Arterius2

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
How does the carbon fiber deal with trail abuse? It would be cool to see carbon fiber bumpers, rock rails, skid plates, winch mount, etc.
carbon fiber has a lot of tensile strength along the direction of the weave, but brittle. A cross-weaved carbon fiber will be super resistant to deformation, but will crack once the limit has been breached. So I donā€™t think they will be good for anything that will smash on top of rocks. Which is why I didnā€™t include them in the polls.

AD10395E-B114-4F3A-9FAD-50CDE2FCA5DA.jpeg

Last edited:

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
i'm not much in the carbon fiber stuff either but i would like to see the canoes that higbyz has.
Checkout Hornbeckboats.com. The boat is very light and strong but you dont want to hit rocks ! Hangin from the bedroom ceiling , drives my wife nuts ! She made me take the mirror off the ceiling , now she bangs her head on the canoe when she should be banging it on the headboard !

IMG_0734.JPG

IMG_0735.JPG

View attachment 234672

IMG_0738.JPG

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I too dont like the Carbon Fiber look. It has been waaaaay overdone, over the years. Possibly make a Roof, to save weight, but paint it to cover up the carbon fiber look.

Storminā€™ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Checkout Hornbeckboats.com. The boat is very light and strong but you dont want to hit rocks ! Hangin from the bedroom ceiling , drives my wife nuts ! She made me take the mirror off the ceiling , now she bangs her head on the canoe when it should be banging the headboard !
Maybe you should put some padding on the bottom of the boat so she doesn't knock herself out. Or i can send you the harness, pulley and counter-balance system i built for the Mrs. Safety first!

Sponsored

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe you should put some padding on the bottom of the boat so she doesn't knock herself out. Or i can send you the harness, pulley and counter-balance system i built for the Mrs. Safety first!
Maybe they cant read ! Too funny ! Tough crowd !

OP
OP
Arterius2

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
There is probably a decent market in the overland community for lightweight racks and storage.
Hey Jerry @Arterius2 , I really second Alex's thoughts here but admit to not having a material sciences level of understanding of carbon fiber--though I did read you points about in not doing well when load is exceeded or hard objects collide with it.

The roof rack market is one where really good ones are not easily removable. Weight certainly factors into that. Carbon fiber might be a real market disrupter in this space if strong, light weight, and cost competitive attributes are met.

Sponsored

lampatmyfeet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Will make this my first side project, I'll have him get the vents scanned and do some mock ups in 3D/CAD to see how it could potentially work. Unfortunately I don't have a Rubi hood, but this got me thinking if some sort of a functional hood vent could be modified to work on the Sahara/Sport hood, (with some cutting obviously), still cheaper than buying a new hood and get it painted.
I would be interested in the hood vents also

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
Checkout Hornbeckboats.com. The boat is very light and strong but you dont want to hit rocks ! Hangin from the bedroom ceiling , drives my wife nuts ! She made me take the mirror off the ceiling , now she bangs her head on the canoe when she should be banging it on the headboard !

IMG_0734.JPG

IMG_0735.JPG

View attachment 234672

IMG_0738.JPG
thanks for showing it and the link. nice looking canoes the only thing i worry about is the typical "abuse" it can handle as you would find in other canoes. as for abuse i mean handling, surface.scratches contact from land and water..

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
thanks for showing it and the link. nice looking canoes the only thing i worry about is the typical "abuse" it can handle as you would find in other canoes. as for abuse i mean handling, surface.scratches contact from land and water..
You have to be careful with it . But on the water it paddles so much easier than my Kayak and I can toss it on the roof of the Jeep or Audi , with ease. It will not take the typical abuse that an everyday canoe or plastic kayak gets. I get out of it while in the water ,then pick it up and carry it out. I can see a Wrangler top of carbon fiber.

Kona Damien

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 JLU Rubicon and ā€˜13 Grand Cherokee
Vehicle Showcase
I like the hood vents but would like to see interior pieces. Specifically door handles, replacements for the other ā€œaluminumā€ looking pieces like the steering wheel, HVAC vent rings and the HVAC button surround.

Edit... The quarter panel vents would be a great accessory to the hood vents too.

On a side note, I wish you and your friends tons of luck with this!
Sponsored