Sponsored

What aftermarket battery are you running?

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Don't get me wrong, I think the Genesis system is a well thought out dual battery solution. My issue is with the smart solenoid. Another issue you will find out sooner than later is that the 2nd battery will not charge until the main battery is fully charged. Hitting the trail here in AZ with the AC on high, headlights on for safety and low speed travel doesn't charge fast like highway driving, so my 2nd battery over a period of 2 or three days ends up being low enough that it will not operate my fridge by the end of the 3rd night . I have a 65 quart dual zone Dometic and keep the freezer near 5 degrees so that the fridge section stays around 38.
You need a solar panel and controller, that's a big fridge to run that cold in the AZ heat.
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Optima Yellow Top H6. is what I installed about a month or so ago in our 2018 JLUR Perfect fit cables and all. Have had nothing but great service from Yellow Tops.
This H6 is heavier and has more reserve energy than the older designs.
Great Warranty

OPTIMA_YT_H6_LN3_48_3-4_Right.jpg
I just plunked down $300 to replace the battery in my wife’s Yukon with a Yellow Top. I have never tried this brand before. Fingers crossed that it is worth the premium price tag!

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
No small battery for me anymore

2BF5CF25-E06F-45E6-A679-CFE0C3E0BB2D.jpeg
30ADB40F-21E2-4CE8-8B2B-D2DE0BED7F2D.jpeg
53012EE3-3093-45F3-8FE6-BE22BFB300DF.jpeg
You mounted your charger in such a permanent 'Tesla-like" manner. You can't have envy.

I just ordered a Genesis kit and a pair of batteries and a 12a charger, cause I just need another charger.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I just plunked down $300 to replace the battery in my wife’s Yukon with a Yellow Top. I have never tried this brand before. Fingers crossed that it is worth the premium price tag!
They used to be awesome. Haven’t heard good things since they moved manufacturing to Mexico.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
You mounted your charger in such a permanent 'Tesla-like" manner. You can't have envy.

I just ordered a Genesis kit and a pair of batteries and a 12a charger, cause I just need another charger.
I always park my Jeep is the same spot and several days a month it sits for almost a week so it just seemed to make sense to mount it, ask @TTEChris about my OCD for having stuff straight and being zip tied

@neil did you go with the Odyssey 12 amp ?

Sponsored

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I always park my Jeep is the same spot and several days a month it sits for almost a week so it just seemed to make sense to mount it, ask @TTEChris about my OCD for having stuff straight and being zip tied

@neil did you go with the Odyssey 12 amp ?
Yep, bought odyssey batters and the 12a charger. I have a battery tender plus, and one of their older 5a ones, and another one, and a RC hobby charger that is the most customizable....that would work because it's a 2 bank 20a each side and I can program the curve, but my kid would get pissed!-I can use that one if I need more than 12a.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, bought odyssey batters and the 12a charger. I have a battery tender plus, and one of their older 5a ones, and another one, and a RC hobby charger that is the most customizable....that would work because it's a 2 bank 20a each side and I can program the curve, but my kid would get pissed!-I can use that one if I need more than 12a.
The battery tender plus ( I assume Deltran ) will work but takes like forever to get to float, as it days..... the one I was using is 1.25 amps and the Cole Hersee solenoid pull between 200-700 ma so I was not even getting all of the 1.25 amps, it worked fine on my stock battery setup but these Full Rivers at 64 ah each take a lot to get them to 100%

Shane at Genesis recommended the 20 amp Odessey but it’s a pretty hefty size charger maintainer and I just wanted compact and the NOCO Genius 10 fits the bill for $99, so far it takes less than 30 mins to get to 100% and within a few hours it goes to float and I’m ok with that.

I sure the Odessey 20 amp would put it to shame but it was quite a lot more.

I plan on do some daily voltage checks for a week to see where they level out at

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I have the odyssey 20a charger. What I like about it is that after it charges it does a recondition cycle. From my experience with batts on military aircraft (dry cell, wet cell, AGM, and Lithium ion) a recondition greatly extends the life of batteries and helps recover some lost capacity.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
The battery tender plus ( I assume Deltran ) will work but takes like forever to get to float, as it days..... the one I was using is 1.25 amps and the Cole Hersee solenoid pull between 200-700 ma so I was not even getting all of the 1.25 amps, it worked fine on my stock battery setup but these Full Rivers at 64 ah each take a lot to get them to 100%

Shane at Genesis recommended the 20 amp Odessey but it’s a pretty hefty size charger maintainer and I just wanted compact and the NOCO Genius 10 fits the bill for $99, so far it takes less than 30 mins to get to 100% and within a few hours it goes to float and I’m ok with that.

I sure the Odessey 20 amp would put it to shame but it was quite a lot more.

I plan on do some daily voltage checks for a week to see where they level out at
the battery tender plus will take a week to get one of the batteries to 80%, so no, I would never go that route.

My kid's rc charger is the bomb, I've used it on deep cycle batteries, shows real time curve time left, etc and does it with up to 24v.....but that is a 4 bill charger----dc-dc

The 12a will get me where I need to be overnight.

FWIW I have a NOCO jumper pack that works all the time.

Sponsored

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I have the odyssey 20a charger. What I like about it is that after it charges it does a recondition cycle. From my experience with batts on military aircraft (dry cell, wet cell, AGM, and Lithium ion) a recondition greatly extends the life of batteries and helps recover some lost capacity.
my experience as well. why I bought one, this is something my fancy dc-dc charger will not do.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
The NOCO 10 has a recondition mode but dont think it’s automatic, here are the specs

Jeep Wrangler JL What aftermarket battery are you running? F2DDFEDD-5467-4297-A662-3A4E1C266007
Jeep Wrangler JL What aftermarket battery are you running? A44A0F41-AFB3-473A-BEC8-98DF13FED16F

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Unless after a full charge it goes to a maint mode on its own and does some sort of conditioning

Jeep Wrangler JL What aftermarket battery are you running? 53AA4562-302B-4A95-B44C-96744858322D

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
They used to be awesome. Haven’t heard good things since they moved manufacturing to Mexico.
Dang. Did some more digging and the consensus seems to be, “used to be great, now they are unreliable.”

Luckily I did a “ship to store” order that I could cancel with no penalty. I’m going to put an Interstate in the GMC, instead.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Dang. Did some more digging and the consensus seems to be, “used to be great, now they are unreliable.”

Luckily I did a “ship to store” order that I could cancel with no penalty. I’m going to put an Interstate in the GMC, instead.
Iv'e had crap luck with interstates for the past 5 yrs in my 02 yukon.
Sponsored