What’s this for??

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
You might be interested in this also:

Sponsored

Merlin28

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 JK Sahara builds , JL Rubicon, 95 XJ build
Wow it’s the same setup with a sub? How can we actually verify if the speakers are actually better?

Ntegtmeyer

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2014 Jeep Patriot Oscar Mike Edition, 2012 Jeep Compass Limited
Those are mics for the active noise cancellation. You'll notice 4 total throughout the Jeep that look like that. Only the wranglers with the alpine sound system have the active noise feature however. The mics above where the rear view mirror is is for the phone/handsfree. Why FCA has the cutouts for the active noise mics in every wrangler, I don't know. Probably cheaper than manufacturing two different types of trim pieces.

OP
OP
tcadaniel

tcadaniel

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi
Thanks everyone! I wonder if people with excessive hardtop noise have the NC in their jeep? Mine has the Alpine and it’s what I would call noise appropriate for a Jeep.

Ntegtmeyer

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2014 Jeep Patriot Oscar Mike Edition, 2012 Jeep Compass Limited
Thanks everyone! I wonder if people with excessive hardtop noise have the NC in their jeep? Mine has the Alpine and it’s what I would call noise appropriate for a Jeep.
I don't know what others sound like, but I also have the hardtop headliner in my JL and it is extremely quiet. My JL is quieter than my old 2015 JKU, and I had less-aggressive tires on my JK. The active noise feature though is meant more for low frequency tones, not really meant for aiding in road noise--mainly engine/trans noise. I do feel it makes a difference though overall.

Sponsored

Scott2373

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F150 / 2018 Sahara JLU. Formerly 2013 JK and 2003 Liberty Renegade
It is a mic for hands free.

That answer the dealer gave you belongs in the dumb shit dealers say thread! LMAO :cwl:
Is this an actual thread, cuz I've got a few things to add to it! LOL!

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
... except the dealer was right.
Looking at post #1 again I realized I made a rookie mistake and did not read the text. I thought this was the front left corner of roof up by windshield same as the JK mic location. Had I read it and realized it was in the sport bar I would have not said anything. No sense putting a mic behind the drivers head.

Sponsored

Merlin28

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 JK Sahara builds , JL Rubicon, 95 XJ build
Dudes playing it through the ancient aux connection instead of the superior, digital lightning port.
Not only does that music suck but u can’t tell anything from that useless video...

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Alpine system and the dealer said that each of the speakers have their own amp built on to it. I can tell you the system ROCKS. I actually keep the bass at -3 on the equalizer because their is too much of it for most songs. If I have the bass up I will feel the hard thumps in the floor and keep thinking I ran over something.

In terms of noise cancellation that is not a very accurate wording. It's really a feedback system. You can set the radio sensitivity to low, medium or high. Based on that it reads in the noise, like wind noise, road noise and raises the volume on your radio to compensate, on high it will really raise the volume and on low not so much . I had a Honda with the same thing.

As you get on the gas and really start moving you can hear the volume go up and then hear it go down as you slow down or stop.

We the had Freedom panels out, windows down doing 70 and you obviously could hear wind noise but that stereo was so tight you could still here it perfectly with no distortion or loss of power.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
In terms of noise cancellation that is not a very accurate wording. It's really a feedback system. You can set the radio sensitivity to low, medium or high. Based on that it reads in the noise, like wind noise, road noise and raises the volume on your radio to compensate, on high it will really raise the volume and on low not so much . I had a Honda with the same thing.

As you get on the gas and really start moving you can hear the volume go up and then hear it go down as you slow down or stop.

We the had Freedom panels out, windows down doing 70 and you obviously could hear wind noise but that stereo was so tight you could still here it perfectly with no distortion or loss of power.
I believe true noise cancellation systems in modern automobiles are more sophisticated. They use the speakers to emit frequencies to cancel road and engine noise, even with the stereo turned off. With that being said, I have no idea if Jeep is using a "true" noise cancellation system or something as simple as you describe.

I know in the Honda forums, the first thing many audiophile owners do it remove the ANC (Active Noise Cancellation) module because it plays havoc on aftermarket stereo systems and even the stock system as well.
Sponsored