Sponsored

What a Metal Cloak Front Diff Skid Looks like after 18 Months.... Time to replace

DonBucket

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2 door
I know that I have some trouble avoiding rocks... but after 18 months, I don't think I have much life left in my front diff skid plate. Note: the Seem is coming apart on the left side of the picture.
Jeep Wrangler JL What a Metal Cloak Front Diff Skid Looks like after 18 Months....   Time to replace 1650312113088

What's the best front diff skid you have found?
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
If you don't go with another Metalcloak (of have that one repaired), I'd assume you'll need another diff cover as well. I bet there's a chance Metalcloak would sell you the skid only if you call.

The Next Venture one looks pretty beefy and extends further back under the pinion and DS flange, but it's still mostly 1/4" so I'm not sure you're getting a ton more durability.

Sponsored

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
I know that I have some trouble avoiding rocks... but after 18 months, I don't think I have much life left in my front diff skid plate. Note: the Seem is coming apart on the left side of the picture.
Jeep Wrangler JL What a Metal Cloak Front Diff Skid Looks like after 18 Months....   Time to replace 35EE1CEB-9712-4585-9DD0-F0004AF55974

Look at Next Venture skids, that is what I run.

No Spark V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubi 3.0 GCM
Clubs

I have Next Venture's rear diff skid and beat it up pretty good last year. I took it off, hit it with a flap disk then repainted and reinstalled. I wish I took a picture. Just this past weekend installed their front diff skid.

Sponsored

Initial-Jeep

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 392XR Tuscadero, PT Cruiser Dream Cruisers 2&4
Occupation
Data Engineer, Retired Air Force
I am not a fan of diff skids that uses the diff cover bolts to fix it to the diff.
I was wondering about this very thing: wouldn't it transfer the stress to the bolts?

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
1650312113088.jpeg

They have an updated skid for the front; call them and they will sell it to you separately.

It solves this issue as it's captures on the rear of the pumpkin as well; like the NV skid.

OP
OP
DonBucket

DonBucket

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2 door
They have an updated skid for the front; call them and they will sell it to you separately.

It solves this issue as it's captures on the rear of the pumpkin as well; like the NV skid.
Ok, I will ask them.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I initially bought MC diff covers and skids, but the diff covers are cast and would be difficult to drill and tap (or I should say that I did not to do that) for my temperature sensors. I went with Motobilt covers (which are a clone of the NV covers at 1/2 the price) and NV skids. These skids are super heavy duty.

Here is a good representation of the front:

NVJLFDS210-00_900x[1].png
Sponsored