Sponsored

What are the tailgate vents really for?

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Does anybody really know what the tail gate vents are for?

I have read several threads that offered plausible conjecture, common sense rationale, random guessing, and/or make believe fantasy stories.

When were the tailgate vents were introduced to Jeep bodies?

Was there ever an official manufacturer's statement indicating the actual intended purpose?

Thank you.
Sponsored

Karnak

First Name
Yan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL 3.6 Sport S - 2 door
Occupation
government
Vehicle Showcase
It has multi function use but every vehicle has vents or someway of relieving the air pressure in the cab to offset the additional air pressure buildup when closing a door for example or having an exhaust for the surplus air when putting your heater fan on or also reducing the wind noise of having only one open window while driving sometimes creating a pressure build-up inside and annoying sound we all have experienced at some point in older vehicles. I think this is also why the vents (called cab relief vents/exhaust vents) are usually a rubber membrane that is made to open up on positive pressure but closure on Negative pressure to ensure cold air doesn't "get in" which it probably does a bit anyways.

https://jalopnik.com/heres-what-those-rubber-flaps-are-hidden-behind-your-re-1828016409

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I really doubt Jeep would release a manufacturer statement on an item which is included on every car/truck. These vents help to reduce the pressure inside the cab so when you close a door the windows don't pop out or burst.

My first pickup, a 77 Chevy, had these kind of vents on the back wall of the cab.....so they've been around awhile.

Those vents aren't necessarily important on a soft top (especially older CJ's, YJ's, and TJ's) due to the fitment of the soft top naturally not allowing a build up of air pressure. Not sure if my 77 CJ-5 had tailgate vents, it's been too long since I had it.

OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Last edited:

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2012 Subaru Outback, 2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Owner of a Mobile Auto Paint Touch Up Co.
It has multi function use but every vehicle has vents or someway of relieving the air pressure in the cab to offset the additional air pressure buildup when closing a door for example or having an exhaust for the surplus air when putting your heater fan on or also reducing the wind noise of having only one open window while driving sometimes creating a pressure build-up inside and annoying sound we all have experienced at some point in older vehicles. I think this is also why the vents (called cab relief vents/exhaust vents) are usually a rubber membrane that is made to open up on positive pressure but closure on Negative pressure to ensure cold air doesn't "get in" which it probably does a bit anyways.

https://jalopnik.com/heres-what-those-rubber-flaps-are-hidden-behind-your-re-1828016409
This is the correct answer.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
You're not going to find a design statement from Jeep. But even the 70s GM and Ford cars had vents in various locations. They started showing up after the lawsuits on carbon monoxide poisoning in the 60s, which forced car makers to take a good look at cabin ventilation. If you were to look for a design standand, possibly SAE would be a likely source.

If this inquiry stems from what tailgate table to get, I had the same concern with some of the more popular ones that completely block the vents.

dski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubi 4dr
Occupation
small business owner
All cars allow air to escape the vehicle by design
You're not going to find a design statement from Jeep. But even the 70s GM and Ford cars had vents in various locations. They started showing up after the lawsuits on carbon monoxide poisoning in the 60s, which forced car makers to take a good look at cabin ventilation. If you were to look for a design standand, possibly SAE would be a likely source.

If this inquiry stems from what tailgate table to get, I had the same concern with some of the more popular ones that completely block the vents.
Not a factory rep anymore...but i do know this is true. Modern vehicles are not air tight by design and air is going to flow through the vehicle. I cannot speak to the tailgate vents and all of the answers above are plausible.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Tailgate Exhauster
Mopar 68323649AB

Jeep Wrangler JL What are the tailgate vents really for? 68323649AB

Jeep Wrangler JL What are the tailgate vents really for? t

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
All cars allow air to escape the vehicle by design

And vents are that design feature.

As car manufacturers are driven to make quieter vehicles, they necessarily incorporate more air tight sealing of all the cabin doors, windows and other panels. Most vehicles today have double door seals due to the market demand for quieter cabins.

So, completely blocking the tailgate vents with a table is a no-sale for me.

drivingfool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4XE Rubi
My TJ had the vents in the hard top. You could see them flutter when closing a door.
I wouldn't block the tailgate vents unless it was topless or a soft top.

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Does anybody really know what the tail gate vents are for?

I have read several threads that offered plausible conjecture, common sense rationale, random guessing, and/or make believe fantasy stories.

When were the tailgate vents were introduced to Jeep bodies?

Was there ever an official manufacturer's statement indicating the actual intended purpose?

Thank you.
Hard top on, doors on, windows up, and front-window down. Needs the vents or will blow out the windows....

Truth or urban legend? Not sure, but sounds good ;)

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
Throw the tailgate shit when all the doors and windows are closed. You can hear the flaps open and shut with the pressure change inside the Jeep. :like:

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely to prevent excess pressure when closing doors. I've had a couple of cars that would automatically crack the power window just a bit when opening the door. After the door was closed, it would automatically roll back up. Serves the same purpose.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Definitely to prevent excess pressure when closing doors. I've had a couple of cars that would automatically crack the power window just a bit when opening the door. After the door was closed, it would automatically roll back up. Serves the same purpose.
no, that is a function of frameless windows, to make the proper seal and protect the glass.

jdhunt0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited
Mine flop around and rattle. Is that not their intended purpose?
Sponsored