Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR Rubi, 2023 C8 Corvette Z06 & 2023 Ducati
Occupation
Stay at home dad to 2 munchkins, best job in the world!
Thank you. Local-ish. . .It was taken last Saturday at the Badlands in Attica Indiana.
Very cool, thanks! Is that the off-road park a few hours from here? I heard someone mention it a while back, but I can't remember the name.
Sponsored

Brosef

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 392
Yeah she’s an awesome machine. I really enjoyed being off road with it. First time owning a Rubicon. It’s just fun. I will say it’s slower than I thought it would be but by no means am I disappointed. I hope that makes sense. I love this jeep and I’m so thrilled to drive it every single day now.
I somewhat agree. perhaps I've owned too many fast cars, but I expected it to feel a bit faster based on the high 12s 1/4 mile.

having said that, I think there's a bigger difference between 1st and 2nd gear in this car in particular. one thing you'll notice the more you drive is the following: if you pull away from a rolling stop (i.e. 5mph) with 50% throttle you'll be in second gear and it moves ok. but if you put up 50% throttle from a dead stop, you'll pull away MUCH faster as you'll be in first. of course it's obvious that first should pull harder, but the difference is big, and I have found more than anything that the transmission tuning and gearing is what holds this car back from feeling as fast as it could be. it would be nice if, at a minimum, it were tuned to be more willing to step down to 1st gear under moderate throttle.

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
Very cool, thanks! Is that the off-road park a few hours from here? I heard someone mention it a while back, but I can't remember the name.
Yes, I assume that is the one you have heard mentioned, took me about 2 hours from Homer Glen area. Not much else close by now that the Cliffs have said no Jeeps or SUV's anymore.
I used to be @Badlands every weekend 15-20 years ago. Then started going to CO and UT for extended trips yearly. Its been 8-10 years since I was at the badlands and it is much different, ALOT less Jeeps, now its probably 25 to 1 UTV's and SXS vs. Jeeps. Maybe more. Personally, no way I'd take my 392 there...lots of tight midwest trails and obstacles. The TJ doesn't go out west anymore, and the 392 won't see much offroad action in the midwest.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
I somewhat agree. perhaps I've owned too many fast cars, but I expected it to feel a bit faster based on the high 12s 1/4 mile.

having said that, I think there's a bigger difference between 1st and 2nd gear in this car in particular. one thing you'll notice the more you drive is the following: if you pull away from a rolling stop (i.e. 5mph) with 50% throttle you'll be in second gear and it moves ok. but if you put up 50% throttle from a dead stop, you'll pull away MUCH faster as you'll be in first. of course it's obvious that first should pull harder, but the difference is big, and I have found more than anything that the transmission tuning and gearing is what holds this car back from feeling as fast as it could be. it would be nice if, at a minimum, it were tuned to be more willing to step down to 1st gear under moderate throttle.
Extremely valid point. Would you consider going with an aftermarket tune?

Sponsored

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
I know what you mean. Everything you read says how quick the 392 is. It is extremely quick, but only for a Jeep. All that talk made me lose perspective somewhat.
it’s the fastest wrangler I’ve driven lol. If that saying much but I just expected a little more ooomph. I will probably look at adding other cars at some point to get that instant jolt I was expecting.

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR Rubi, 2023 C8 Corvette Z06 & 2023 Ducati
Occupation
Stay at home dad to 2 munchkins, best job in the world!
Yes, I assume that is the one you have heard mentioned, took me about 2 hours from Homer Glen area. Not much else close by now that the Cliffs have said no Jeeps or SUV's anymore.
I used to be @Badlands every weekend 15-20 years ago. Then started going to CO and UT for extended trips yearly. Its been 8-10 years since I was at the badlands and it is much different, ALOT less Jeeps, now its probably 25 to 1 UTV's and SXS vs. Jeeps. Maybe more. Personally, no way I'd take my 392 there...lots of tight midwest trails and obstacles. The TJ doesn't go out west anymore, and the 392 won't see much offroad action in the midwest.
Gotcha, thanks for the info. Where are the cliffs? Is that a park of some sort, and are people still allowed to run SxS's there? Sorry for being a pest, I'm still pretty new to the area so I have no clue where anything is. 😕

BeepBeepIssaJeep

First Name
Bee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 392 Xtreme Recon
For the Wife
Jeep Wrangler JL What’s your other car?? IMG_1606
Jeep Wrangler JL What’s your other car?? IMG_1038

For me

The 392 XR will be enjoyed by both of us and our dog....
Jeep Wrangler JL What’s your other car?? IMG_3204

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
it’s the fastest wrangler I’ve driven lol. If that saying much but I just expected a little more ooomph. I will probably look at adding other cars at some point to get that instant jolt I was expecting.
What car(s) are you coming from? Some of us have gotten used to turbo engines. This 6.4 builds speed smoothly. It also has good top end.

For me, I was expecting better punch low in the rev range, from a stop (like when driving normally and shifting at 2.5K rpm...it's kind of soft under those circumstances). But then I learned it's an over square engine so that explains it. It has better top end than I was expecting. I thought it would die up top but it continues to pull.

Sponsored

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Yeah she’s an awesome machine. I really enjoyed being off road with it. First time owning a Rubicon. It’s just fun. I will say it’s slower than I thought it would be but by no means am I disappointed. I hope that makes sense. I love this jeep and I’m so thrilled to drive it every single day now.
I would have to concur with your assessment. I was a little underwhelmed at first also. Especially with all the talk of a 13 Second flat quarter. No matter what ya say that is a pretty quick quarter. What is really interesting is that mine actually seems to be running better. Around 2000 miles. I have never fed into the car "loosens" up. Been involved with waaaay too many cars over the years. No, it is not a race car, but she seems to have gotten a little bit more of an edge as of late. FWIW.

Sam

el_guapo

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Dodge Viper, JLU 392
Jeep Wrangler JL What’s your other car?? IMG_3466.JPG

2013 Dodge Viper GTS is my current DD. My 392 will probably give it a run for the money as far as fun to drive. Not sure I'll ever be able to get rid of either of them...