Sponsored

What are my options for locker / LS front Dana 30?

OP
OP

Boothorp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
I just discovered Torq-Masters offers a TORQ Locker for the M186 (JL Dana 30) Part #TL-13327, $400.
Thank you for the suggestion. I read all about the TORQ locker for the JK. I use 4wd pretty much only while off-roading. I'm going to give this a try.

I can install it myself. Save a bunch of money. Down the road I probably will upgrade axles once the prices drop a little.
Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Thank you for the suggestion. I read all about the TORQ locker for the JK. I use 4wd pretty much only while off-roading. I'm going to give this a try.

I can install it myself. Save a bunch of money. Down the road I probably will upgrade axles once the prices drop a little.
I read about the torq locker and saw where the mfg informs in the product description that they do make a clicking sound while in 2wd during tight turns on pavement. I assume that is referring to the rear and not front?

OP
OP

Boothorp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
I read about the torq locker and saw where the mfg informs in the product description that they do make a clicking sound while in 2wd during tight turns on pavement. I assume that is referring to the rear and not front?
Not 100% sure. I’m installing this in the front. I have the Dana 44 with LSD in the back.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I am interested in a JL Dana 30 TrueTrac as well. I don't think Eaton is making them at this time. I hope someone tells me I have this wrong!
Where did you hear Eaton isnt making e lockers for jl? I'm trying to research this..

Sponsored

OP
OP

Boothorp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Cool...when are you installing? Let us know how you like it.
Just got it in the mail today. I’m not sure exactly. I’m hoping within the next two weeks. I’ve never opened a dif before, so my buddy and I are going to tackle this when we can.

Where did you hear Eaton isnt making e lockers for jl? I'm trying to research this..
I emailed them and they responded “nothing for the JL right now”. They never said they weren’t making it. They just said there was nothing available right now for that model.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Just got it in the mail today. I’m not sure exactly. I’m hoping within the next two weeks. I’ve never opened a dif before, so my buddy and I are going to tackle this when we can.

I emailed them and they responded “nothing for the JL right now”. They never said they weren’t making it. They just said there was nothing available right now for that model.
I gotcha...I'm gonna call Eaton tomorrow. Considering the jl has been setting sales records, surely they'll be coming out with lockers for the jl.

OP
OP

Boothorp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
I gotcha...I'm gonna call Eaton tomorrow. Considering the jl has been setting sales records, surely they'll be coming out with lockers for the jl.
My question to them was regarding the TrueTrac. Not lockers.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
My question to them was regarding the TrueTrac. Not lockers.
Oh ok...I researched the True Trac and watched several YouTube videos showing it offroad with JK's. Looks like a low maintenance more economical mod for daily drivers who want a unique version of limited slip/almost locker. It doesnt look as effective as a locker and requires feathering the brakes while giving it gas at times to slow a spinning wheel and apply more power to wheel with traction. Feathering the brake while giving some gas with a 6 speed sounds not ideal offroad and could result in stalling. Thoughts?

rwperez

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport, 2015 Sahara Unlimited
The Torq
The TORQ Locker (TL-13327 for M186 Axle) goes on the front. With the JLs, you can get the Dana 44 (M220) axle only with a Trac-Lok LSD (non-Rubicon). The Trac-Lok carrier will not work with a drop-in locker. For the cost of replacing the carrier and adding a drop-in locker, you can just about buy a Detroit E-locker, so it doesn't make much sense for TORQ Masters to make a drop-in locker for the JL Dana 44. Auto lockers that come with carriers (Detroit Locker/Yukon Grizzly) worry me with regard to the electronic stability control features. If ESC brakes one of my rear wheels under speed to correct for an over/under-steer situation, I don't know if both rear wheels would brake, making the situation worse. I decided to stick with the Trac-Lok unless I discover it doesn't meet my needs. If that happens, I will put in an E-Locker.

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
The Torq

The TORQ Locker (TL-13327 for M186 Axle) goes on the front. With the JLs, you can get the Dana 44 (M220) axle only with a Trac-Lok LSD (non-Rubicon). The Trac-Lok carrier will not work with a drop-in locker. For the cost of replacing the carrier and adding a drop-in locker, you can just about buy a Detroit E-locker, so it doesn't make much sense for TORQ Masters to make a drop-in locker for the JL Dana 44. Auto lockers that come with carriers (Detroit Locker/Yukon Grizzly) worry me with regard to the electronic stability control features. If ESC brakes one of my rear wheels under speed to correct for an over/under-steer situation, I don't know if both rear wheels would brake, making the situation worse. I decided to stick with the Trac-Lok unless I discover it doesn't meet my needs. If that happens, I will put in an E-Locker.
Thanks for feedback. Do you know about options for improving traction for daily drivers/wknd warriors with the jlus with open d30 m186 front axles and open d35 m200 axles? All I see is a lunchbox locker(dont want) that clicks and the ARB air lockers at $930 per axle + onboard air + labor. I called Eaton today and talked with a tech guy for 15 min. They have no current plans to make products for the wrangler jl and said it would prob be a few years. If you're going to spend $3k, I would really like an e locker.

rwperez

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport, 2015 Sahara Unlimited
Thanks for feedback. Do you know about options for improving traction for daily drivers/wknd warriors with the jlus with open d30 m186 front axles and open d35 m200 axles? All I see is a lunchbox locker(dont want) that clicks and the ARB air lockers at $930 per axle + onboard air + labor. I called Eaton today and talked with a tech guy for 15 min. They have no current plans to make products for the wrangler jl and said it would prob be a few years. If you're going to spend $3k, I would really like an e locker.
The only after-market locker I have been able to find for the JLs is the Dana 30 TORQ Locker previously discussed. I guess we will have to wait...

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
It the clicking is front the front when used in the front because of the front wheels turning at different speeds and it ratcheting. The rear will make sounds as well if equipped but not as noticeable in the front

For the JL application, there shouldn’t be any noise due to the FAD separating the 2 wheels in 2wd. You will notice a slight mpg loss due to the fact that the front driveshaft and t case are now spinning all the time unlike in stock form
I run a torq locker in my dana 30 on my JK with 35’s, awesome locker and is very quiet.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
It the clicking is front the front when used in the front because of the front wheels turning at different speeds and it ratcheting. The rear will make sounds as well if equipped but not as noticeable in the front

For the JL application, there shouldn’t be any noise due to the FAD separating the 2 wheels in 2wd. You will notice a slight mpg loss due to the fact that the front driveshaft and t case are now spinning all the time unlike in stock form
I run a torq locker in my dana 30 on my JK with 35’s, awesome locker and is very quiet.
According to the person at Torq-Master who did the daily driver testing, their new Torq Locker for the front axle of the JL does make a ratcheting sound on pavement when making sharp turns. She said they were hoping it wouldn't make any noise in 2wd, but it did make minor noises and they are coming out with a youtube video to show.

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
According to the person at Torq-Master who did the daily driver testing, their new Torq Locker for the front axle of the JL does make a ratcheting sound on pavement when making sharp turns. She said they were hoping it wouldn't make any noise in 2wd, but it did make minor noises and they are coming out with a youtube video to show.
Interesting, the force to turn the ring and pinion, driveshaft and t case couple must be greater than the springs in the locker causing it to click some

The torq locker is one of the quieter lockers tho, mine in my JK only likes to make an ratchet noise after a good day of wheeling. But after that I sometimes forget it’s in there even at slow tight turns
The only down side I find to the lunchbox is the turning radius is a lot bigger when in 4 wheel. My 2 door when in 4 wheel has about the same as a 4 door
Sponsored