Sponsored

What are my options for locker / LS front Dana 30?

Boothorp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
I have a Sahara and would like to know what my options are at this point? I would like an e-locker or a Detroit truetrac but I don't see a lot available. I know ARB has lockers out but I don't want on board air.
Sponsored

rwperez

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport, 2015 Sahara Unlimited
I have a Sahara and would like to know what my options are at this point? I would like an e-locker or a Detroit truetrac but I don't see a lot available. I know ARB has lockers out but I don't want on board air.
I am interested in a JL Dana 30 TrueTrac as well. I don't think Eaton is making them at this time. I hope someone tells me I have this wrong!

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I am interested in a JL Dana 30 TrueTrac as well. I don't think Eaton is making them at this time. I hope someone tells me I have this wrong!
I'm also waiting for Spartan to launch lockers for the JL.

rwperez

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just discovered Torq-Masters offers a TORQ Locker for the M186 (JL Dana 30) Part #TL-13327, $400.

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
I'm also waiting for Spartan to launch lockers for the JL.
Lunch box lockers work fine for a litke but, but they are extremely tempermental the second something falls slightly out of spec. Worn washers and broken pins happen. I would much rather spend the money and have a full carrier style locker. The cost to have someone set the gears up afterwards is worth it.

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Lunch box lockers work fine for a litke but, but they are extremely tempermental the second something falls slightly out of spec. Worn washers and broken pins happen. I would much rather spend the money and have a full carrier style locker. The cost to have someone set the gears up afterwards is worth it.
Thanks...how much for full carrier style?

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
Thanks...how much for full carrier style?
Not sure whats out there yet. It would be any of the electronic lockers, detroit, arb, etc...

Ive had detroits front and rear and it was a soild setup. Ive also had arb lockers front and rear and now the rubicon lockers. I can tell you that for a daily driver, selectable in the rear is a must have. For the front, selectable is really nice on the trail when i need to manuever in a tight space. I wont have anything without selectable lockers now.

rwperez

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have been using them for many years on my TJ without experiencing what you have described. Maybe I will be lucky a second time!

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
has
I have been using them for many years on my TJ without experiencing what you have described. Maybe I will be lucky a second time!
Guess it just depends on tire size, weight, and the kind of wheeling people do.

Something i forgot to ask.. do you use this vehicle for any sort of highway 4wd use? If so, selectable is the way to go. I would had to be driving around town in the snow with a locked front end. It will understeer like crazy.

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
Thanks, but I am really just interested in this thread to keep up with what new differentials are becoming available for the JL. I have been daily driving a TJ in and out of Atlanta (90 miles per day) with Aussie lockers front and rear in all kinds of traffic and weather for seven years. I find the experience joyful! The way to go is a matter of personal preference, not anything based on fact. Opinions are as varied as their are locker options.
Only half of that post was directed towards you. You didnt ask the question about locker options and the question about how it was used was directed at the OP.

Dont close doors to peoples opinions when you werent the one that asked for them.

Sponsored

rwperez

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Only half of that post was directed towards you. You didnt ask the question about locker options and the question about how it was used was directed at the OP.

Dont close doors to peoples opinions when you werent the one that asked for them.
My bad, I was looking at this through an iPhone and didn't see the other post you refer to. I deleted my previous post with the reason: "Put my foot in my mouth!" Sorry.

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
This is correct, LB lockers can be a fiasco.

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
Buy a rubicon instead?

Well the ring and pinions are larger on the Sahara so idk if there is anything out yet. detroit e locker is yr best bet , torsion in the front is sketchy. Ask yrself if you’re doing things this technical that you need a front locker??? Have you thought this all out? If youre running larger tires you mind as well re gear while you are swapping carriers which means opening the rear too... and while youre at it dana 30 locked with 35’s or 37’s? Thats a snap waiting to happen.

OP
OP

Boothorp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Buy a rubicon instead?

Well the ring and pinions are larger on the Sahara so idk if there is anything out yet. detroit e locker is yr best bet , torsion in the front is sketchy. Ask yrself if you’re doing things this technical that you need a front locker??? Have you thought this all out? If youre running larger tires you mind as well re gear while you are swapping carriers which means opening the rear too... and while youre at it dana 30 locked with 35’s or 37’s? Thats a snap waiting to happen.
I’m not sure that’s true. The 30s in this are apparently “a lot stronger” than previous Dana 30s. I have a buddy with an XJ, 35s, LB lockers and makes rubicons with 35s or 37s look bad. He hasn’t snapped anything on his 99 XJ with a Dana 30.

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
I’m not sure that’s true. The 30s in this are apparently “a lot stronger” than previous Dana 30s. I have a buddy with an XJ, 35s, LB lockers and makes rubicons with 35s or 37s look bad. He hasn’t snapped anything on his 99 XJ with a Dana 30.
I have an xj too, a lot lighter than the wrangler jlu. And i have snapped an axle shaft ( i have 35’s). The xj t case lacks the reduction and the 4.0 the power to shred drive train componenets so thats not really an apples to apples there fella.
Sponsored