What are you paying on your 2021?

linkfeeney

First Name
link
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma Trd-Off Road
Wow! A $500 “doc fee” is the highest I’ve ever heard.

Doc fees are an amazing invention that seems to be nearly universal now, but there was no such thing prior to about 1990. Paying clerks to manage dealer paperwork has been a cost of doing business since the beginning of time, just like paying lot attendants to wash cars, and paying janitors to clean the facilities, but we don’t get charged “lot attendant prep fees” or “facility fees”. Yet.

Dealers are free to add any imaginary fees they choose. I just ask for the true “out the door price” excluding DMV fees and taxes. That way I don’t care if the dealer claims they’re selling at 20% below invoice and charging $14,000 in made up fees. The only thing that matters is the bottom line. A net of 6% below invoice is pretty good with no factory money.
so I saw a you tube video once on the doc fee... the dealer mandatory fee, but it is not a law that you have to do it or they can just subtract that doc fee onto the negotiate price of the car, you still paying the doc fee... in an away.
Sponsored

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
so I saw a you tube video once on the doc fee... the dealer mandatory fee, but it is not a law that you have to do it or they can just subtract that doc fee onto the negotiate price of the car, you still paying the doc fee... in an away.
Of course. It’s just a made up fee. It’s no different from airlines suddenly deciding to charge a “baggage fee”.

It’s just a creative way of adding profit. Dealers are free to do that. The part that’s irritating is it allows them to advertise a vehicle for a price they won’t actually sell the vehicle for — a way of tricking people while skirting the “truth in advertising“ line. Sleazy and deceptive, but perfectly legal. That’s how many, many car dealers do their business.

Years ago I went to buy one of my kids a saxophone on eBay. There were lots of saxes for sale for under $100, but they’d have shipping fees of $700 to $1000 or more. Obviously, both prices were fictions, each for different reasons.

Most people want to know what they are actually paying for something, but there are lots of folks involved in retail trying to hide the ball...

Last edited:

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Wow! A $500 “doc fee” is the highest I’ve ever heard.
Hang around the pricing threads and you'll "Wow" even more. :) $900 or more is pretty standard in Florida. One of the east coast dealers that gets highly recommended has a fee of $800. There's one dealer in Georgia that doesn't charge a document fee but they sell at invoice. As you pointed out, you really need to focus on the out the door price when car shopping.

Later,
Johnny

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
In NYC, my doc fee is 850/diollars...I change cars like i change my socks, so this is standard...i will likely be getting about 150-200 returned

linkfeeney

First Name
link
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
are you guys really paying this doc fee or during review the paperwork, you guys tell them to subtract it off the car?

Sponsored

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
are you guys really paying this doc fee or during review the paperwork, you guys tell them to subtract it off the car?
In my case the dealer estimates the title, registration fees then sends me the money back less than what I just said

linkfeeney

First Name
link
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In my case the dealer estimates the title, registration fees then sends me the money back less than what I just said
where in the city are you? I used to live in North Jersey,,, I go to the city alot then,,, but now im in south jersey

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
where in the city are you? I used to live in North Jersey,,, I go to the city alot then,,, but now im in south jersey
I am in Staten Island, originally from Brooklyn. Buy my cars in Flemington NJ

Sponsored

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
Hang around the pricing threads and you'll "Wow" even more. :) $900 or more is pretty standard in Florida. One of the east coast dealers that gets highly recommended has a fee of $800.
I don’t trade Vehicles as often as I used to, but I still end up buying one or two per year. The highest “doc fee” I’ve seen in the northwest was $350 and I squealed like a stuck pig when I saw that.

We bought our Raptor in Maine because nobody in the northwest would sell one without a HUGE ADM, and the dealer in Maine had exactly what I wanted. (I wanted a four-door with every option except the look-at-me-graphics. Apparently, the graphics were popular.) It only took a few minutes to make the deal, but I followed up with an email saying, “We have no sales tax in Oregon, and I will pay the $258 licensing fee to get the plates before I leave Oregon, so the wire I send will constitute payment in full for the truck. I’ll need the sales documents and MSO by return FedEx by the end of the week. My wife and I will be flying across the country to pick up the truck, so I am confirming that the price of $XXXXX.XX constitutes the full cost. I understand there will be no additional fees for assembly, preparation, detailing, undercoating, top-coating, door guards, invisible barriers, glass etching, extended warranties, document preparation, anti-theft chips or electronics, and there will be no other imaginative added charges or costs of any kind. If that is acceptable to you, I can wire the money tomorrow morning.”

linkfeeney

First Name
link
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t trade Vehicles as often as I used to, but I still end up buying one or two per year. The highest “doc fee” I’ve seen in the northwest was $350 and I squealed like a stuck pig when I saw that.

We bought our Raptor in Maine because nobody in the northwest would sell one without a HUGE ADM, and the dealer in Maine had exactly what I wanted. (I wanted a four-door with every option except the look-at-me-graphics. Apparently, the graphics were popular.) It only took a few minutes to make the deal, but I followed up with an email saying, “We have no sales tax in Oregon, and I will pay the $258 licensing fee to get the plates before I leave Oregon, so the wire I send will constitute payment in full for the truck. I’ll need the sales documents and MSO by return FedEx by the end of the week. My wife and I will be flying across the country to pick up the truck, so I am confirming that the price of $XXXXX.XX constitutes the full cost. I understand there will be no additional fees for assembly, preparation, detailing, undercoating, top-coating, door guards, invisible barriers, glass etching, extended warranties, document preparation, anti-theft chips or electronics, and there will be no other imaginative added charges or costs of any kind. If that is acceptable to you, I can wire the money tomorrow morning.”
yeah delaware has no sales tax too.... crazy on how much you can save from the money grabbing states...I can buy a car in DE but registering here in NJ I would pay that 6.63% sales tax...

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
yeah delaware has no sales tax too.... crazy on how much you can save from the money grabbing states...I can buy a car in DE but registering here in NJ I would pay that 6.63% sales tax...
Yep, NY and NJ 2 shitholes. They get u whatever way the can

Scott2

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 TJ
2021 JLU Sport Altitude w/ Tech group, LEDs, Safety group, Anti-spin differential

Factory ordered on 11/25. Took delivery 12/24 (Merry Christmas!).

MSRP = $44,680
Invoice = $42,998
Negotiated price including tread lightly = $39,098 (9.1% below invoice)
Between ordering and taking delivery I received $1,000 bonus cash allowance from Jeep via email
Updated price = $38,098 (11.4% below invoice)

OTD Price = $38,098 + $500 dealer fee + TTL

Jeep Wrangler JL What are you paying on your 2021? IMG_16082

Last edited:

beast40

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
What does EP stand for on the build sheet? And is that a fair price to pay for a Rubicon?
Sponsored