What am I missing…Bottle Jack Prices?

Go4Low

First Name
Jorel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I’ll see bottle jacks like Omega and bottle jacks at hardware store for less than $100, then I’ll see other companies advertising the same lift capacity and reach for hundreds of dollars more.

Why are the prices of bottle jacks so wide ranging for a device that I'd imagine has to meet safety standards? I am not interested in paying for names, but I'll pay for quality.

Are there bottle jacks out there known for failing?
Sponsored

JEEP4U

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
You will pay more for Jacks made in USA. Increased operating temperature range. ASME/PASE rated. Ram and piston coated. Greater lift ranges........example: 14"-29.5"

OP
OP
Go4Low

Go4Low

First Name
Jorel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Rgr that, makes sense and thank you.... I took that towards my purchase U.S. Jacks 51013-2 8 Ton Hi-Range Low Temp.

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
Probably the same reason you can find good quality rock sliders for $900 and some other companies are charging $2000. Cause they can.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
If you are intending to use it for an off road flat, remember you need to get under the axle with zero sidewall. Can be tough to get both that short and get the lift you need to install the inflated tire.

Running 40s, you need something like 6" low to 18" high.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Go4Low

Go4Low

First Name
Jorel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Probably the same reason you can find good quality rock sliders for $900 and some other companies are charging $2000. Cause they can.

There's problem some of that in it too.

OP
OP
Go4Low

Go4Low

First Name
Jorel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
If you are intending to use it for an off road flat, remember you need to get under the axle with zero sidewall. Can be tough to get both that short and get the lift you need to install the inflated tire.

Running 40s, you need something like 6" low to 18" high.

With 40s I was able to lift from the axles using the stock scissor jack and a mopar jack base...I also use to carry a couple pieces of flat wood base.

But I also needed a good trail jack, something that could lift from the frame if I needed to...With that I switched to a 3 ton pro-eagle and an AGM Jack rod, the reach was great, I could lift from the frame and sag the suspension.

Now I need a jack that takes up less space in my cargo area and a bottle jack seem to be the best fit...I'll also be looking into some extensions and adapters

OP
OP
Go4Low

Go4Low

First Name
Jorel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
my wife got me a kit from this outfit for christmas. https://safejacks.com/
Good on your wife!

My wife refused to buy anything for OUR Jeep... she said I have a problem because the jeep gives her anxiety...Well clearly she is the one with the problem and needs to go get seen for her anxiety issues 😆

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
With 40s I was able to lift from the axles using the stock scissor jack and a mopar jack base...I also use to carry a couple pieces of flat wood base.

But I also needed a good trail jack, something that could lift from the frame if I needed to...With that I switched to a 3 ton pro-eagle and an AGM Jack rod, the reach was great, I could lift from the frame and sag the suspension.

Now I need a jack that takes up less space in my cargo area and a bottle jack seem to be the best fit...I'll also be looking into some extensions and adapters
Yup, I use the stock scissor with the Mopar base. Just wanted to make sure you weren’t relying on it for a swap, had that issue on my first trail gash on this Jeep. Had a short enough bottle to fit under the axle, but couldn’t get height enough to get the the spare on.

Sponsored

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Sadly quality costs. An El Cheapo from Harbor Freight will work (assuming it has the lift and capacity you need) for a while. A truly high quality one will last for decades.

Remember you will never pay for a Yugo and get a Cadillac, but you “may” pay for a Cadillac and get a Yugo😳

JJ_WA

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Dakota, 2017 Cherokee, 2023 Willys XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Higher Education
Clubs

Sadly quality costs. An El Cheapo from Harbor Freight will work (assuming it has the lift and capacity you need) for a while. A truly high quality one will last for decades.

Remember you will never pay for a Yugo and get a Cadillac, but you “may” pay for a Cadillac and get a Yugo😳
Point taken by we old fogies...but even a Yugo can go for prime dinero today, nearly twice the cost of a new one back in 1988! :LOL:

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Point taken by we old fogies...but even a Yugo can go for prime dinero today, nearly twice the cost of a new one back in 1988! :LOL:
Well there is that. I suspect a very high recent age of forum members have no idea what a Yugo even IS😏.
Sponsored