Sponsored

What are People Replacing Their Aux and Main with?

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
I do a lot of traveling throughout CA and can say there are a lot of mountain ranges throughout the state that are as cold or colder than anywhere in the country.

Rock Creek road, Donner Pass, White Mountain Peak, Bodie, etc, etc. get well below zero in the winter months.

The point is I'm making a solid suggestion for a reliable replacement battery. We can argue the disadvantages of the EarthX just as the disadvantages of a AGM or any other lead acid replacement. All batteries haver their pluses and minuses.

I figure using my EarthX's for almost 10 years on my Beta and 3 years on my Super Tenere with no ill effects qualifies it as an outstanding replacement choice.
Agree, but none of those places are So. Cal. And considering that's where we both live (presumably) and where our Jeeps spend most of their time, I stand by my statement.

And I'm not saying for anyone not to try your suggestion. I've considered going with lithium as well, but the cost vs. benefit math just doesn't work for me. Maybe for others it will.

Just because you have a battery that's worked well for 10 years in a motorcycle does not even begin to suggest that it will fare as well in a Jeep. Two entirely different beasts with very different electrical needs.

And FWIW, Bodie is the coldest place in California. Damn miserable in the dead of winter.
Sponsored

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
the cost vs. benefit math just doesn't work for me.
No sweat Jay, I will respectfully agree to disagree. I could go into my electrical background but that will open up a can of worms. Thanks for your input.

The math worked for me on the smaller batteries. Not so much for the larger batteries such as Battle Born. It was out of my price range. So I ended up using dual group 34/78 AMG batteries in my rig.

I did the math and have a solid 30-40 usable AH between the 2 batteries and my 100 watt solar panel and charge controller. I'm good to go with my cooler, air compressor, led lighting, charge station and also the ability to charge my 300 watt Jackery solar generator.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
The BMS system in the EarthX works really good in freezing temps. I have ridden and started my bikes in below freezing temps on more than a few occasions.

It is just a matter of turning on a few accessories to warm up the battery. This technology has come a long way in regards to freezing temps. The BMS takes care of preventing damage to the battery cold temps.

BTW where is Cali? I have not heard of that state before? Is it on the East coast or a different country? I live in California myself. In the desert and mountains it's gets below zero quite frequently in the winter time.
A BMS can only disconnect the battery when out of temp range to protect it. So if the battery is -15C the BMS should be open and you can not start the vehicle. If the BMS allows you to start at this temp it is drastically reducing the battery life.

LiPo4 is great where another power source is present to ensure it's inside it's safe environment - unfortunately a vehicle is not such an environment.

Rubicon_Wrangler_JL_2018

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rwaltonphotography.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Business Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Hey all, I recently got a service start stop message on my dash and found out my aux had gone bad after I isolated and tested it. I think im going to replace both because I’ve heard people saying once one goes bad the other one will soon follow because they are in series. So, I’ve been throwing around ideas of just replacing with oem, interstate or am Orellys brand. I’m planning on adding lights and a winch soon so I’d like something dependable without spending everything
I'm running the dual battery kit from Genesis Offroad.
Jeep Wrangler JL What are People Replacing Their Aux and Main with? IMG_1434
Sponsored