Sponsored

What am I missing here... it sure seems to me like the upcoming hybrid is the ONLY Wrangler to get!

pantheman75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cherokee Limited, 2023 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Alright... I'll readily admit that a lot of this post is speculation... but IF things go the way they appear to be going how is it that EVERYBODY isn't waiting for the hybrid model???
  • IF it's getting the same kind of setup as the Pacifica Hybrid it should EASILY get over 600 miles on a tank of gas (the Pacifica Hybrid has a 16.5 gallon tank with a 500-600 mile range and the current Wrangler has a 22.5 gallon tank so...)
  • The Pacifica Hybrid has a $7500 premium on it BUT also comes with a government $7500 tax credit so the upcharge is "free" in the end (unlike the 2.0 / Diesel engine upcharges)
  • The first 33 miles of Pacifica Hybrid use is all electric... so if you live less than 16.5 miles from work you'll essentially "never" use a drop of gas for your commute
  • It only costs about $1.30 in electricity to charge the battery... MUCH cheaper than gas
  • I'm sure that the torque is going to be similar or better than other setups
What am I missing here? It seems like an ideal Wrangler setup that is WELL worth the wait!
Sponsored

Jeepney18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Toyota Corolla S, 2018 JL Sport S Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
For me, it's not out yet. I got my JL 3 weeks ago with the options I wanted, so the plan is to have fun with it now and if I want to trade it in later, it can be an option.

BearJewJonny

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JlU Sahara
I had a 18 Sahara on order and due to a few circumstances I ended up cancelling it and I’m glad I did. I really wanted the hybrid to begin with and those circumstances forced me to wait and couldn’t be happier. Really pumped for this thing to come out. I wish there was more info leaking on it though haha

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
I would not expect a JL to be able to carry as large of a battery as the Pacifica. Also, the fuel economy is going to be worse since the JLs basically have the aerodynamics of a brick.

And spending an extra $7.5K in the *hope* that you might get a corresponding tax credit? Nawh, I'm not that trusting of a person...

And besides, it will probably have an *automatic* transmission instead of having a MAN pedal and I *hate* those things.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Alright... I'll readily admit that a lot of this post is speculation... but IF things go the way they appear to be going how is it that EVERYBODY isn't waiting for the hybrid model???
  • IF it's getting the same kind of setup as the Pacifica Hybrid it should EASILY get over 600 miles on a tank of gas (the Pacifica Hybrid has a 16.5 gallon tank with a 500-600 mile range and the current Wrangler has a 22.5 gallon tank so...)
  • The Pacifica Hybrid has a $7500 premium on it BUT also comes with a government $7500 tax credit so the upcharge is "free" in the end (unlike the 2.0 / Diesel engine upcharges)
  • The first 33 miles of Pacifica Hybrid use is all electric... so if you live less than 16.5 miles from work you'll essentially "never" use a drop of gas for your commute
  • It only costs about $1.30 in electricity to charge the battery... MUCH cheaper than gas
  • I'm sure that the torque is going to be similar or better than other setups
What am I missing here? It seems like an ideal Wrangler setup that is WELL worth the wait!
How come there isn’t a Prius in your garage? You list a bunch of cars, none of them even close to a hybrid you seem to wish for.

Reactions: VNT

Sponsored

OP
OP
pantheman75

pantheman75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cherokee Limited, 2023 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
How come there isn’t a Prius in your garage? You list a bunch of cars, none of them even close to a hybrid you seem to wish for.
LOL. Hybrids in those cars aren't an option... but the Wrangler WILL be :)

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
The problem with driving a Prius is that you automatically get labeled as a tree-hugging quiche-eating liberal. I also think that you are required to surrender your man card if you buy one. :)

Now, if Jeep wanted to do a "hybrid" and make it socially acceptable to real men, then they would include a winch that could run off of the hybrid battery such that it did not have a duty cycle. Combine that with enough battery capacity that you could run the a-c in the vehicle for an hour or more before the engine started to recharge the battery and it might get tempting for some people.

I still prefer a manual transmission though...

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Blazer, 2019 JLR, 2015 JLURHR (sold) 2014 JLUS (sold) 2014 JLRX (Sold)
The problem with driving a Prius is that you automatically get labeled as a tree-hugging quiche-eating liberal. I also think that you are required to surrender your man card if you buy one. :)

Now, if Jeep wanted to do a "hybrid" and make it socially acceptable to real men, then they would include a winch that could run off of the hybrid battery such that it did not have a duty cycle. Combine that with enough battery capacity that you could run the a-c in the vehicle for an hour or more before the engine started to recharge the battery and it might get tempting for some people.

I still prefer a manual transmission though...
Hey man Quiche is delicious alright!

lagunajim

Hopefully most of us don't define our masculinity by the energy-consciousness of our vehicle.

I used to drive a motorhome that got 6 miles to the gallon on it's V-10 engine. I guess that means as I man I win.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
My understanding is that electric motors have way better low-end torque. Has anyone seen specs?

Sponsored

lagunajim

My understanding is that electric motors have way better low-end torque. Has anyone seen specs?
From zero to 60 electrics are the fastest strongest thing out there... the only problem with electrics at the present time is they have very little power above that since they lack a transmission.

Something to do with the science of what happens to electric motors at super-high RPM's..

This is discussed with Tesla's all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:

koallinbear

First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Ordered, 2016 Renegade Trailhawk
With all the unknown information about the diesel, it made for sense for me to order the already available "Mild Hybrid" system. I'm going to take a fair guess that the plug in hybrids won't be available until late 2020- early 2021

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I thought I read in another thread a debate on the Wranglers gas tank being 17.5 or 18.5 gallons, not 22.5. Wranglers have awful aerodynamics, might be among the worst out there. Tax credits don't last forever, depends on your state. I'm also sure a hybrids off road capability (and reliability) will be justifiably questioned. I don't have the same insecurities as other people, driving a hybrid wouldn't bother me, (I like good milage), I just don't think a hybrid (or electric) Wrangler hits the spot though. That being said, I would be interested if VW brought back the e-Golf in a few years as a commuter car.

lagunajim

Mileage is not my hot-button issue, but understand that there are people in the "Jeep community" who think it's silly and feminine to think about the environment. They're the same people who think "rolling coal" on a Prius is the funniest thing they've ever seen.

bilash31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU, '18 GC
I thought I read in another thread a debate on the Wranglers gas tank being 17.5 or 18.5 gallons, not 22.5
Not to sidetrack the thread, but that discussion is that it seems fairly certain referencing build sheets that FCA switched the capacity in 2-doors from 18.5 to 17.5. The debate is why was that done. The Unlimited still has a 22.5 gallon tank.
Sponsored