Sponsored

What are some of the "softer" riding shocks out there?

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
We have the MC 3.5 GameChanger (Rocksports) lift and love it so far. Although it's great, the shocks feel a little firm to me. What are some of the more "softer" riding shocks that people are liking/using?
Sponsored

Tony2772

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Granite
I just installed the MC 3.5" GC as well and currently running the Mopar Fox lift shocks with shock extensions until I can find a good shock to match with the MC lift. I welcome all responses.

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I've run several different lifts/shocks over the years, and have had NOTHING ride better then the new-ish @Rock Krawler Suspension 2.25 RRD Race series shocks. They take the road like a champ, offering an amazingly balanced on/off road experience. I sincerely couldn't recommend them more highly.

Good luck with your decision!

OP
OP
jlewissystem

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
We have the MC 3.5 GameChanger (Rocksports) lift and love it so far. Although it's great, the shocks feel a little firm to me. What are some of the more "softer" riding shocks that people are liking/using?
I’m a plus one with @Sting_NC_USA , the RRDs are pretty sweet. They’re a rebuildable shock, so you can change valving to best suit you. Also your Rocksports are one of the longest travel shocks, so if you want to keep the same amount of travel, the RRDs extend 29.3 inches. So you would only be giving up about 3/4” ish......
That said, I’m getting the fox 2.5 resi shocks, and I ordered the ones for 4.5” lift so I’ll get the same extended length. I’ll dial it in with bumpstops.

The RRDs are working great, I just want some more quick adjustability, as we sometimes run some washboard, pot hole, long straight fire roads at speed. Also some off camber stuff. Northridge was having 10% off sale, combined with 5% coupon code, combined with a gift card I received. I got about 800.00 off. But I don’t know when I’ll get them, lol... out of stock, just said will ship within 30 days, and with the virus stuff, who knows........:facepalm:.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I’m a plus one with @Sting_NC_USA , the RRDs are pretty sweet. They’re a rebuildable shock, so you can change valving to best suit you. Also your Rocksports are one of the longest travel shocks, so if you want to keep the same amount of travel, the RRDs extend 29.3 inches. So you would only be giving up about 3/4” ish......
That said, I’m getting the fox 2.5 resi shocks, and I ordered the ones for 4.5” lift so I’ll get the same extended length. I’ll dial it in with bumpstops.

The RRDs are working great, I just want some more quick adjustability, as we sometimes run some washboard, pot hole, long straight fire roads at speed. Also some off camber stuff. Northridge was having 10% off sale, combined with 5% coupon code, combined with a gift card I received. I got about 800.00 off. But I don’t know when I’ll get them, lol... out of stock, just said will ship within 30 days, and with the virus stuff, who knows........:facepalm:.
See below for excerpt from a post by @YR2SLW with RRD 2.25 shocks:

"have 3 leaking shocks with maybe 4800-5500 miles on the kit in about 13 months. We do not wheel hard (nothing rated over a 4.0) or that often (6300 miles on the Jeep bought in Dec 2018)... but I have pushed it on a couple fire roads that were less than smooth. I spoke with Adam at RK, and I might be low on nitrogen and likely got something in the outermost wiper seal (which I cleaned and am monitoring). I am pulling my shocks today/tomorrow to get the nitrogen level checked/charged. Was told they need to be around 75psi and that with the RRD shocks this needs to be done every 6-10 months depending on how often or hard you wheel."

IMHO, needing to check/recharge shocks every 6-10 months would get annoying.

I hear your adjustable fox shocks are awesome...interested to hear your feedback.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Have you added any armor and a winch? I've read that Metalcloak 3.5 springs have a little higher spring rate to account for added armor. The Rocksports are supposedly a softer valved shock...I imagine the ride is more a result of their springs paired with a lighter weight JLU and changing shocks won't do alot. I'd call Metalcloak and discuss.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
See below for excerpt from a post by @YR2SLW with RRD 2.25 shocks:

"have 3 leaking shocks with maybe 4800-5500 miles on the kit in about 13 months. We do not wheel hard (nothing rated over a 4.0) or that often (6300 miles on the Jeep bought in Dec 2018)... but I have pushed it on a couple fire roads that were less than smooth. I spoke with Adam at RK, and I might be low on nitrogen and likely got something in the outermost wiper seal (which I cleaned and am monitoring). I am pulling my shocks today/tomorrow to get the nitrogen level checked/charged. Was told they need to be around 75psi and that with the RRD shocks this needs to be done every 6-10 months depending on how often or hard you wheel."

IMHO, needing to check/recharge shocks every 6-10 months would get annoying.

I hear your adjustable fox shocks are awesome...interested to hear your feedback.
Copy that.... I’ve read that post, hasn’t been my experience however so far, and you know I’m not easy on it........:). Also the maintenance doesn’t bother me like it does others. I’ve been in and out of jeeps a long time, and to me it’s part of the fun of owning one....:rock:

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
Its all springs

i swapped out my 2.5” aev springs for the mopar lift springs.

first off. The rear springs are slightly taller in the mopars. The the actual weight of the rear spring is significantly lighter than the aev.

front springs are the same length, a touch more on the mopar but negligible.

Even with the stiffer digressive bilstein the ride has changed significantly with the mopar springs.

i lost maybe 1/2” of lift which is fine by me.
And i lost carry capacity which is also fine as i carried around 180lbs in the back to make the aev kit ride nice.
Sponsored