What a joke no start cold weather

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Just when I thought the decades of poor reliability for jeeps was an exaggeration last night I left my keys in the car. Temp hit low 30.

Got in my car this morning and no start key fob not detected. WTF key was very cold so grabbed spare key inside house and it starts.
That isn’t uncommon at all and not specific to Jeep. Key fobs are notoriously temp sensitive for all vehicles. Absolutely zero to do with Jeep. The price of your vehicle, and 65k isn’t that expensive by the way, has nothing to do with it. The battery in the fob cost the same in a Jeep as it does in any manufacturer using the same battery.

This is like complaining that your wipers stuck to your windshield after an ice storm and you paid 100k for your car. As if that changes the laws of physics…..
Sponsored

BigGame

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
On many cars I have owned, the FOB and the car love to communicate with each other when the FOB is inside the card. I had an Acura RL whose car battery would die if FOB stayed in when I was away for a week. A BMW that ate CR2032s. In both cases, in home garage, so that the car is not exposed to the public. Cold make it’s worse.

Koolkarguy

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro blue Jt 2012 Gecko green Jk 2021 Gecko
Just when I thought the decades of poor reliability for jeeps was an exaggeration last night I left my keys in the car. Temp hit low 30.

Got in my car this morning and no start key fob not detected. WTF key was very cold so grabbed spare key inside house and it starts.
I have had this happen a few times out hunting we keave the key in the gas door incase one of us comes back early etc. If you put the fob in your hands and rub it or breathe on it a few minutes it will work always has for us and thats sitting out side in sometime - temps

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
Sounds like you discovered Jeeps new anti-theft device, for those who think it’s a good idea to leave your key in your Jeep overnight? (I’m sure you had it in the garage)

Sponsored

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
I was amazed at how long the battery in my last vehicle's keyfob lasted using the factory Panasonic coin battery (CR1620 made in Indonesia, iirc). Got about 5 months shy of 10 years of near daily use out of the damn thing. And even then, it still worked fine, just not well every time or at a distance.

Never kept it in the cold too much, other than when the car was warming up (key/fob combo, so hanging in the ignition instead of my warmer pocket). Lithium batteries suck in the cold, so don't expect it would've lasted more than a day or two if left overnight in sub-freezing temperatures.

And not lithium, but the factory Panasonic starter battery in that same car lasted even longer before exhibiting any issues (G35 AGM made in Japan). Over 12 years without being changed, and still started the motor after sitting unused for a few months the day I sold it.

Last edited:

JLeco2022

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 3.0 V6 Eco Diesel
I was amazed at how long the battery in my last vehicle's keyfob lasted using the factory Panasonic coin battery (CR1620 made in Indonesia, iirc). Got about 5 months shy of 10 years of near daily use out of the damn thing. And even then, it still worked fine, just not well every time or at a distance.

Never kept it in the cold too much, other than when the car was warming up (key/fob combo, so hanging in the ignition instead of my warmer pocket). Lithium batteries suck in the cold, so don't expect it would've lasted more than a day or two if left overnight in sub-freezing temperatures.

And not lithium, but the factory Panasonic starter battery in that same car lasted even longer before exhibiting any issues (G35 AGM made in Japan). Over 12 years without being changed, and still started the motor after sitting unused for a few months the day I sold it.
funny thing is i've been stationed in some colder places, Fort drum being one that I know i had 2 key fobs, legit never had issues with the fob not working, new car fobs are a different breed and when i say new i mean the last 10ish years

Nvdardx28

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
You're complaining about the battery in the key fob, but you have a JLUR 4xE... I agree it's annoying, old analog keys still work in the cold but when we sign up for advanced technology, it comes with a tradeoff. All these batteries and wireless devices will fail, and with more and more of them in these vehicles we are increasing our chances for things to go wrong.

Sponsored

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
funny thing is i've been stationed in some colder places, Fort drum being one that I know i had 2 key fobs, legit never had issues with the fob not working, new car fobs are a different breed and when i say new i mean the last 10ish years
Yeah, my old one was from MY2010 and while it handled remote lock/unlock type of stuff, it didn't handle the same level of security as the newer fobs. Though in all honesty, the RFID chip in the JL's fob that's required to be in close proximity before allowing a start should be passive and cause little to no added drain on the fob's battery. Not sure if that's actually how it was designed to work, though. I'm guessing there's a good chance that it's broadcasting something for whatever reason.

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
Since when did a dead key fob battery become something to post about.

Put a new f*king battery in it and carry on. Jesus H....
when the snowflake generation came about..... news flash, iphones dont like cold either.

HeN2O2

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon Diesel; 1983 CJ-8
I would sue the battery manufacture. Then I would raise an army, invade China, and execute the workers at the battery plant.

Alternatively, I would just periodically check the battery and change when necessary.

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
In terms of readings a manual you shouldn't need a manual to figure out how to start your car in the cold.
Actually, you don't have to. If you look at the screen when you push the start button (without a working fob) it directly tells you to push the end of the key fob to the start button.
Sponsored