Sponsored

What are minor things you wish you knew before buying a JLUR?

Altahami

First Name
Yunis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi
This is my first Jeep - when I picked it up, one of the more seasoned managers told me - this is a vehicle where you will either hate it right out the gate or love it to the point where you would not drive anything else. I discounted his comment at first but after seven months; the latter holds true. I love it.

The interior plastic could better.
Sponsored

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray Rubicon
I wish I knew my savings were going to be on hold for the longest time ever :giggle:
Forgot to mention - I also traded a 4runner Trail Premium for my JLUR. Like some mentioned before - I (sometimes) miss the extra space in the cargo area as well as the cockpit, but I would never go back!

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
4Runner current is sooooooo overdue for an interior and tech facelift. I had a current gen 4Runner and current gen Taco. I actually got the Taco because the interior/tech was > the 4Runner.
That said! Taste is subjective. My favorite Mexican restaurant is not THE BEST IN THE WORLD!!! - to me it is, but to others it may not be there BEST IN THE WORLD. - i digress.
Anyway, what drove me away from the 4Runner was the dated everything on the inside, what drove me away from the 3rd gen taco was the gutless and poor gas mileage. My JL is night and day better than the 4Runner interior wise again, subjective. The 8 speed auto is also getting me 20-21mpg daily on the highway (JLUR) when that taco was netting me 17 and the 4Runner was @ 13-14mpg. It wasn’t a hard sell for me. I do not try to climb buildings with my Jeep, i do wheel often and bout medium to medium + difficulty - all three will do that. So for me it was > tech, > interior, and > mpg. The wranger is just more fun for me.
If your most important no matter what must haves are highly reliable and something with a curve to the windshield the JL might not be the one LOL! If there is some combo of fun, mpg, can take the top off, looks bad-@ss, etc. is the goal, you will not regret the JL.

Sponsored

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Yesterday I was up in the mountains northern New Mexico it was hailing!! Holy crap it was loud. I have painted front and rear fenders stone chips are a major problem. The Jeep came with KO3 tires......hate them. The tires grab and hold every little stone and won’t let them go until you hit highway speeds
Might wanna look into RokBlokz ... they offer removable mudflaps for all Jeeps including the Rubicon. They stopped my rear fenders and lower back seat hinges from taking a beating.

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
A lot of people mention the wind noise, and I was prepared for that.

The one that surprised me was the rain.

With the hard top on, in decent rain, it's freaking LOUD !!!!!!
Sounds weird, with the 2012 JK I owned with the hard top, I actually enjoyed the loudness in the rain! Very adventurous, like I was out camping in a tent or something.

Kidder212

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0L turbo
TJ2018. I talked with my wife about this...........she said mud flaps on a Jeep???? I decided not to ask again. She made me feel like I needed to drive a Prius with mud flaps.

AZpueblo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon, '22 JLUR 4xe
My daily driver was my Hellcat Redeye. Quiet, powerful, super tight steering, a very comfortable cruiser....Then I bought my wife a 2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon in Bikini Pearl. So fun to drive and the polar opposite of the 'Cat. Really so much fun, and it has the optional Mopar headliner, so surprisingly quiet even on the highway. But my wife says "this is my car, get your own!".

So I did!

Bought the same options except in Punk'n and with the Falken MTs. At first I thought those would be annoyingly loud, but they are not! Good work by Jeep for picking those tires (and the tread is designed to not pick up rocks and it works as I have a large gravel driveway, yet the rocks don't stick in the tread!). I also made a simple hoist in my garage and use tie-down steps for removing the top (it's pretty light, about 100 lbs), so I can pop the top off in 10 min and put it on in the same amount of time. Super simple. I hardly drive my Cat anymore....

EE7FDD73-EBFA-4CDE-ACCD-1E0787950F74_1_201_a.jpeg

4C38A2A5-AE3F-49AB-BEC6-E62A553FB088_1_201_a.jpeg

C7C049F2-D905-4B4D-AFEB-C32BFEF9DD59_1_201_a.jpeg

Sponsored

jeeplaw

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Dodge Charger Daytona, 2019 JLUR
My daily driver was my Hellcat Redeye...
I "sorta" know where you're coming from...I had a 2016 Scatpack and before that I had a CTS-V. Love my HP cars, but the jeep is just something different. It's my everyday go anywhere and not a give a shit fun ride. Torrential flood? Good to go! Get groceries? Good to go! Trail ride? Good to go! Throw the dogs in the back and head to the local park? Good to go.

Willcbooth

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2015 Lexus GS350 FSport
Vehicle Showcase
The JLUR runs 37s with no problem at all. I’ve had 37s for a couple months on a 2.5” lift, and I love how it drives. Plenty of power to still be first off the line most of the time if you are ok with getting 4mpgs. You will lose 8th gear most of the time, but on longer, flat, or downhill roads it’ll come back for a little bit. I’ve never had a 4Runner and I’ve always had sports cars...but I can tell you, I may never buy anything but a Jeep from here on out.

AZpueblo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon, '22 JLUR 4xe
I "sorta" know where you're coming from...I had a 2016 Scatpack and before that I had a CTS-V. Love my HP cars, but the jeep is just something different. It's my everyday go anywhere and not a give a shit fun ride. Torrential flood? Good to go! Get groceries? Good to go! Trail ride? Good to go! Throw the dogs in the back and head to the local park? Good to go.
Oh, I still have the Cat to fulfill my need for speed!

But you're totally right, go anywhere and not worry about it....

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2015 SRT Grand Cherokee
Wish I knew that once I bought a wrangler, I’d never be able to not have one. My first was a 12 JKU which I bought on a whim as a second vehicle cuz I was always curious about owning one. Well after 6 years, 103k flawless miles and even more smiles, I’m on an 18 JLUR.

The enhancements to the JL have only made this an even better vehicle and I find myself accumulating miles on it faster than my SRT grand Cherokee!

Both are great rides, but something about the wrangler that just makes the whole ownership and driving experience a blast unlike anything else.

karynm8621

First Name
Karyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
That the aftermarket parts were going to take so long to be released.

I had a JK before, everything was available. LOL
Sponsored