First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Sport S 2Dr / 2015 Rubicon JKU/2020 Willys JLU Diesel
Occupation
Working to pay my Taxes
I was incorrect in stating delivery miles were 46. They were 26.

The dealership noted the gouge in the freedom panel and had already ordered the replacement. Failed to lay down and check undercarriage. Wasn’t noticeable until I got under it to install Mopar performance rock rails.

I’m still with 24 hours of purchase. No way I caused rust in 24 hours. Biggest concern is the rust and ensuring my vehicle wasn’t throttled horribly.

I do trust my dealership not to joy-ride it. They were very responsive to my concerns to not have it driven hard.

I’ll start with the dealership and go from there.
At the very least they should be honest with you on its history, dealerships bottom line is selling vehicles, but they also want a relationship with each customer for future maintenance. I would look up the rules in your state regarding the sale of a new vehicle, is what they did with this Jeep now considered a used vehicle under the state rules? and can you live in harmony with this vehicle knowing it was driven at a demonstration? I would take it back or negotiate some kind of recourse if you are going to keep it.
Sponsored

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
I’d like to thank everyone who posted.
Again, NorthStar and my sales rep, Chucky, have been nothing short of concerned and supportive. I do not think anyone test drove my vehicle at the dealership as all the other reps came out to hear what it sounded like when Chucky took it to a gas station 100 yards down the road to fill up. I recommend Chucky and NorthStar 100%.

The NorthStar Manager spoke with Jeep and Jeep stated it was “surface rust” from “additional testing prior to storage” and it would not affect the reliability or longevity of the vehicle.

I can’t say how the surface rust and sand came to be. Given that testing was in Michigan during January/February, road salt is a possibility. That combined with being stored dirtied with road salt for weeks is as likely and explanation as any.

Jeep/Stellantis/whoever my manager spoke with offered to extend my warranty to 5 years free of charge.

I also asked the manager for a free loaner vehicle when I have my undercarriage addressed on my dime. The manager was happy to grant me a loaner.

I just want to move on and begin to enjoy my 392. I don’t want to worry about this anymore. I want to get on with mods and getting it Offroad. Life is short, and can be brutally tragic from what I’ve seen in my line of work. There are bigger things to be worried about then surface rust on a vehicle that functions as expected from day 1 and has an extended warranty. Time to be grateful.

I’m going to install front and rear ARB diff plates to go on with the spacer lift/wheels/37s next Saturday and I’m going to do the spot rust correction myself with copper brushes and Rustoleum Rust Reformer. Won’t need that loaner after all.

Anyone with similar rust, I’d push for the extended warranty I received. Again, thank you everyone.
That sounds like it’s going to work out just fine for you. Now get that thing modded up and post more pictures so I can drool some more.

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
I have been following this thread, and I have a somewhat related question... Am I the only one that is shocked at how quickly the undercarriage parts on these are developing rust? Is that normal?
I bet this surface rust issue is more common than most people think. Part of the issue is with a jeep your more likely to be under it for mods and it is super easy to get a quick look underneath due to the ride height. My prior ride was a Cadillac CTS and I don't think I ever saw the underside of it the whole 13 years I owned it.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I’d like to thank everyone who posted.
Again, NorthStar and my sales rep, Chucky, have been nothing short of concerned and supportive. I do not think anyone test drove my vehicle at the dealership as all the other reps came out to hear what it sounded like when Chucky took it to a gas station 100 yards down the road to fill up. I recommend Chucky and NorthStar 100%.

The NorthStar Manager spoke with Jeep and Jeep stated it was “surface rust” from “additional testing prior to storage” and it would not affect the reliability or longevity of the vehicle.

I can’t say how the surface rust and sand came to be. Given that testing was in Michigan during January/February, road salt is a possibility. That combined with being stored dirtied with road salt for weeks is as likely and explanation as any.

Jeep/Stellantis/whoever my manager spoke with offered to extend my warranty to 5 years free of charge.

I also asked the manager for a free loaner vehicle when I have my undercarriage addressed on my dime. The manager was happy to grant me a loaner.

I just want to move on and begin to enjoy my 392. I don’t want to worry about this anymore. I want to get on with mods and getting it Offroad. Life is short, and can be brutally tragic from what I’ve seen in my line of work. There are bigger things to be worried about then surface rust on a vehicle that functions as expected from day 1 and has an extended warranty. Time to be grateful.

I’m going to install front and rear ARB diff plates to go on with the spacer lift/wheels/37s next Saturday and I’m going to do the spot rust correction myself with copper brushes and Rustoleum Rust Reformer. Won’t need that loaner after all.

Anyone with similar rust, I’d push for the extended warranty I received. Again, thank you everyone.
POR 15 is the best stuff to use; a bit of a pain to use; but you will not be doing it a second time. It's pretty normal to get rust all over the underside after off-road use; and it sounds like you plan to use it off-road so its not going to stay a creampuff.

I just go under and clean it up and paint the area with POR-15 and never need to retouch that area yet.

Also thanks for looking after us during this pandemic. You men and women in the hospitals are true heroes and not thanked enough. THANK YOU.

Sponsored

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
Looked like someone had a field day with your vehicle prior to delivery.

If my (new) vehicle looked like that upon pick up, I'd tell them to pound sand. All puns aside.
Somebody had it at the beach and probly got Salt water and sand. I wouldn't take it. Probly had to rap that 392 up a little. No way.. Sorry I am a major fanatic about service and customer treatment.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
New platforms get a lot of testing. Plenty of EcoDiesels arrives with similar miles on the odometer.

huyfishin

First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.huyfishin.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Automotive Paint Protection Film Installer and Glass tinter
I have been following this thread, and I have a somewhat related question... Am I the only one that is shocked at how quickly the undercarriage parts on these are developing rust? Is that normal?
Yes its quite normal for surface rust to form quite quickly. It can happen in just 30 minutes on any vehicle. But its just surface rust. It wont effect the longevity or create and additional wear and tear.

my City put sand mix with liquid calcium chloride as a pilot program for 2 full years on our city roads during the winter. If our vehicles survive this then your jeep will probably be fine with a little surface rust. (this calcium chloride will destroy a vehicle with long extended use though)

Sponsored

Reactor111

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Try a spray called Boshield. It can be found usually at boat supply stores. It was developed by Boeing to prevent rust. Not cheap, about 15 to 20$ per can. Just stay and it prevents rust. Not a greasy mess like a fluid film. Works great on chassis parts. Just a thought.

LOANDBEHOLD.

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
I was incorrect in stating delivery miles were 46. They were 26.

The dealership noted the gouge in the freedom panel and had already ordered the replacement. Failed to lay down and check undercarriage. Wasn’t noticeable until I got under it to install Mopar performance rock rails.

I’m still with 24 hours of purchase. No way I caused rust in 24 hours. Biggest concern is the rust and ensuring my vehicle wasn’t throttled horribly.

I do trust my dealership not to joy-ride it. They were very responsive to my concerns to not have it driven hard.

I’ll start with the dealership and go from there.
Would be interested to know how it goes.

Membrain

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR / '21 XR392
Occupation
Engineer
Somebody had it at the beach and probly got Salt water and sand. I wouldn't take it. Probly had to rap that 392 up a little. No way.. Sorry I am a major fanatic about service and customer treatment.
No "probly" about it...

fcordano

First Name
flavio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 rubicon unlimited
not acceptable i would demand fixes or new vehicle (of which there are probably none) so have them pay for all repairs obviously. As a fellow surgeon (Im assuming from the scrubs) our patients expect quality and not destroyed hardware in their bodies we should not expect it from 80K vehicles as well.

Membrain

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR / '21 XR392
Occupation
Engineer
Are we not all aware of the "factory recommended break-in period" for the 6.4L Hemi?
I'm sure it is published in the Owner's Manual, but since I don't have mine yet, I've provided what might be the appropriate snippets from my son's 2020 Dodge Charger Widebody... I'm sure there are going to be some similarities:

ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS
The following tips will be helpful in obtaining optimum performance and maximum durability for your new SRT vehicle.
Despite modern technology and World Class manufacturing methods, the moving parts of the vehicle must still wear in with each other. This wearing in occurs mainly during the first 500 miles (805 km) and continues through the first oil change interval.
It is recommended for the operator to observe the following driving behaviors during the new vehicle break-in period:
0 to 100 miles (0 to 161 km):
• Do not allow the engine to operate at idle for an extended period of time.
• Depress the accelerator pedal slowly and not more than halfway to avoid rapid acceleration.
• Avoid aggressive braking.
• Drive with the engine speed less than 3,500 RPM.
• Maintain vehicle speed below 55 mph (88 km/h) and observe local speed limits.
100 to 300 miles (161 to 483 km):
• Depress the accelerator pedal slowly and not more than halfway to avoid rapid acceleration in lower gears (1st to 3rd gears).
• Avoid aggressive braking.
• Drive with the engine speed less than 5,000 RPM.
• Maintain vehicle speed below 70 mph (112 km/h) and observe local speed limits.
300 to 500 miles (483 to 805 km):
• Exercise the full engine rpm range, shifting manually at higher rpms when possible.
• Do not perform sustained operation with the accelerator pedal at wide open throttle.
• Maintain vehicle speed below 85 mph (136 km/h) and observe local speed limits.
For the first 1500 miles (2414 km):
• Do not participate in track events, sport driving schools, or similar activities during the first 1500 miles (2414 km).

How do we know procedures(?) were followed on such a vehicle that arrives at the dealership with 20+ miles on it?
Sponsored