Sponsored

What aftermarket battery are you running?

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I
My experience with the Genesis system over the past 4+ years hasn't been quite what you are explaining. My main battery doesn't seem to disconnect when it gets to 12.7 volts and continues to be drained by the 2nd battery. I've experienced a dead main battery several times over the years which I attributed to the fridge/freezer in the back.. All of my aftermarket stuff runs off the 2nd battery, the main battery only powers as it did from stock with no additional connections. Then again, my Optima yellow tops just don't last more than a year to 14 months and both get replaced on a regular basis by optima under warranty for the past 4 years.
Is your fridge plugged into the factory power outlet? That one is and always will be powered by the main battery. Most people install a different outlet, connected to the bus bars on the aux batt. If you have already then you have a problem with your system. Mine disconnects exactly as it should.
Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I
Is your fridge plugged into the factory power outlet? That one is and always will be powered by the main battery. Most people install a different outlet, connected to the bus bars on the aux batt. If you have already then you have a problem with your system. Mine disconnects exactly as it should.
Hey Jim:

Question....

Maybe with the Genesis system what you say is true--you having (much) more knowledge of where appliances in the 3.6L JL tap power with this setup than I do.

But I wonder, with the factory battery configuration if this is true. Don't get me wrong, this backs you up https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/POWER-OUTLETS.pdf and I tend to agree with you, and yet with the two factory batteries connected in parallel at all times but ESS events and an instant prior to a cold crank, I'm wondering if the ESS/Aux battery is tapped as well from the power outlet, given this parallel connection to the main battery, or for that matter if the ESS/Aux battery exclusively runs the power outlet during ESS events.

It's not, from what I've read, that the ESS/Aux battery runs everything during ESS events. I think Jerry @Jebiruph once reported that power steering is a main battery powered function, even during ESS events.

...just a curiosity thing....no biggie....:)

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Jim,

How does one tell if itā€™s disconnecting like it should ? I run no power accessories other than a winch so just curious

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR Diesel, '17 Cherokee, '16 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Retired - most of the time anyway
Iā€™m hoping thatā€™s not the case for me, the Full River 750ā€™s Iā€™m running were pretty pricy and I donā€™t want to be left stranded but Iā€˜m not running any accessories other than a winch and my after market off-road lights are tied into my factory fog light harness and donā€™t get used much.

If itā€™s not disconnecting maybe itā€™s an issue with the relay controller and I would think this would be covered under the Genesis warranty but Iā€™m guessing after 4 years the warranty is over

I personally would look to a different battery maker..they should last longer than 15 months but maybe there are other issues causing them to go bad, I had been using a tiny Deltran tender on my stock setup for almost 3 years and never had a single battery issue but I always worried about that ESS battery so thatā€™s why I jumped on the Genesis system and also upgraded my charger to the NOCO 10 as the Deltran was lacking in charging the Full River 750ā€™s, it did work but took a few days to go to float mode and my plan is to use the NOCO as often as I can to keep my batteries at peak charge for a long life I hope.
I know of two other Jeepers in my club that also have the Genesis system that have the same issues with the smart solenoid. The one guy went to the shop in Vegas that did his Vortec engine conversion who told him that he has seen the issue many times before and switched out the smart solenoid from Genesis to a standard type solenoid and his issues stopped. I will be doing the same thing soon.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I
No, I have a separate 12v line running from my sPOD (connected to my 2nd battery) to the fridge in the back. Nothing other than what was connected at the factory is connected to the main battery and I don't use the 12v outlet in the back for anything. I did mention in another reply that the place in Vegas that did the Vortec V8 conversion for my buddy said he has seen this issue many times with the Genesis system and he replaced his smart solenoid with a standard one, his issues stopped. I will be doing the same thing with mine soon.

Sponsored

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
So it sounds like the tradeoff for the Genesis system not leaving you stranded are:
1. solenoid - can this be replaced with a genesis solenoid if it goes bad?
2. ESS-6 then error, either purchase a device to leave it in off state or DWI.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I know of two other Jeepers in my club that also have the Genesis system that have the same issues with the smart solenoid. The one guy went to the shop in Vegas that did his Vortec engine conversion who told him that he has seen the issue many times before and switched out the smart solenoid from Genesis to a standard type solenoid and his issues stopped. I will be doing the same thing soon.
Currently have my JL on a NOCO 10 charger/tender and once I pull it off tomorrow it should be fully charged on both Full River 750ā€™s and I will then just take voltage readings once a day for the week and see how much the voltage drops, I know the Cole Hersee relay has a small parasitic draw as another member here advised me of that and I believe he said it pulls 700ma of power and then I have my winch on the aux side and even though Iā€™m not using it I bet it has a relay that powers a solenoid so there may be a small parasitic draw there as well.

I know from reading the stuff on the Genesis system that itā€™s supposed to drop out the main once it gets to 12.7 volts so you always have cranking power and even if it drops below you have the boost from the aux to tie it to the main so you are not left stranded, I know some systems I have looked at before the Genesis had standard solenoids that were controlled with a rocker switch so it never opens unless you tell it to but the Genesis is automatic based on a preset voltage.

It may or may not cause problems for me but in the end all electronics are problematic or some degree just look at the original FCA design of there duel system with ESS battery that have left countless people stranded,.

I am not going to say the Genesis system is perfect as I hav only had it a few days but Iā€™m hopping it gives me several years of no issues and when something happens I hope itā€™s easy to diagnose and repair as we all know nothing last forever and a new designs always replace old

Leisure Freak

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door Sport, 1981 Toyota SR5 Convertible PU, 2002 Chevy Tracker, 2015 Impala, 90 Civic,
Currently have my JL on a NOCO 10 charger/tender and once I pull it off tomorrow it should be fully charged on both Full River 750ā€™s and I will then just take voltage readings once a day for the week and see how much the voltage drops, I know the Cole Hersee relay has a small parasitic draw as another member here advised me of that and I believe he said it pulls 700ma of power and then I have my winch on the aux side and even though Iā€™m not using it I bet it has a relay that powers a solenoid so there may be a small parasitic draw there as well.

I know from reading the stuff on the Genesis system that itā€™s supposed to drop out the main once it gets to 12.7 volts so you always have cranking power and even if it drops below you have the boost from the aux to tie it to the main so you are not left stranded, I know some systems I have looked at before the Genesis had standard solenoids that were controlled with a rocker switch so it never opens unless you tell it to but the Genesis is automatic based on a preset voltage.

It may or may not cause problems for me but in the end all electronics are problematic or some degree just look at the original FCA design of there duel system with ESS battery that have left countless people stranded,.

I am not going to say the Genesis system is perfect as I hav only had it a few days but Iā€™m hopping it gives me several years of no issues and when something happens I hope itā€™s easy to diagnose and repair as we all know nothing last forever and a new designs always replace old
All batteries eventually fail. The best part with the Genesis is everything is up on top now and you don't have to dismantle 2 hours of crap just to get to a battery.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Don't get me wrong, I think the Genesis system is a well thought out dual battery solution. My issue is with the smart solenoid. Another issue you will find out sooner than later is that the 2nd battery will not charge until the main battery is fully charged. Hitting the trail here in AZ with the AC on high, headlights on for safety and low speed travel doesn't charge fast like highway driving, so my 2nd battery over a period of 2 or three days ends up being low enough that it will not operate my fridge by the end of the 3rd night . I have a 65 quart dual zone Dometic and keep the freezer near 5 degrees so that the fridge section stays around 38.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Don't get me wrong, I think the Genesis system is a well thought out dual battery solution. My issue is with the smart solenoid. Another issue you will find out sooner than later is that the 2nd battery will not charge until the main battery is fully charged. Hitting the trail here in AZ with the AC on high, headlights on for safety and low speed travel doesn't charge fast like highway driving, so my 2nd battery over a period of 2 or three days ends up being low enough that it will not operate my fridge by the end of the 3rd night . I have a 65 quart dual zone Dometic and keep the freezer near 5 degrees so that the fridge section stays around 38.
Welk for me maybe it wonā€™t be an issue, i currently only have one aux accessory connected to the aux battery and itā€™s a winch, I do believe the winch has a very small parasitic draw that pulls it down some, I donā€™t use ESS as itā€™s bypassed with a Smart Stop/Start module so I pretty much just have my aux battery as a backup and wanted to get to the batteries easier down the road and finally I plan on keeping my batteries hooked up to a tender several days during the month when itā€™s idle to keep them at peak charge so hopefully all of this will keep me rolling down the road with not worries

Sponsored

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
Simple solution......disconnect the IBS sensor and youā€™ll charge at 14.2v the entire time you are running. Thatā€™s what I do and no problems so far doing that. Another poster on here said he leaves his IBS disconnected all the time and has had zero issues.

PSA for people reading this.......no issues disconnecting the IBS WITH the Genesis system.

Leisure Freak

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door Sport, 1981 Toyota SR5 Convertible PU, 2002 Chevy Tracker, 2015 Impala, 90 Civic,
30 mins......
I appreciate hearing it is only a 30 min job. I should have been more specific. 2 hours for me to get to that little battery with with my arthritic hands and bad back. I would be embarrassed to publicly admit how long it took me to instal my bestop sunrider for hardtop. Those f'n little "S" retainer pins/clips...

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I appreciate hearing it is only a 30 min job. I should have been more specific. 2 hours for me to get to that little battery with with my arthritic hands and bad back. I would be embarrassed to publicly admit how long it took me to instal my bestop sunrider for hardtop. Those f'n little "S" retainer pins/clips...
For the little battery it is often easier to pull the entire fender off and then drop it from below.