FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The JK is looking better all the time. Dana 44 rear instead of 35, one piece axle shafts in the front instead of the two-piece on the passenger side, lower price point, more "military" seating position and interior feel, and all the bugs are worked out of it after a decade on the market.

I may actually buy another JK instead of a JL.
JLs dont have Dana 35s though, its all HD44s in the rear, even the base sport.....and the CAD delete will be one of the first aftermarket upgrades available you can probably count on that. 5% off invoice at Koons is being offered. So basically you like uncomfortable seating positions and a dull interior....your arguments suggest you need a TJ Rubicon (since you want 44s otherwise id say a CJ2A)....or a duece duece....but def. not a JK.

Bugs have been worked out of those for 2 decades +, TJ seating might be a bit too comfortable though....
Sponsored

SoCalWrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2019
Occupation
Engineer/ Real Estate Agent
Vehicle Showcase
Sold mine last year for the JL, waiting waiting to add the options up now!

jEEP.jpg

jEEP.jpg

jp.jpg

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
Thinking of trading my JK for a 2018 Ford Raptor. I want a JL but the 3.6 Pentestar is just not trustworthy and unproven beyond 100k miles. I just spent $1900 due to the sludge from casting sand in the cooling system and there is no evidence that it isn't still occurring, since some 2017's have had it as well. I don't know that I want to go that route again. I don't know that the 4 cyl is a good idea, so that leaves the 3.0L down the road. We love the 3.0 in our WK2, but I don't know that I want another one just due to the maintenance. I'd also have to see where the put the DEF system since it's the most vulnerable part on the wK2 and simply hitting a puddle of water too fast can destroy it.
My 2012 at 90K miles
FG8A0267-Edit-X2-XL.jpg

Last edited:

robplumm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR in Dozer
Mine's a 2012 JKUR in Dozer...bit over 48k miles on it right now.

Will most likely trade it in for the 3.0 next year. Depending on pricing and trade-in value.

17FreedomChief

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Freedom Edition in Chief
JLs dont have Dana 35s though, its all HD44s in the rear, even the base sport.....and the CAD delete will be one of the first aftermarket upgrades available you can probably count on that. 5% off invoice at Koons is being offered. So basically you like uncomfortable seating positions and a dull interior....your arguments suggest you need a TJ Rubicon (since you want 44s otherwise id say a CJ2A)....or a duece duece....but def. not a JK.

Bugs have been worked out of those for 2 decades +, TJ seating might be a bit too comfortable though....
With the JL the Sport comes with a 35 rear not the 44. You can add the 44 but is an added cost.

Sponsored

OP
OP

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zj
Well I traded my JK away on a Lexus ES350 while I wait for the diesel and power top. Bit of a culture shock going from a JK sport with manual windows and locks to an ES350

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
Thinking of trading my JK for a 2018 Ford Raptor. I want a JL but the 3.6 Pentestar is just not trustworthy and unproven beyond 100k miles. I just spent $1900 due to the sludge from casting sand in the cooling system and there is no evidence that it isn't still occurring, since some 2017's have had it as well. I don't know that I want to go that route again. I don't know that the 4 cyl is a good idea, so that leaves the 3.0L down the road. We love the 3.0 in our WK2, but I don't know that I want another one just due to the maintenance. I'd also have to see where the put the DEF system since it's the most vulnerable part on the wK2 and simply hitting a puddle of water too fast can destroy it.
My 2012 at 90K miles
FG8A0267-Edit-X2-XL.jpg
Can't go wrong with an '18 Raptor! Though if Jeep does it right with the JT Scrambler, mine will have to find a new home!

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation

They don't all have 44s. The data posted here has shown 35s in the rear, unless you order a Rubicon.

There's also less choice in the JL. For example, 3.45s are the axle ratio. No option for 3.21s, 3.73s, 4.10s, etc. 3.45s...that's what you get. Unless, of course, you upgrade to the top trim level.

I just built a 2-door Sport and added A/C and the towing package. It comes to $32,000. That's nuts. There will be no such thing as a sub-$30,000 Wrangler anymore, because only the people who live in Canada are going to do without air conditioning.

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
but the 3.6 Pentestar is just not trustworthy and unproven beyond 100k miles. I just spent $1900 due to the sludge from casting sand in the cooling system and there is no evidence that it isn't still occurring, since some 2017's have had it as well.
The urban myth of the casting sand continues...
I have my 3.6s flushed annually now. I caught the sludge in mine early and cleaned it out. Honestly I think it's the long life coolant breaking down over time. I keep putting the Mopar stuff back in in case Jeep ever figures it out and takes care of us with issues stemming from it. At this point, it seems Jeep will never own up - the next flush will just be prestone coolant and be done with it.
Sponsored