF radios like the one below.

https://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1167&products_id=1274
It's not uncommon for organized events to require participants to have a CB radio. Jeep Jamboree, for example:
Does my Jeep 4Ă—4 need special equipment for a Jamboree?
Yes! The following is MANDATORY for all vehicles:
  • CB radio is MANDATORY! There are many safety issues regarding upcoming obstacles transmitted over the CB radio by your trail guides. It is required that each vehicle have a CB radio. Learn interesting facts about the area – history, local plant and wildlife, as well as exciting stories.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
It's not uncommon for organized events to require participants to have a CB radio. Jeep Jamboree, for example:
Does my Jeep 4Ă—4 need special equipment for a Jamboree?
Yes! The following is MANDATORY for all vehicles:
  • CB radio is MANDATORY! There are many safety issues regarding upcoming obstacles transmitted over the CB radio by your trail guides. It is required that each vehicle have a CB radio. Learn interesting facts about the area – history, local plant and wildlife, as well as exciting stories.
My Rugged Radio VHF/UHF will pick up CB channels too. I've NEVER had a CB in my Jeep but I've gone to several Jamborees.
Sponsored