Sponsored

what causes an active regen to stop prematurely?

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Sometimes it's not convenient to keep driving:
  • I've tried leaving the Jeep idling, locking the door (using the door button rather than the fob), and running into the Post Office (for 2 minutes).
  • This morning I was pulling into my driveway with ice cream. Naturally, the regen comes on. I left the Jeep idling with the door opened - still regening. Ran into the house, came back 90 seconds later.
In both cases the regen was stopped when I returned to the vehicle. Anyone know the "triggers" to a premature regen termination? Vehicle in park? Idling too long? Melting ice cream?
Sponsored

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

• I've tried leaving the Jeep idling, locking the door (using the door button rather than the fob), and running into the Post Office (for 2 minutes).
  • This morning I was pulling into my driveway with ice cream. Naturally, the regen comes on. I left the Jeep idling with the door opened - still regening. Ran into the house, came back 90 seconds later.
In both cases the regen was stopped when I returned to the vehicle. Anyone know the "triggers" to a premature regen termination? Vehicle in park? Idling too long? Melting ice cream?
What instrument cluster on the dash do you use to see when the region is taking place I have not found that on mine yet would be interested to learn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
What instrument cluster on the dash do you use to see when the region is taking place I have not found that on mine yet would be interested to learn
Many of us are using Scangauge. It measures a lot of stuff and you can see 4 items at a time as below. I have for example selected to display DPF temps, EGT1 (Turbo/TRB) temps, Regen on/off and STM which is soot mass load in percentage. Other items you can see are different regions of exhaust/emmission systems, historical number of regens, load, etc.

These are some of the XGauges you can configure for EcoDiesel Ram or Jeep.
https://www.scangauge.com/x-gauge-commands/3-0l-ecodiesel/

Jeep Wrangler JL what causes an active regen to stop prematurely? 1617223180507

Last edited:
OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Like Capricorn, I use the Scangauge. Some diesel-specific read outs should be standard on these vehicles.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
I know for sure stopping at a stoplight for over a minute did not interrupt the regen.
I guess we may have to find the answers through our own trial & error methods.

Sponsored

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

Many of us are using Scangauge. It measures a lot of stuff and you can see 4 items at a time as below. I have for example selected to display DPF temps, EGT1 (Turbo/TRB) temps, Regen on/off and STM which is soot mass load in percentage. Other items you can see are different regions of exhaust/emmission systems, historical number of regens, load, etc.

These are some of the XGauges you can configure for EcoDiesel Ram or Jeep.
https://www.scangauge.com/x-gauge-commands/3-0l-ecodiesel/

Jeep Wrangler JL what causes an active regen to stop prematurely? 1617223180507
Ordered mine right up... thanks for the help

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
rickinAZ........Just shut it off. Why are you so worried about interrupting a regen? Do you realize that 99% of diesel owners just DRIVE their trucks and don't even know what a regen is? That's because the engineers have built interruptions into the system. If the DPF needs a regen to finish, then the ECU will start it again once the parameters are met during the next drive. I just recently had a regen start while driving down the interstate (I don't have a Scangauge, but if you watch instant MPG, you can see when one starts) and I arrived at my destination 5 minutes later. You could smell the tale tale sign of burning exhaust that it was in a regen. Shut the truck down a minute later after I let the turbo cool some. Apon restart, no regen happening as I jumped back on the interstate and was getting 30mpg on the instant MPG numbers. Drove 30 minutes home and no regen was restarted. This has happened numerous times over the past year of ownership. Same thing with my 2015 Cummins motor. Never had a problem or a message on the dash to continue driving.

Last edited:

No Spark V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubi 3.0 GCM
Clubs

I know for sure stopping at a stoplight for over a minute did not interrupt the regen.
I guess we may have to find the answers through our own trial & error methods.
Maybe putting it in park stops it then? I don't have a gauge yet to check this so I'll leave it up to someone else.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
I think they are usually temperature dependent. If the probes don't see a certain elevated temperature it shuts down the regen process. Next time it hits 78-80 soot, it starts over. And I also imagine putting it in park signals the regen to shut off as well.

An aside, I was told by many my 6.7L Ford diesel would not regen in park, and it definitely has. I'm still not in love with the regeneration systems, but from what I've seen, these things have gotten much much better.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
I think they are usually temperature dependent. If the probes don't see a certain elevated temperature it shuts down the regen process. Next time it hits 78-80 soot, it starts over. And I also imagine putting it in park signals the regen to shut off as well.

An aside, I was told by many my 6.7L Ford diesel would not regen in park, and it definitely has. I'm still not in love with the regeneration systems, but from what I've seen, these things have gotten much much better.
May also need minimum number of RPM too I presume?

Sponsored

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

rickinAZ........Just shut it off. Why are you so worried about interrupting a regen? Do you realize that 99% of diesel owners just DRIVE their trucks and don't even know what a regen is? That's because the engineers have built interruptions into the system. If the DPF needs a regen to finish, then the ECU will start it again once the parameters are met during the next drive. I just recently had a regen start while driving down the interstate (I don't have a Scangauge, but if you watch instant MPG, you can see when one starts) and I arrived at my destination 5 minutes later. You could smell the tale tale sign of burning exhaust that it was in a regen. Shut the truck down a minute later after I let the turbo cool some. Apon restart, no regen happening as I jumped back on the interstate and was getting 30mpg on the instant MPG numbers. Drove 30 minutes home and no regen was restarted. This has happened numerous times over the past year of ownership. Same thing with my 2015 Cummins motor. Never had a problem or a message on the dash to continue driving.
That's an interesting sign that region may be happening I often have my screen on the mpg I'll have to watch that one. Have you ever noticed an increase or decrease in your voltage meter during regen. For unexpected reasons mine will be slightly higher or lower I thought this might be a result of the regen process

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
That's an interesting sign that region may be happening I often have my screen on the mpg I'll have to watch that one. Have you ever noticed an increase or decrease in your voltage meter during regen. For unexpected reasons mine will be slightly higher or lower I thought this might be a result of the regen process
Huh.....next time I “catch” a regen, I’ll switch it over to the voltage gauge. I’m not sure why the voltage would change as electrical usage during a regen shouldn’t be increased/decreased. But, I’ll take a look.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Probably not. Unless you mean idle or above. It doesn't turn off stopped at a light....that I can tell.
I meant at idle RPM or below, it may stop. Yes, on the traffic stops, I also have observed that regen is not paused but the RPM when in gear is higher than idle RPM in Park.
Sponsored