Sponsored

What are minor things you wish you knew before buying a JLUR?

MikeJLUR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 4 door Rubicon
I had no plans on buying the LED package so I didn't research it before buying my Jeep. The Jeep I bought off the lot end up having it. Not a fan of the halo lights in the headlight. Looks ricey to me. Don't like how for the rear tail lights stick out.

Is my first Jeep with the premium soft top. Didn't think there would be a big difference but there's actually a huge difference.

Definitely feels a lot bigger than my old JKUR.
Sponsored

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
No deal killers, but I wish I knew that the rear seat head rests were non adjustable AND very low. As such, if you have a rear facing car seat with a high back plate, like a maxi-cosi that spins 360, it is nearly impossible to get the hook for the rear anchor under the seat rest. I would not have spend all that money on that particular seat in that case.

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
I absolutely love my Sahara. After a few months, I still have the itch to just go for a drive even if I have nowhere to go. It's just so much fun and the options are endless (sunrider position, doors off, half doors on, top down, etc.). I did not think I'd get so many compliments on something I drive. People love it, especially when the doors are off.

FitBliss

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Limited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
A lot of people mention the wind noise, and I was prepared for that.

The one that surprised me was the rain.

With the hard top on, in decent rain, it's freaking LOUD !!!!!!
So true, it's like being a in tent me, and my gal absolutely love the sound, it reminds you that you are in a jeep and this vehicle is made of special sauce! I did the back and fourth with the 4Runner as well so I get it. The big thing I liked about the 4Runner was the reliability, vs. the FCA jeep. Not that jeeps are that bad but Toyota's are just untouchable when it comes to longevity, even though their used value is way higher than the current models should be, kinda riding the brand name a little. But the 4Runner mods are also extremely expensive for instance new steel bumpers are are way more than the jeep ones and this trend follows for lifts etc. The jeep is so special, it's kinda hard to put into words, the drive is like nothing else, that first time you off-road and see how capable it is! The ability to take off the doors and roof! The history and back story along with the attention the body styling commands, it is simply a jeep thing.

Sponsored

Jeeporama

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLU), 2005 Jeep Liberty
Vehicle Showcase
I wish I knew how awesome I would feel everytime I get in.

If I knew, I would have bought 2.

:jk::like::jk:

I'm pretty sure bullets can bounce off my chest when I'm driving, but I haven't been in a situation that would verify that superpower.

Mikejd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
I honestly wish i knew that Jeep disabled a significant portion of CarPlay features while driving. I know i keep repeating this on the forums, but it's 100% extremely frustrating, and the worse part, they don't even disable any of the bluetooth (non carplay) features when the vehicle is in motion

This is the only thing i would change

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
Most vehicles out there, including the 4R, drive better than the jeep on the road. The JL is a great improvement and makes the jeep far more livable as a daily driver, but it's still a compromise. The wind noise is the other obvious annoyance but if you're looking for luxury and quiet don't get a wrangler. But the other thing I didn't know is how much it would get under my skin...in a good way! The Jeep is unique still today and it always brings a smile to my face. Heading 4 blocks to a drive through? Gotta pop the sunrider open for that for sure! Going to the market... what an adventure, bring it on! Not to mention all the wonderful adventures we'll take on the roads less traveled.

If I'd known how obsessive this vehicle would make me... would I have still bought it? Hell yeah!

jeep obsession.jpg
Wind noise ? Our JLU has the Alpine stereo. Turn it up and you hear no wind noise! The system totally rocks!

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
How cool it is! Had never owned a wrangler before I purchased my wife a 2019 JLU Sport S, this thing is a blast to drive. Now I want to sell my customized 2007 Power Wagon and get a Rubicon!
Bingo! I fell in love with my wife's JLU and now I gotta have one!

Sponsored

soar4100

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I am highly considering moving from my 2015 4Runner to a 2020 JLUR if/when 3.0D is released.

I am interested to know one or two minor annoyances you have with your JL that you didn't know before buying.

For example, my 4Runner has been insane for 55k miles, has taken me most places I've wanted to go, and has been put through it's paces. But here are things I wish I would've known before buying one...

- If you go bigger on tires (33s+) you will struggle to find a gear on the highway (5spd)
- In the mountains, at altitude, you will really wish you had more power if you are loaded down
- The paint is brittle thin and can only be buffed out a handful of times

I love my 4Runner but it's no longer fitting my needs and wants.

So -- what say you about the JL? What are some things you wish you knew?

als2052

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I would have to say the AC intermittently blowing outside air through blower behind glove box evert 20 seconds

WIJLU

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 XR
Love my jeep...but wish I would have realized how HORRIBLE the steering would be.

I didn't notice it on the test-drive because we were at slower speeds. On the highway, the dead spot in the steering is BAD.

Dealer tried several times to fix it...no luck. it's better now that I've worked with it...adjusted tire pressure, caster, toe, steering stabilizer, gear box, etc....but still very ill mannered on the highway! Honestly, take it on the highway at expressway speeds before you buy!!

otter3591

First Name
Denise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport
If I knew how gutless the 3.6 was in terms of low-end torque, I might have opted for the auto. Love my 6 speed, but I'm shifting a lot especially in headwinds, hills, when towing and tiny trailer, etc. Basically it's a high-rpm car engine, the auto would make it easier to deal with.

Can't believe I'm thinking I'd prefer an auto. haha wtf
I am loving my manual 6sp, travel through the Adirondack Mtns all the time, no issue.

OP
OP

Crux

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.0D JLUR ordered
Very helpful, all. Thank you.
Sponsored