What are the tailgate vents really for?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
no, that is a function of frameless windows, to make the proper seal and protect the glass.
My Camaro did this. I agree, it's about making a good seal/preventing damage to seals.
Sponsored

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
no, that is a function of frameless windows, to make the proper seal and protect the glass.
Hmmm, makes sense. wait, what? Could it be that I learned something new today??
:like:

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
Well there are two explanations. The first is the obvious myth that these are for cabin ventilation and air pressure. The more plausible and ACTUAL explanation is the vents are portal to another dimension where everyone drives a Jeep. Adults kids babies. It's All Jeep all the time. When you are born, you get a Jeep. There are no destination charges. Accessories are dispensed from vending machines inside every Dunkin Donuts location. Because, you know...Donuts! If you need a part or whatever and its not at Dunkin Donuts, then you just tap the Uconnect 16.4 screen, order the item and its delivered wherever you are in 14 minutes. Over in that other dimension, they have a body bolt extractor that zips it right out and not a single body bolt has ever been broken. Windshields in that dimension don't break. Period. No one works, they just explore the vast. rich and diverse landscape. The food is amazing.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Well there are two explanations. The first is the obvious myth that these are for cabin ventilation and air pressure. The more plausible and ACTUAL explanation is the vents are portal to another dimension where everyone drives a Jeep. Adults kids babies. It's All Jeep all the time. When you are born, you get a Jeep. There are no destination charges. Accessories are dispensed from vending machines inside every Dunkin Donuts location. Because, you know...Donuts! If you need a part or whatever and its not at Dunkin Donuts, then you just tap the Uconnect 16.4 screen, order the item and its delivered wherever you are in 14 minutes. Over in that other dimension, they have a body bolt extractor that zips it right out and not a single body bolt has ever been broken. Windshields in that dimension don't break. Period. No one works, they just explore the vast. rich and diverse landscape. The food is amazing.
Jeep Wrangler JL What are the tailgate vents really for? 75c

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
Allows air to escape??? I'm chuckling......you can see daylight under two of my doors when they are shut in my 2021. Won't speak for other Wrangler owners but I sure don't have to worry about letting air escape when door is closed.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Allows air to escape??? I'm chuckling......you can see daylight under two of my doors when they are shut in my 2021. Won't speak for other Wrangler owners but I sure don't have to worry about letting air escape when door is closed.
First time my wife was with me at the Costco car wash in the JL, I was putting my arm up across the top of the door as we went into the hard spray section of the car wash. She asked what I was doing, just about the time she got sprayed in the face through her door seal. 😆

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
My 85 Toyota Land Cruiser had them. Pressure equalization.

I've got a tailgate table on my 19 JLUR and haven't had any issues with blowing out windows when shutting doors.

Hell, if you sit and listen after you shut off the engine, the fresh air vents open up in the AC airbox.

We aren't driving a Rolls Royce here! These jeeps aren't air tight!

Damn near impossible to make a vehicle with removable front window, doors and top airtight.

dski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubi 4dr
Occupation
small business owner
Tailgate Exhauster
Mopar 68323649AB
how about that! So does that mean it exits on the side of the gate after the seal?

We need to do a study. I propose a Cheech and Chong smoke filled cabin test repeated with and without a tailgate table to see where the smoke is exhausted.

So, we need a volunteer vehicle for each....

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer

Sponsored

dski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubi 4dr
Occupation
small business owner
I'm exhausted...
Sorry, I have a 35" tire hanging on the back for the past few years. Don't recall if the vents are behind it or not. I do recall seeing smaller vents on the side of the gate protected by the jam though....

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I propose a Cheech and Chong smoke filled cabin test repeated with and without a tailgate table to see where the smoke is exhausted.
Dave isn't here.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Some interesting information here on those oversized tailgate vents. So, when I replaced my tailgate hinges I was really surprised at the fact that one side of the vent is more than adequate. They only make sense if you ignore all of the incidental Jeep air leaks. I'm sure it's already be mentioned. Also, for those who are stating that the air through the fan is restricted when no external flap is open to allow the air to escape. There are no blower fan boxes or vent systems that rely solely on airflow from outside air. It is blended with the air that is inside simultaneously. If you enable the recirculate option, then close to 100% of the cabin air is circulated. I've never seen a system that brings in 100% of outside fresh air and only that is pushed through the climate control system. It's a blended mix of outside fresh air and cabin air. So, if a person does block those tailgate vents by some modification, the air will still flow through the climate control system. There are just too many air leaks for it to be a real problem for any climate control scenario you can think of.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I'm happy to say that my door, window, and roof seals are as water tight as a dolphins asshole. During a few storms, I've come to a dead stop in the middle of a flooded over road, where the water was a few inches over my 38's. All but 1 of those occasions was just because I could cross through it when everyone else was detouring, and I was familiar with the road. That 1 time was to rescue a father and daughter who were sitting on the roof of a car that had its dashboard under water. Fortunately, the rains were long gone. It was late autumn, water was cold, and the father admitted that he wasn't sure that he'd have been able to carry her the decent distance to dry land. I helped her climb through my passenger front window, and he rode the lod Destroyers to the dry before getting in. I drove them home after we stopped for coffees and hot chocolate. A few months later and we still talk every couple of weeks. They want my wife and I to come over for a BBQ this summer. Cool family.

SnoWhite

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Let me take a guess: You have mounted Quadratec (or similar) entry guards - remove them and you don‘t see any light (at least that‘s the way it was with my JLU...).
Sponsored