Crawdad1028

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 6 speed with rubi axles, lockers, RCVs, trusses, and 5.13s
Vehicle Showcase
Really...that is great to hear. The front drain plug stays on my mind way too often.

Also, when you get a chance, post some more pics of your Jeep...the axles look great and I'm guessing the rest follows suit!
Thanks man. I'm really proud of it. I have more modest old school tastes but I feel like this is one lucky base model sport. :rock:

IMG_20190517_163008557.jpg

Screenshot_20190630-214308.png

IMG_20190615_161957318.jpg
Sponsored

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
My opinion, I believe that most of the stock components, including the axles, are adequate for most of the drivers, including myself. As the others said, I'm sure you could do Rubicon and some of the other trails. However, attempting anything MAJOR will yield broken driveline components without adequate upgrades. I witnessed a JL break their front axle attempting a 3-4' ledge climb with 38's. The axle broke rather easily, but again this was the u-joint that actually broke just outside of the knuckle. My guess is that that particular area is the weakest leak on these jeeps. Otherwise, I do believe that the actual diff itself is strong.

In short, capable -- yes... To a degree, which is why they sell extremely heavy-duty axles, and associated running gear. However, I will never need any of that. I'm more into Overlanding and exploring. Could care less about destroying parts on my jeep by wheeling.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Broken u-joint stories are 100% irrelevant, op has RCV's already. Trussed and gusseted I'd say the ball joints and ring and pinion are the weakest links at this point. 40's would be fine for the normal wheeling/crawling. If you rock bounce, go for a bigger axle out the gate. If you truly drive like a grandpa, I'd say you are plenty over built to rest easy.

Last edited:

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Your axles are built but your ring and pinion is weaker than it was bone stock so keep that in mind. I wouldn't go more than 37s.
This comes up so often. Do you know anyone who's ever broken a pinion? I agree that 37s is about all the Dana 44s can handle (even built), but the pinion is not the weak link here.

Reactions: D60

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I broke a 4.88 ring and pinion trying to back out of a bad situation. Yes they are much weaker in reverse, but trussed, gusseted, and rcv shafts the ring and pinion are the weak link in my opinion

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I broke a 4.88 ring and pinion trying to back out of a bad situation. Yes they are much weaker in reverse, but trussed, gusseted, and rcv shafts the ring and pinion are the weak link in my opinion
Well did you break the pinion shaft? That's what gets smaller as you go to lower gears and the argument everyone makes about going too low. The install also makes a huge difference in how the gears will hold up.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Curious...are people bending housings regularly?

Wondering why the trussing?

Planning to launch at dunes or something?

Not saying it's dumb, just asking why

Penance81

First Name
Tillman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Running 40's myself on stock rubicon axles. I do have 5.13 gears, adams 1350 drives shafts, and put artec's axle reinforcement on the front. So far so good, I have no doubt the stress is something to be mindful of but 6 months in now and no issues so far. I have wheeled quite a bit with the 40's, just did Moab this summer with no issues. Even being able to complete Prichett Canyon and Cliffhanger without issue. At the end of the day I just try to be careful with speed and extreme wheel spin. Will they break, possibly and if they do then I'll go 60's.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Well did you break the pinion shaft? That's what gets smaller as you go to lower gears and the argument everyone makes about going too low. The install also makes a huge difference in how the gears will hold up.
The pinion head gets smaller, fewer teeth, less engagement. Stripped/broke teeth on pinion and ring. I used to argue that the deep gear, small pinion strength loss was a myth, until it bit me.
Sponsored