What axe and shovel are you using?

FairMcG

First Name
Frank McGuire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Renegade
I carry a full size Fiskars axe. It’s inappropriate, since it’s really a splitting axe, but it’s the only one I take into the field. I always keep a Gerber 2 jointed folding shovel under the seat. Not much digging power, but it’s always with me and has got me unstuck in situations I wasn’t expecting to get stuck in. I also have an old 12” Gerber folding saw I used in Boy Scouts. I don’t know if they still make it, but they definitely should if they don’t anymore. It zips through limbs faster than any other saw I’ve used. It’s nasty aggressive and cuts pine like butter.
It's a great choice. I got Fiskars x27 splitting axe. It’s lighter than the IsoCore maul I had before(comparison guide is here) and much more comfortable in using(6 lbs vs 8 makes the sense)

Last edited:

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
After using cheap axes and then using expensive axes it’s made me a convert lol.

lots of people like gransfors bruks for higher end axes but I tend to prefer hults bruks/hultafors a bit cheaper and like 99% of the quality, finish just may be ever so slightly lacking. I’ve got a mini hatchet all the way up to a boys axe in them. I usually reach for my 19” handle 800g head though for general work.

Council tool is a pretty decent quality American offering and honestly a full size 36” handle with 3.5lb head I find that the quality matters a little less than on the smaller stuff, I still spend some time getting the profile on the blade a bit better and sharpening it up though. I also realize I just wrote two paragraphs on axes.

my shovel is whatever surplus military tool was cheapest.
Sponsored