What are the tailgate vents really for?

pnut

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392 XR
It has multi function use but every vehicle has vents or someway of relieving the air pressure in the cab to offset the additional air pressure buildup when closing a door for example or having an exhaust for the surplus air when putting your heater fan on or also reducing the wind noise of having only one open window while driving sometimes creating a pressure build-up inside and annoying sound we all have experienced at some point in older vehicles. I think this is also why the vents (called cab relief vents/exhaust vents) are usually a rubber membrane that is made to open up on positive pressure but closure on Negative pressure to ensure cold air doesn't "get in" which it probably does a bit anyways.

https://jalopnik.com/heres-what-those-rubber-flaps-are-hidden-behind-your-re-1828016409
This.

I have been an interior product engineer for 25 years working as a supplier to the OEM's. Maybe 15 years ago I worked on a project (A Jeep product ironically) where I had to dive into this with Jeep. What is said above is correct. Every car has one, it's just on most cars it is hidden behind a trunk or cargo trim panel at the floor. The more twisty the path the better to prevent noise intrusion into the cabin.

On older Jeeps you were basically driving a tent so they weren't as important, but in a new Wrangler with a hard top and hard doors, the seal is good, and these are necessary. Probably less necessary even in a 2021 with a soft top, but since the tailgate is designed for all Wranglers.....
Sponsored

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
mine just seems to draw dust in. Not so bad in the winter when I have the top on and the windows up. But if the top is off or the windows are open it brings in a considerable amount of dust.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I'm happy to say that my door, window, and roof seals are as water tight as a dolphins asshole. During a few storms, I've come to a dead stop in the middle of a flooded over road, where the water was a few inches over my 38's. All but 1 of those occasions was just because I could cross through it when everyone else was detouring, and I was familiar with the road. That 1 time was to rescue a father and daughter who were sitting on the roof of a car that had its dashboard under water. Fortunately, the rains were long gone. It was late autumn, water was cold, and the father admitted that he wasn't sure that he'd have been able to carry her the decent distance to dry land. I helped her climb through my passenger front window, and he rode the lod Destroyers to the dry before getting in. I drove them home after we stopped for coffees and hot chocolate. A few months later and we still talk every couple of weeks. They want my wife and I to come over for a BBQ this summer. Cool family.
Uh, how would you know how tight a dophin's asshole is?? :CWL:

Inquiring minds want to know.....

and I stopped reading your post after the first sentence

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Uh, how would you know how tight a dophin's asshole is?? :CWL:

Inquiring minds want to know.....

and I stopped reading your post after the first sentence
Oh yeah, sure, like I'm the only one who did a lot of drinking and experimenting in high school, and lived near an aquarium. Pft!
Jeep Wrangler JL What are the tailgate vents really for? tenor (10)

Sponsored

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
Let me take a guess: You have mounted Quadratec (or similar) entry guards - remove them and you don‘t see any light (at least that‘s the way it was with my JLU...).
Good guess I do have the Quadratec sill protectors.

SnoWhite

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Good guess I do have the Quadratec sill protectors.
You will find heaps on this on the forum - I still cannot believe that this issue has been around for years and Quadratec is still selling them without changing anything about the design...:facepalm:

This whole topic is probably the reason why the Mopar sill guards are so „small“.

I took my Quadratec sill guards off and had some heavy-duty wrapping with a rough surface (like the one that is sometimes used on truck beds) fitted - other then the Mopar sill guards it protects the entire sills, does not obstruct the door seal (like the Quadratec „solution“) and looks very inconspicuous. In one word: It works like a charm! (And it’s cheaper than anyother door sill guard that I know of...)

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
I'm happy to say that my door, window, and roof seals are as water tight as a dolphins asshole. During a few storms, I've come to a dead stop in the middle of a flooded over road, where the water was a few inches over my 38's. All but 1 of those occasions was just because I could cross through it when everyone else was detouring, and I was familiar with the road. That 1 time was to rescue a father and daughter who were sitting on the roof of a car that had its dashboard under water. Fortunately, the rains were long gone. It was late autumn, water was cold, and the father admitted that he wasn't sure that he'd have been able to carry her the decent distance to dry land. I helped her climb through my passenger front window, and he rode the lod Destroyers to the dry before getting in. I drove them home after we stopped for coffees and hot chocolate. A few months later and we still talk every couple of weeks. They want my wife and I to come over for a BBQ this summer. Cool family.
Such a good story
Sponsored