What’s it worth?

aggiechris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 392
I mulling getting rid of the 392 for a new Carrera S. Having a hard time coming up with a price to either to trade (I trade won’t give anything on upgrades).or sell it outright

Any thoughts oh wise 392 board?

here is what I have:
  1. Metal cloak 3.5” game changer
  2. Adams front and rear 1350 driveshafts
  3. 4.88 regear, metal cloak diff covers and armor
  4. Metal cloak front and rear bumper
  5. Warn zeon 10s winch
  6. Rustys rear tire carrier
  7. Baja designs lp6 and a pillar lights
  8. Dual top
  9. Dual doors
  10. Lod destroyer sliders
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Word of advice. Mods/accessories/add-ons aren't usually worth anything to a dealership when you are trading in. If it didn't come with the vehicle, don't include it in the trade. Either remove the items and sell independently or sell the vehicle privately to someone willing to pay for the vehicle as is.

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
Word of advice. Mods/accessories/add-ons aren't usually worth anything to a dealership when you are trading in. If it didn't come with the vehicle, don't include it in the trade. Either remove the items and sell independently or sell the vehicle privately to someone willing to pay for the vehicle as is.
^^ What @jludave said. You MAY get a small bump from a dealer on a trade in, but no where near what you have in it. Either remove the add-ons and sell them separately or sell the Jeep as is yourself.

caraholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taycan Turbo, 392XR, 981S, F430
Remove all mods before you sell to the dealer. Most dealers will actually offer you less for a modded vehicle.

OP
OP
aggiechris

aggiechris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 392
I’ll probably sell it to an individual, the better question is what is a good asking price?

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I would at least get a baseline dealership cash price (Carvana, Carmax, Vroom, etc.). Who knows in todays market, but I would think private party at the price range you're in would significantly limit your buyer pool.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I’ll probably sell it to an individual, the better question is what is a good asking price?
Whatever someone is willing to pay.

Truthfully, with the mods you've added, you can ask for whatever you think is fair. But in the end, the final price will be what the buyer is willing to pay for the vehicle and how you modified it.

JEEP4U

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Good starting point......Blue Book + 5K

OP
OP
aggiechris

aggiechris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 392
Thanks everyone lots of good info here!

looks like I may have a few 392 items up for sale pretty soon!

3924me

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 XR
Carrera s lol. Unless its a gt3 save your money. And check this thread out

Sponsored

Rubi64L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sting Gray 392, 2000 Supercharged WJ
You could put it on Bring a Trailer and set the price that you're willing to accept. It's a lengthy process, though - they'll make you have the car professionally photographed from every conceivable angle (or you could do it yourself - have a look at the photos on other cars that they have listed). Or, list it in all the usual places and see what you get for it.

On the down side, if you would have listed it a few months ago when 392s were impossible to order, you would have gotten whatever you asked for it (within reason). Now, you'll probably get somewhere around MSRP for it.

The mods are totally dependent on the buyer. If the buyer wants them, then they'll pay for them. If they don't, then you're way better off just bringing the car back to stock and selling the mods individually.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
You could put it on Bring a Trailer and set the price that you're willing to accept. It's a lengthy process, though - they'll make you have the car professionally photographed from every conceivable angle (or you could do it yourself - have a look at the photos on other cars that they have listed). Or, list it in all the usual places and see what you get for it.

On the down side, if you would have listed it a few months ago when 392s were impossible to order, you would have gotten whatever you asked for it (within reason). Now, you'll probably get somewhere around MSRP for it.

The mods are totally dependent on the buyer. If the buyer wants them, then they'll pay for them. If they don't, then you're way better off just bringing the car back to stock and selling the mods individually.
I was thinking that, when I checked BaT, they just had a AEV 370 392 not make reserve end at under 80k.

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
I was going to suggest $8-10K over current blue book, and only sell private party. Even w/o the mods, I bet you could get someone to pay that for a 392. Depending on your area, they can be hard to find.

Having said that, I'm also not opposed to what some people have suggested about taking the mods off (that you can) and selling those separately. Would still put the jeep up for $8-10K over blue book though. If someone bites, you could always use the mods as a way to sweeten the deal if you need to negotiate. "What if I throw in an LP6...?"

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
As an example, the only thing that would add value to me as a prospective buyer is the 4.88 and winch. Anything else would be a detriment to the value. So, if it were me, I'd KBB it at good or very good and then deduct 10% for the stuff I don't like about your build.

You have to realize too that your price, if more than KBB, will be close to new. If it were me, I'd much rather have a new vehicle with no mods than $10k in mods I don't like.

Rubi64L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sting Gray 392, 2000 Supercharged WJ
Another thing I forgot to mention is timing is everything. Right now, anyone can go and order a '23 392 for under invoice. Things have softened, interest rates are high, and the economy is crap. If it were me, I'd keep it for a year, or until Jeep stops taking orders for 392s again, and then sell it. It's very highly unlikely that 392s will be available after '23. In fact, it's a bit of a miracle that Jeep is still selling them in '23.

A dealer near me made out like a bandit. He had a 392 XR get delivered right when Jeep stopped taking orders, he listed it for around $160k, and he got it. Then, a few weeks later the '23 orders opened up again, and he breathed a sigh of relief because he would have had to sell it for around MSRP. The buyer probably feels like a dumb ass.
Sponsored