What’s next? Rubicon Trail Mods

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72BlazerCrawler 72Blazer12V 88SBDuramax 18JLUR
Occupation
SLP
Well, after a 10 day wheeling trip to Moab and San Juan Mountains, I was left very impressed with my JLUR. The current setup includes 2” Mopar lift, 37s, bumpers, winch, and Steer Smarts links with a Synergy steering brace. We have a trip planned for later this year for some Texas wheeling and a Rubicon trip next summer.

What would you recommend for needed mods, and not gimmicky mods?

Prior to my Texas trip, I’d like to swap in some 1.75” spacers, gut the rear inner fenders, and run some kind of AAL front inner fenders to hopefully cure the rubbing at full flex. I’m trying to avoid lifting it anymore.

Other than that, I’d like to get some input for the Rubicon. Recommend aftermarket driveshafts? Rock rails? RCVs? Rotopax type fuel tanks? I did fully lay the JLUR on the stock rock rails on Poughkeepsie Gulch so I think they will do. Of course, I’m not made of money so that’s why I’m asking what the best bang for my buck would be. If it’s absolutely recommended for the Rubicon then definitely like to upgrade. My concerns are mainly being 2500+ miles from home and if the driveshafts/ axle shafts will hold up.

TLDR; What recommended parts to run the Rubicon Trail?
Sponsored

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
Well, after a 10 day wheeling trip to Moab and San Juan Mountains, I was left very impressed with my JLUR. The current setup includes 2” Mopar lift, 37s, bumpers, winch, and Steer Smarts links with a Synergy steering brace. We have a trip planned for later this year for some Texas wheeling and a Rubicon trip next summer.

What would you recommend for needed mods, and not gimmicky mods?

Prior to my Texas trip, I’d like to swap in some 1.75” spacers, gut the rear inner fenders, and run some kind of AAL front inner fenders to hopefully cure the rubbing at full flex. I’m trying to avoid lifting it anymore.

Other than that, I’d like to get some input for the Rubicon. Recommend aftermarket driveshafts? Rock rails? RCVs? Rotopax type fuel tanks? I did fully lay the JLUR on the stock rock rails on Poughkeepsie Gulch so I think they will do. Of course, I’m not made of money so that’s why I’m asking what the best bang for my buck would be. If it’s absolutely recommended for the Rubicon then definitely like to upgrade. My concerns are mainly being 2500+ miles from home and if the driveshafts/ axle shafts will hold up.

TLDR; What recommended parts to run the Rubicon Trail?
You cant ask for NON gimmicky mods, immediately followed by saying you are going to put spacers on. :)

OP
OP
72Blazer

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
SLP
You cant ask for NON gimmicky mods, immediately followed by saying you are going to put spacers on. :)
Why? Saved money, ran my stock wheels at 10 PSI, works for my purpose, and pushed the wheels out the same as an aftermarket wheel. Drove 3500 miles on them with a return home and had Discount rotate and balance my tires. While they were there, they double checked my torque specs with all still at 150 ft lb. At this time, I have not found a reason to upgrade my wheels other than pure aesthetics...and I still like the idea of retaining a stock look.

Non gimmicky meaning do I really need aftermarket rock rails or driveshafts or skid plates etc....:headbang:

IceBerg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XR 392
Dont get spacers...get the correct wheels. Spacers are not ideal.

Are you going to do anything to your D44s to handle those 37" tires?

That should be what your focus should be. You are sitting on a ticking time bomb.

Consider getting Better axles, balljoints, re-gearing, a c-gussets at the very least.

OP
OP
72Blazer

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
SLP
Dont get spacers...get the correct wheels. Spacers are not ideal.

Are you going to do anything to your D44s to handle those 37" tires?

That should be what your focus should be. You are sitting on a ticking time bomb.

Consider getting Better axles, balljoints, re-gearing, a c-gussets at the very least.
I’m considering upgrading the front axle to RCVs but definitely would like to gusset the axle tubes. Regearing and ball joints are currently on my to do list. Even if I felt I wanted to, Budget wise I doubt I could make it happen.

as mentioned, I just came home from a 3400 mile trip that included wheeling the San Juan Mountains and parts of Moab with no concerns regarding my wheel spacers and stock gearing. No irregular tracking from the tires or uneven wear when the tires were rotated. ReGearing and aftermarket wheels are the bottom of my list to do.

Sponsored

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
I'd consider ditching the stock lower control arms. Or all of them. All in the name of security.

New drive shafts are probably getting close depending on your shock length.

Is your steering box covered under the TSB?

On board air?

IceBerg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XR 392
if you are going to do it just do them all at once. regearing, axle swaps, ball joints all require the axles pulled. Save on labor.

But you said you have 37s already. I dont know how you are doing it with factory gearing. 8th gear must not exist for it and 7th is probably rare.

OP
OP
72Blazer

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
SLP
I'd consider ditching the stock lower control arms. Or all of them. All in the name of security.

New drive shafts are probably getting close depending on your shock length.

Is your steering box covered under the TSB?

On board air?
What I don’t get is the “Rubicon” is labeled after a world famous trail that can be done in stock form supposedly, hence why the need for further upgrades? Or is this only true for running it with the bypasses?

The Mopar lift utilizes new front LCAs. I think if my plan was to do all new CAs I’d definitely be looking at a whole new kit from Metal Cloak or someone similar. But budget wise it probably won’t be in the cards by next summer. @Jeep Generation seems to have wheeled the piss out of his setup...unless I’m mistaken on his setup.

I’d like to do the steering box update and will be looking into next month when I take it in for my screen replacement. Not sure I want the dealer messing with my aftermarket steering setup Or if they’d decline working on it because of that.

Plan is to have a Powertank or Viviar setup by then.

if you are going to do it just do them all at once. regearing, axle swaps, ball joints all require the axles pulled. Save on labor.

But you said you have 37s already. I dont know how you are doing it with factory gearing. 8th gear must not exist for it and 7th is probably rare.
Have you ran the Rubicon? If so, do you believe all those upgrades are needed?

I ran in 7th 98% of the time thru all kinds of terrain from flat ass Texas to the Hill Country to New Mexico to the Colorado Mountains to Moab and back home. My best mileage was between Santa Fe (?) and Durango...half a tank of fuel netted me 20.2 hand calculated and prior to that from Roswell driving north got 18.7 with a lot of that hitting 8th. My HikeIt has greatly improved my throttle response thru the whole power band. That’s pretty much how I do it. I will say I do use manual 7th often to keep it there but seems happy when I do use it. As far as saving labor, my buddy has a full shop and wouldn’t be a huge concern. I think at this point the only way I’d regear is when I go to 40s.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Could always pick up some cheap spares since everyone takes them off. Just thinking how much it would suck to tweak one of the arms or something in the middle of nowhere.

You know... security. Is this your first Jeep? :flipoff2:

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
My vote goes to skids and rock rails. If you still have your stock wheels when you go, be sure you have stuff to reset the bead if you roll one. I was very happy to have beadlocks for that trail. We did the entire trail on half a tank of fuel. That was unloading the trailer in lost pine and driving back there thru Tahoe.

It was a long two days but we can’t wait to run it again!

Im pulling the skids off ours to hang on the wall and give folks a visual of why you run skids. Replacing them with the same MC ones!

brett

Sponsored

OP
OP
72Blazer

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
SLP
Could always pick up some cheap spares since everyone takes them off. Just thinking how much it would suck to tweak one of the arms or something in the middle of nowhere.

Yes. A little different from my built Rockwell Blazer on 47s. :devil:

OP
OP
72Blazer

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
SLP
My vote goes to skids and rock rails. If you still have your stock wheels when you go, be sure you have stuff to reset the bead if you roll one. I was very happy to have beadlocks for that trail. We did the entire trail on half a tank of fuel. That was unloading the trailer in lost pine and driving back there thru Tahoe.

It was a long two days but we can’t wait to run it again!

Im pulling the skids off ours to hang on the wall and give folks a visual of why you run skids. Replacing them with the same MC ones!

brett
Just take a picture and sell them to me! :rock: Let’s run it next summer.

OP
OP
72Blazer

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
SLP

That’s a good idea btw. Take at least LCAs as spares.