Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
...Sorry about what your going through....

Why does the Jeep have to be sold? I never sold a vehicle in a divorce. She kept hers, I kept mine.
This tho.
Sponsored

Craigger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Clubs

This tho.
I'm guessing - going through assets and establishing values so whomever keeps a particular item has to "buy out" the other party for 1/2 the value. If OP plans on keeping the Jeep - understandably doesn't want to over-pay to be able to do so.

Hpc3

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler(s)
Carmax only considers the value of a stock vehicle. Tried them when I sold the JK, they don't take into account any of the aftermarket upgrades you slap on.

Not sure about the other two though.
Perfect if OP is planning on keeping the Jeep. Always get a 3rd party valuation unless OP and the Ex can find a balanced compromise.

Best wishes OP. BTDT.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I'm guessing - going through assets and establishing values so whomever keeps a particular item has to "buy out" the other party for 1/2 the value. If OP plans on keeping the Jeep - understandably doesn't want to over-pay to be able to do so.
:( Never understood this. If I'm divorcing someone, I definitely wouldn't want to take something that has no value to me that my soon to-be-ex loves. I mean, parting ways should be just that...I understand splitting assets may be necessary...but someone's used vehicle? I've never understood that one...

If she has her own vehicle, then couldn't he just keep his? That seems quite logical to me.

OP
OP
BullMoose1776

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
All the above comments are true. Depending on how heavily modded some vehicles are, a dealer won’t take for trade or will only offer wholesale/auction price.

Sorry about what your going through. Been through it twice. There are probably many on the site who would be going through the same thing if their wife knew how much was spent on some of the mods, or redo of mods, that they have done.

Why does the Jeep have to be sold? I never sold a vehicle in a divorce. She kept hers, I kept mine.
I am not selling it (not planning to sell it...). We are in the valuation phase of assets and liabilities.

Sponsored

Craigger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Clubs

:( Never understood this. If I'm divorcing someone, I definitely wouldn't want to take something that has no value to me that my soon to-be-ex loves. I mean, parting ways should be just that...I understand splitting assets may be necessary...but someone's used vehicle? I've never understood that one...

If she has her own vehicle, then couldn't he just keep his? That seems quite logical to me.
Very logical and you seem like a reasonable person. It's amazing how reason and logic go out the window in a divorce. It doesn't help when the lawyers start chiming in on "what you're entitled to".

The quicker both parties realize that both sides lose and there are no winners in that game, the smoother it goes. But that's a whole other thread...

OP
OP
BullMoose1776

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Perfect if OP is planning on keeping the Jeep. Always get a 3rd party valuation unless OP and the Ex can find a balanced compromise.

Best wishes OP. BTDT.
Well, if we could find balance and compromise, we wouldn't be here, lol!

OP
OP
BullMoose1776

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager

Agree.

J2K66

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURXR
The mods are too personal to add any value (historically, they may even hurt the value). Get 3 appraisals and average them out... or get 10 appraisals and pick the lowest 3 to average while hiding the other 7 :)

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
The times they are a changin' at the ol' Moosie house.

Getting a divorce, and I am trying to understand the value of upgrades.

I content that if I sold the Jeep today, the value would be zero. My soon to be ex believes the value is what I paid for the parts.

Answer is probably somewhere in the middle. What do y'all think?
@mgroeger

New Jeep opportunity.

Sponsored

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Mods add little to no value as a trade-in or resell. If you take them off and sell them separately expect to get less than 50% of what you paid for them if they are in like-new condition.

OP
OP
BullMoose1776

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link