Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
That's a great attitude. If I were in your shoes, I would be pushing for the same... undercarriage cleaned and treated, and maybe even lobby for a complementary extended warranty, but who knows if that would be successful.
Agree. Shoot the moon, but settle for complimentary TruCoat, extended warranty, and GPS history. Paying that destination charge sure added insult to injury.

Shame to see a company treat one of their brand new halo cars this way, but sounds like you have a good dealer. Keep us posted.
Sponsored

0II392II0

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURH
That is just super shitty. Mine is punching in at 79,045 can't imagine yours is much off from that without searching for your exact build. I would have had an issue with that if I'd gone to the dealer up N, which offered any build -392 for three under invoice. At the premium of these, even if build and parts warrant the price, that is just down right unacceptable. Either the metals weren't treated correctly, or it was driven where a corrosive compounds came into contact before delivery. Either way your brand new Jeep should be deliver in brand new condition. Never would have thought to look in undercarriage for an Easter egg.

OP
OP
BCMgunner

BCMgunner

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 on 37” KO2s
@0II392II0, you’re right. Who has ever gotten on their back and crawled under the underside of a brand-new delivered car at purchase?
If I hadn’t switched out the rock rails within 30 minutes of getting it home, I never would have noticed all the rust and sand. The fact that it had roof panel damage that was noted on acceptance by dealer also adds to the suspicion.

@JeepCares has been messaged and is currently looking into my 392’s issues. Will update forum on progress.

Will contact dealer today as well to ask about what options they can provide and if GPS can be investigated.

DarkAardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ, 2021 JLR
Who has ever gotten on their back and crawled under the underside of a brand-new delivered car at purchase?
I did! I spent a good while going through the entire thing with a fine tooth comb right on the dealer lot. The only issues I found were two small rust spots on the chassis welds. I'm talking like a quarter the size of my pinky nail. A tiny wire brush and rust-oleum rust reformer fixed that up. And I coated every nook and cranny with fluid film

Yeah it looks like somebody fucked around with that thing

Sponsored

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

The dealership sounds like they are trying to do the right thing. I wonder if they already ran the GPS history and know something is wrong. It could have also been run somewhere with salt on the road.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
Here is a compilation of what probably went down:

Delivery driver A: Yo bruski, check out what I’m delivering today, a 392 baby!
Delivery driver B: Oh shit that’s rad! Lets go stretch her legs before we drop it off dough!
Delivery driver A: Damn right! We go rip some donuts in them sand pits.

Few hours later...

Delivery driver A: Oh crapola I’m stuck, pull me outta here!
Delivery driver B: Oh alright! Shit.. I f'ed up the paint.
Delivery driver A: That’ll buff right out, we just pretend nothing happened.
Delivery driver B: Oh yea good idea.
You're just like the news media...if you don't know what happened, just make shit up! Speculation of what happened doesn't make any difference, how it's resolved to protect the OP does.

huyfishin

First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.huyfishin.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Automotive Paint Protection Film Installer and Glass tinter
looks like a short short joy ride from the dealer.

To be honest something like that surface rust can happen after 30miles depending on road conditions. I put alot of brand new vehicles on the hoist with low mileage for paint protection services on rocker panels ect. The rust you see is only surface rust kinda like if you wash your vehicle and you let it sit for 30 minutes the brakes look rusty until u brake for the first time.

but who knows! I could be completely wrong. just my theory.

Last edited:

JandS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe | Exige S | R wagon | V Wagon | MB S65
The dealership is not a stealership, Northstar Jeep in San Antonio. They’ve been nothing but supportive and honest. Purchased at MSRP. They actually sent the sales rep who sold it to me to see it first hand and photo. Sales rep thinks it’s “desert sand” and thinks it’s pretty clear it was taken into the sand hard. We actually found sand deep in some of the hollow support beams.

This is Jeeps problem. Dealership manager knows about it and is working on it. Let’s see what they say.

Sent a message to @JeepCares

Will keep forum posted as to what I learn
Just wanted to give you props for not jumping to conclusions and giving the dealer a chance to make it right.

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I do see Jeeps come in with roof damage every once in a while. It sucks, but the dealer should have caught it when the transport dropped it off, and cited transportation damage. Maybe they did, and didn't tell you and that's why they are fixing it. As far as the using it. I don't think so. Every Jeep at EJS has to be sold as a company vehicle, if it has a VIN. Jeep has to put it into "service" as they call it, and sell it at the auction. Sometimes they take them back to engineering to tear apart, and inspect to see if any unknown issues come about for a future recall/campaign. The miles seem to me as the dealership drove it. It should've show up with 1-3 miles, and have about 10-12 after the PDI. I guarantee a couple of salesman, managers, or service guys drove it down the road to feel the power before you got the call then they said the miles are normal after a PDI. Not putting down the dealership, but after 22 years of selling cars I can almost promise this is what happened.

Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Here is a compilation of what probably went down:

Delivery driver A: Yo bruski, check out what I’m delivering today, a 392 baby!
Delivery driver B: Oh shit that’s rad! Lets go stretch her legs before we drop it off dough!
Delivery driver A: Damn right! We go rip some donuts in them sand pits.

Few hours later...

Delivery driver A: Oh crapola I’m stuck, pull me outta here!
Delivery driver B: Oh alright! Shit.. I f'ed up the paint.
Delivery driver A: That’ll buff right out, we just pretend nothing happened.
Delivery driver B: Oh yea good idea.
Jeep Wrangler JL What are the chances my new 392 was a EJS Press vehicle tenor (6)

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
Jeep Wrangler JL What are the chances my new 392 was a EJS Press vehicle tenor (6)

Photos for others to have to show your dealers if needed. Most of the rust is on the front axle, especially around front differential.
Any chance I can ask for another front axle assembly under warranty sighting coating/rust, possible differential structural damage?
Does the lemon law have any place if I take it 3 times for rust on differential considering it came from the factory like this?

Also of note, wheel BS is 6+” from a rough measure with a measuring tape.
Based on these pics, and the high mileage at delivery I’d say it’s 100% certain that SOMEONE ripped that baby through some WET sand. Could be a beach, by a river, or maybe a sand pit that was wet...

But wet sand was involved, dry sand doesn’t stick like mud and cause splash marks everywhere - or rust.

No way all these components got splash marks like that from transportation of any kind unless it was a damn hurricane and the driver was right next to the beach. Which seems extremely unlikely.

Hate to say it but all the other posters are right. Your 392 was joy ridden on some wet sand - 100%

and since this was obviously an unauthorized joy ride I guarantee they squeezed every single pony out of that brand new motor. Probably for about 20 miles

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Northstar has been around for like 50 years. It's a small dealer and has always been in the same location. That says something for them.

There is no sand like that in the San Antonio area to get into. I would say that is was probably driven on the factory test roads, which in March probably had been salted and sanded due to snow or ice. The chip in the roof probably happened on the transport truck from the rail yard to the dealer.

I'm pretty sure that the Jeeps used for press events had hundreds of miles put on them.

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
Please follow up with the GPS History, which your dealer can access, please !
I’d be all over this like white on rice, and when it was discovered that it was joy ridden with concrete proof I’d be getting a brand new 392 Jeep order put in on the dealer!

jeepken

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392
I'm pretty sure that the Jeeps used for press events had hundreds of miles put on them.
I just watched one of those press vids from EJS and he had 1125 miles on the odometer. Had to be a fun amped-up 15-20 mile break-in (ahem *joyride) on yours for someone. I hope the dealer quickly works it out with you.
Sponsored