AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
l’m having a hard time selecting an axe & shovel combo. I’d like to see what you people are using and how you mount/carry them.
thanks in advance.
Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Depends on the season. I use a snow shovel in the winter, either Costco two-pack snow shovels or my Black Diamond. I use Gerber...or maybe it's Fiskars (same thing) axes; one splitting, one cutting. During the other seasons I change to a small shovel from Lowes/Walmart, wherever.

Edited to add (ETA): actually, I never use my axes, either one. They get carried because maybe, someday I'll need them, but I never really do. So, they're taking up space in the rig, but they don't actually serve much purpose.

missionale

First Name
Jeepie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
ok - not an Axe and Shovel (I use the bow saw/ Hults Bruk) and Krazy Beaver...but the person at THE BEAR ESSENTIALS OUTDOORS CO. makes THE nicest Bow Saw that I have seen and a really nice Carrying Sling. Carrying sling with Axe/Saw fit perfectly in back storage box.

Last edited:

Sponsored

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Will be adding a Saw soon. From Amazon:
AGAWA - BOREAL21 Backwoods Kit - 21 Inch Folding Bow Saw, 21" Premium Leather Sheath, Additional 21" Aggressive Blade

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
I carry a full size Fiskars axe. It’s inappropriate, since it’s really a splitting axe, but it’s the only one I take into the field. I always keep a Gerber 2 jointed folding shovel under the seat. Not much digging power, but it’s always with me and has got me unstuck in situations I wasn’t expecting to get stuck in. I also have an old 12” Gerber folding saw I used in Boy Scouts. I don’t know if they still make it, but they definitely should if they don’t anymore. It zips through limbs faster than any other saw I’ve used. It’s nasty aggressive and cuts pine like butter.

OP
OP
AZ Hella

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I carry a full size Fiskars axe. It’s inappropriate, since it’s really a splitting axe, but it’s the only one I take into the field. I always keep a Gerber 2 jointed folding shovel under the seat. Not much digging power, but it’s always with me and has got me unstuck in situations I wasn’t expecting to get stuck in. I also have an old 12” Gerber folding saw I used in Boy Scouts. I don’t know if they still make it, but they definitely should if they don’t anymore. It zips through limbs faster than any other saw I’ve used. It’s nasty aggressive and cuts pine like butter.
Gerber still makes the saw, I ordered a replacement for the 23 year old one my Son just broke.

MandKM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘73 CJ5, ‘19 2-door JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

An Ax is fine for splitting firewood, but not much help for trail clearing. I’ve used a Sven folding bowsaw in the past, but now prefer the Silky Bigboy folding pruning saw. The Silky has very aggressive teeth and is quicker to deploy. Both easily fit in the storage compartment below the tailgate.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I carry a Fiskars 28" chopping ax, and I've used it a few times. The biggest tree I cleared was about 6" in diameter, and that was a stupid amount of work. For anything bigger, I would want a chainsaw.

For my shovel, I carry a Tyger auto shovel. It's a little chintzy, as you'd expect from a collapsible shovel that fits into a small bag, but it's actually pretty tough, and it's useful.

Jeep Wrangler JL What axe and shovel are you using? 1642399038073

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
A saw may or may not be easier to carry, but I think it's infinitely better for clearing trails. I've got a bow saw, but found I never use it, so I leave it at home...probably like I should the axes.

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
An Ax is fine for splitting firewood, but not much help for trail clearing. I’ve used a Sven folding bowsaw in the past, but now prefer the Silky Bigboy folding pruning saw. The Silky has very aggressive teeth and is quicker to deploy. Both easily fit in the storage compartment below the tailgate.
I too find no use for an axe on the trail. I do bring an axe when camping. The Silky 2000 BigBoy is fantastic. Some people try and don’t like the Silky because they don’t realize the saw cuts on the pull only, not on the push.

As for shovel, I hope I don’t have to do any shoveling. I bought the shortest Ace Hardware branded shovel and just toss it in a plastic tub. Plano Sportsman or Rubbermaid Action Packer have both served me well. The edges of the Rubbermaids are often sharp so I sand them down.

Dgr401

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S - Granite Crystal
Occupation
Retired
I don’t have a need for an axe as my off-road is mainly on the beach when fishing. I carry 2 shovels, a military surplus folding shovel/hoe and a long handle shovel. The small shovel is in the Jeep all the time and the long handle I carry when going to the beach. The long handle is a back saver. I have the Yakima rack for carrying long handle tools or kayak paddles.

Last edited:

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
No axe in my Jeep since forest trails are done on two wheels, not four. :)

As for a shovel? Yep. East German surplus entrenching tool. Great value for the money.
Sponsored