Sponsored

What am I missing here... it sure seems to me like the upcoming hybrid is the ONLY Wrangler to get!

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Federal emission law requires an 8 yr 80,000 mile warranty on the generator and 48v power pack so that is what is listed in the 2019 Jeep warranty manual. I wouldn't buy it because it is far too complicated and requires premium gas which, cost-wise, does away with the small increase in mileage improvement. Also, the extra battery causes more pollution because battery manufacturing is one of the most toxic processes.

And as to the carbon footprint reduction with a plug-in electric Forbes a few years ago printed a study that was done that said just about everywhere except the NW it was breakeven or worse for the electric vehicle because most states rely on carbon fuel to generate electricity. Also don't like everyone paying taxes to incentivize people to buy electric cars (or solar panels, etc.). If a technology that has been around for decades can't sustain itself without my tax dollar it doesn't need to exist.

And right now the cost of battery replacement is very expensive so any car with batteries looses value because the next buyer knows it may cost a lot to replace them while they own the car. Yes we need to find a way to have vehicles that can go 500 miles with instant replenishing of fuel with reasonable cost but we aren't there anytime in the near future. America is a big country and while some only travel a few miles a day and can wait for an overnight charge, many live in areas where they need to drive long distances everyday or have jobs that require long trips. Plus do you have a car for short distances and one that can drive further for holiday and vacation travel? I don't want to be 4 wheeling in back country when my electric Jeep runs out of power. Not the same as bringing a couple of gallons of gas to get going again.

And I am not a millenial but I was a mechanical engineer that did design solar systems so I'm not against alternate energy but it has to make sense.
It doesnt take long to hit 80,000 mi.es. hell just in regular use and a 60 mile one way commute one day a week has put 10k miles on my jl in 7 months. So my warranty would be done in about 56 months or basically 4.67 years.

Plus that battery warrenty isnt likely to transfer to a new owner. Or god forbid you mod your jeep and they dont warranty your battery.
Sponsored

Lenny

First Name
Lenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara, 08 JK Sahara
Wonder how this will affect after market parts?? Lifts,Bigger tires,wheels,etc...

brewskisteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2001 Ford F350 4x4 crew cab 7.3L diesel
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I recently saw a youtube video of a guy inspecting a new JL 2.0 hybrid raised on a lift. I could not believe all of the extra cooling lines and additional systems that were needed to cool the 48V battery pack. There were cooling lines travelling all over the underside of this Jeep. That in itself made me think how would you fix a cooling line getting broken, pulled out while going off road far from civilization? I'm sure someday there will be after market fixes, but the new system looked like more problems than the average Jeep owner could deal with or afford?

I think hybrids definitely have there place when you're living in large cities and or have average highway commutes. Not offroading, rock crawling or mudding...at least not for now. Just my ten cents...

Im sticking with my 2018 JLU Rubicon for now.

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
If it was a non plugin like the Prius or a gas generator like the Volt, or even BOTH, then that would be AMAZING. I don't care how slow it is since Jeeps are already slow, even more so once you start modifying it, but the thought of being so big, heavy and having the brick like aerodynamics while hitting 30 mpg city is a dream come true

BearJewJonny

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JlU Sahara
Yea I live in nyc. I’m excited for some sort of hybrid version. There won’t be any real off roading going on at all. I am a big outdoors person so mountain biking, dirt biking, snowboarding, etc so it will see some off roading on occasion but nothing crazy. I just want a 4-door convertible basically. And if I can get decent mpg’s with this shit city traffic it would be great.

Hell with my average commute work wise if the gas engine doesn’t kick in until the battery is used up, which is how some plug ins are, I’ll probably almost never use any gas.

I just hope some leaks start coming out since the gladiator has now been revealed. This would be the next thing they got coming up to be released so it’ll be nice if we can hear some news about it.

It’ll either be a new one of these when it comes out or probably get a JL Sahara or rubi that’s coming off lease.

Sponsored

manuka

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR (on order), 2017 Chevy Volt
If it was a non plugin like the Prius or a gas generator like the Volt, or even BOTH, then that would be AMAZING. I don't care how slow it is since Jeeps are already slow, even more so once you start modifying it, but the thought of being so big, heavy and having the brick like aerodynamics while hitting 30 mpg city is a dream come true
I will likely be faster. Compare the Volt and Cruze: Volt 7.4 seconds 0-60, Cruze 8.0 seconds 0-60 (source: https://www.0-60specs.com)

manuka

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR (on order), 2017 Chevy Volt
It doesnt take long to hit 80,000 mi.es. hell just in regular use and a 60 mile one way commute one day a week has put 10k miles on my jl in 7 months. So my warranty would be done in about 56 months or basically 4.67 years.

Plus that battery warrenty isnt likely to transfer to a new owner. Or god forbid you mod your jeep and they dont warranty your battery.
With a commute like that you would save quite a bit of gas money if you could charge at both ends.

Also your math on the commute does not add up. 60 miles one way = 120 route trip. Times about 20 work days per month, times your stated 7 months = 16,800 miles

You should just indicate you are not interested in other options, even if they might be better for you or someone else and move on.

BearJewJonny

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JlU Sahara
Hopefully it’s done right and if it is it definitely has the capability to be faster.

My guess is that it will be because one of the main reasons they brought in that 2.0 turbo was I think partially for the mall crawlers who don’t want something super slow but also because of the advantages the extra torque gives while off roading.

Seeing what electric can do torque wise in a lot of these newer cars I’m sure that’ll be something in their sights.

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Hopefully it’s done right and if it is it definitely has the capability to be faster.

My guess is that it will be because one of the main reasons they brought in that 2.0 turbo was I think partially for the mall crawlers who don’t want something super slow but also because of the advantages the extra torque gives while off roading.

Seeing what electric can do torque wise in a lot of these newer cars I’m sure that’ll be something in their sights.
Having personally gone through Ford's phasing out of the V6, the whole 2 liter turbo having more torque and doing better than the v6 is just one big false flag to meet CAFE standards. Why in the world would anyone want to replace a perfectly fine v6 with a smaller engine in a giant vehicle, and to make it worse, turbocharge it which puts even more strain on little engine for such a heavy car? Ford gave the same old more torque, and better fuel economy pitch to justify the little engine, but good luck staying under spool on such a small engine. Fuel economy ends up just as bad as the v8 except now you're paying for premium fuel.

I never wanted the 2.3T in my Mustang, but it was their lowest trim that you could choose premium options and it wasn't any faster than the v6. They phased out the v6 by not offering any options with it, until they finally got rid of it all together.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With a commute like that you would save quite a bit of gas money if you could charge at both ends.

Also your math on the commute does not add up. 60 miles one way = 120 route trip. Times about 20 work days per month, times your stated 7 months = 16,800 miles

You should just indicate you are not interested in other options, even if they might be better for you or someone else and move on.
As far a charging both way...good luck finding a charge port at most work places...its not like i am going to leave it at a station then hop a bus to finish my commute. How many work places are going to want you sapping their electricity and raising their bills. My commute isnt 20 days a month...its 4 to 5. If i did commute 20 days a month id hit 80k miles and the end of warranty on the battery in 4.25 yrs. Or less if i included my weekend errends and stuff, in that case id likely be less than 4 years. Most people i know keep their jeeps/vehicles a lot longer than that.

To me the hybrid jeep will likely see success only on the leasing population in highly urban settings.

I can buy a lot of gas for the 5 to 10k a battery will likely cost.

Sponsored

Hazaa

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK 2dr Rubicon, 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk
He asked what he was missing..i told him. Not my problem that he cant face reality that hybrids are crap.
All you do is give your opinion. If hybrids were garbage major high end car companies like Porsche, Mercedes, Audi, Ferrari or any person who knows more about cars than you would not be making them. You are the kind of person who thought coils are worse than leaf springs, there should not be any engine in a wrangler beside a straight 6, and how carbs are so much better than fuel injectors. Get over yourself and your nonsensical opinion about a technology you apparently dont understand.

For off road and what most jeep people do, hybrid whether mild like the BSG or plug in will be better for you. It allows you to put bigger tires on the -vehicle with your drive train getting its ass handed to it. Hybrids and full electric are the future, sorry get over your techno-phobia and realize that when jeep does a hybrid it will be just as off-road worthy or better than jeep before it.

If you dont like a subject stop trolling it with your garbage attitude and go away. This is community help each other and does not need your garbage attitude to muddle it. Give real advice or get out.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lol
All you do is give your opinion. If hybrids were garbage major high end car companies like Porsche, Mercedes, Audi, Ferrari or any person who knows more about cars than you would not be making them. You are the kind of person who thought coils are worse than leaf springs, there should not be any engine in a wrangler beside a straight 6, and how carbs are so much better than fuel injectors. Get over yourself and your nonsensical opinion about a technology you apparently dont understand.

For off road and what most jeep people do, hybrid whether mild like the BSG or plug in will be better for you. It allows you to put bigger tires on the -vehicle with your drive train getting its ass handed to it. Hybrids and full electric are the future, sorry get over your techno-phobia and realize that when jeep does a hybrid it will be just as off-road worthy or better than jeep before it.

If you dont like a subject stop trolling it with your garbage attitude and go away. This is community help each other and does not need your garbage attitude to muddle it. Give real advice or get out.
First...everything in this thread is opinion. Second you dont know a thing about me. Further i have a right to voice my opinion on the matter just like anybody else. Just because some snowflakes cant handle someone having another opinion doesnt mean that that opposing view must be quieted. Go hide in your favorite safespace...i am not going anywhere

Hazaa

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK 2dr Rubicon, 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk
Lol

First...everything in this thread is opinion. Second you dont know a thing about me. Further i have a right to voice my opinion on the matter just like anybody else. Just because some snowflakes cant handle someone having another opinion doesnt mean that that opposing view must be quieted. Go hide in your favorite safespace...i am not going anywhere
No one here is in capable of handle what you are saying. I doubt anyone on here is what you would consider a snowflake. But I can tell you lack any real thought process since all you do is insult people and things around you who differ from you.

It is possible to have a debate and discussion about something even if you do not like it without insulting it or the people on the other side. But I guess you are like every other person in the world who would rather divide than true to discuss.

But I guess your safe space is hiding behind your computer screen and keyboard. But hey everyone needs to feel important and powerful at some time in their oxygen stealing life.

Now from this point on can we actually discuss pros and cons of hybrids with real facts and not opinions like the OP wanted...

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

For off-road I wouldn't use a full electric, hard to stretch an extension cord that far to recharge it versus bringing a couple gallons of gas. All manufacturers are trying electric because of corporate fuel usage requirements and is probably main reason Jeep went with the 2.0 because the Wrangler brings down the FCA average. Battery manufacturing and disposal are very toxic right now but maybe a solution will be found in the future plus some of the batteries need rare earth metals that are rare plus mostly are in China. And having to replace the very expensive battery packs will be a royal pain - imagine if every car owner had to replace their engine and transmission every 7 to 10 years.
And what about hydrogen cars, that was to be the future. Do you know where they get the hydrogen from? Fossil fuel.
As to people that don't know electric is the future being tech-phobes, I was a mechanical engineer and an IT consultant so what does that make me? An informed skeptic that has seen a lot of technology come and go and realize that their is no perfect solution for everyone. People in Montana, Texas, Alaska and other low density states travel too far for an electric vehicle with today's technology.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No one here is in capable of handle what you are saying. I doubt anyone on here is what you would consider a snowflake. But I can tell you lack any real thought process since all you do is insult people and things around you who differ from you.

It is possible to have a debate and discussion about something even if you do not like it without insulting it or the people on the other side. But I guess you are like every other person in the world who would rather divide than true to discuss.

But I guess your safe space is hiding behind your computer screen and keyboard. But hey everyone needs to feel important and powerful at some time in their oxygen stealing life.

Now from this point on can we actually discuss pros and cons of hybrids with real facts and not opinions like the OP wanted...
Hmmm, coming from the person throwing stones at me first. You dont know a thing about me. You simply cant handle that someone has a differing opinion due to their real world experience with hybrids. Get over yourself. You are not the expert or god, or king.
Sponsored