Sponsored

What are People Replacing Their Aux and Main with?

Logan-Kn

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Rubicon
Hey all, I recently got a service start stop message on my dash and found out my aux had gone bad after I isolated and tested it. I think im going to replace both because I’ve heard people saying once one goes bad the other one will soon follow because they are in series. So, I’ve been throwing around ideas of just replacing with oem, interstate or am Orellys brand. I’m planning on adding lights and a winch soon so I’d like something dependable without spending everything
Sponsored

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
We're disconnecting our AUX and running with a single battery like a vehicle should. Or 2 identical batteries, like a vehicle should. We are not running with 2 mismatched batteries being charged identically and connected in parallel when the vehicle is off, like a vehicle shouldn't.

Barely Krawlified

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I’m in this same boat (received 2 aux switches unavailable warnings yesterday — I have a 2019 JLUR with a build date of 7/19 (July)) and although I love wrenching on the Jeep I’m kinda dreading replacing both batteries.

I’m planning on going the fender removal route and bought a bunch of those white fender clips for the job.

As for the batteries, I think I’m going with an Odyssey Group 48 for the main and whatever AUX14 battery they have at my local Autozone.

Sponsored

Thdoors

First Name
Dabber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L 2021 JLU Sport 2LT 2015 Sport 3.6L
Occupation
Retired homicide detective
I’d love to, but I’ve got an extended warranty and I’m afraid I’d mess with it
Just had both of mine replaced last month. I also am wondering if the Genesis would negate the warranty.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I have ESS disabled with the Tazer...but when the time comes I'll be doing the N1 N2 jumper and removing the aux battery for weight savings.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
What are People Replacing Their Aux and Main with?

When the time comes, Diehard and Northstar, respectively.

Last edited:

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Oops. I was going by memory. The aux will be:

Replacement Aux. Battery DieHard Platinum AGM Battery, BCI Group Size 400, 200 CCA Part # AUX14-1

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Hey all, I recently got a service start stop message on my dash and found out my aux had gone bad after I isolated and tested it. I think im going to replace both because I’ve heard people saying once one goes bad the other one will soon follow because they are in series. So, I’ve been throwing around ideas of just replacing with oem, interstate or am Orellys brand. I’m planning on adding lights and a winch soon so I’d like something dependable without spending everything
I went with an Odyssey 94R which is a bit longer but fits perfectly. It's $15 more than the factory size so well worth it.

https://www.odysseybattery.com/products/odp-agm94r-h7-l4-battery-94r-850/

Sponsored

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
Here is what I have on my Super Tenere:

https://earthxbatteries.com/shop/etx36c

I know it's a power sport battery but it exceeds all the specs of a Aux 14 except just slightly lower AH rating. It will come with foam pieces to get it to fit perfect in the battery tray. The terminals are mounted in the middle so it can fit in either direction.

FWIW I have been using this brand since 2012. I still have the original EarthX in my Beta going on 10 years now!!

They are super duper durable, reliable and interface well with multiple charging systems. My Beta came stock with a "KTM style" split AC/DC charging system. For reliability reasons I changed out the stator, added a rectifier and converted it to DC only. This battery did not care in the least!!

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Here is what I have on my Super Tenere:

https://earthxbatteries.com/shop/etx36c

I know it's a power sport battery but it exceeds all the specs of a Aux 14 except just slightly lower AH rating. It will come with foam pieces to get it to fit perfect in the battery tray. The terminals are mounted in the middle so it can fit in either direction.

FWIW I have been using this brand since 2012. I still have the original EarthX in my Beta going on 10 years now!!

They are super duper durable, reliable and interface well with multiple charging systems. My Beta came stock with a "KTM style" split AC/DC charging system. For reliability reasons I changed out the stator, added a rectifier and converted it to DC only. This battery did not care in the least!!
The issue with LiPo4 for this application is the temperature they work at.

LiPo4 doesn't like to be charged at below about 5C or it harms the battery
LiPo4 doesn't like to be discharged below -10C or it harms the battery
LiPo4 should not be charged or discharged above 55C or it harms the battery

In Cali you probably only need to worry about the last point; but all 3 are an issue in a daily driver in the frost belt.

But LiPo4 has excellent power density for it's weight so would be really a great option if it wasn't for these temperature issues.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The issue with LiPo4 for this application is the temperature they work at.

LiPo4 doesn't like to be charged at below about 5C or it harms the battery
LiPo4 doesn't like to be discharged below -10C or it harms the battery
LiPo4 should not be charged or discharged above 55C or it harms the battery

In Cali you probably only need to worry about the last point; but all 3 are an issue in a daily driver in the frost belt.

But LiPo4 has excellent power density for it's weight so would be really a great option if it wasn't for these temperature issues.
The BMS system in the EarthX works really good in freezing temps. I have ridden and started my bikes in below freezing temps on more than a few occasions.

It is just a matter of turning on a few accessories to warm up the battery. This technology has come a long way in regards to freezing temps. The BMS takes care of preventing damage to the battery cold temps.

BTW where is Cali? I have not heard of that state before? Is it on the East coast or a different country? I live in California myself. In the desert and mountains it's gets below zero quite frequently in the winter time.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
BTW where is Cali? I have not heard of that state before? Is it on the East coast or a different country? I live in California myself. In the desert and mountains it's gets below zero quite frequently in the winter time.
I live in So Cal as well. Over 50 years. And I can say with the utmost confidence that it rarely gets below 0 (if ever). If you meant to say below freezing (32 degrees), then I agree, it can get pretty cold here during winter in the mountains and deserts.

Cold for CA anyway, nothing even close to probably 70% of the rest of the country that have actual winter.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I live in So Cal as well. Over 50 years. And I can say with the utmost confidence that it rarely gets below 0 (if ever). If you meant to say below freezing (32 degrees), then I agree, it can get pretty cold here during winter in the mountains and deserts.

Cold for CA anyway, nothing even close to probably 70% of the rest of the country that have actual winter.
I do a lot of traveling throughout CA and can say there are a lot of mountain ranges throughout the state that are as cold or colder than anywhere in the country.

Rock Creek road, Donner Pass, White Mountain Peak, Bodie, etc, etc. get well below zero in the winter months.

The point is I'm making a solid suggestion for a reliable replacement battery. We can argue the disadvantages of the EarthX just as the disadvantages of a AGM or any other lead acid replacement. All batteries haver their pluses and minuses.

I figure using my EarthX's for almost 10 years on my Beta and 3 years on my Super Tenere with no ill effects qualifies it as an outstanding replacement choice.
Sponsored