Sponsored

What’s in your Rear Cargo Space?

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Love that the Jeep came with the hidden cargo space under the floor. Looking for insporation on what to store in there.

Let’s see some pics of your storage space.
I have a two door, so my cargo space is taken up by the sub.

No pics handy, but here is a video of it
Sponsored

jlang

First Name
JDawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Punk'D Rubicon
Occupation
Semi-Retired
On the booster cables thought: I stored mine back there too. That was until my sweet wife left it in gear and didn’t shut the ignition off. I came out the next morning and the battery was dead. Well you can get in the front doors with the manual key, but you cannot get in the rear tailgate when the keep is dead, and if you can’t the tailgate open you can’t get into the rear cargo compartment. I’ve now located my cables under the rear seat.
Good PRO TIP

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
How did I never think of that? Thanks a lot for sharing man. Im gonna move them outa there!! Cant believe jeep doesnt have a rear latch you can open.
@Hawknz8 this is pretty interesting, so I poked around a bit just now.

Apparently they stopped putting the tailgate keyhole sometime early 2020. My 2020 delivered in '19 has one:
Jeep Wrangler JL What’s in your Rear Cargo Space? 20210913_174808

If your tailgate panel is off, you might be able to push the lock release up from the inside. On those jeeps with a keyhole, the tumbler is attached via the orange clip with captive rod in the back to a small lever in the latch assembly:
Jeep Wrangler JL What’s in your Rear Cargo Space? 20210913_174741

It might be different for those with no keyhole, but I doubt it, as all of the electronics are in the latch assembly. The orange loop is my own addition, for opening from the inside. My panel is permanently removed.

If you have a keyhole, but for some reason want to disengage it, you can rotate this white retaining clip 90°:
Jeep Wrangler JL What’s in your Rear Cargo Space? 20210913_174433

The rod can then disengage from the tumbler, and allow you to lock and unlock manually from the inside, or with the keyless entry, but the key will no longer actuate the lock.

A dime will fit into the white retaining clip, but I immediately fumbled mine into the abyss, permanently increasing the resale by $0.10

Modifying the white clip to be a quick-release would be simple, you just break off a small safety. You could add a twist tie or pin afterwards. I can't think of any reason to do this, as opening the tailgate with the key manually does set off an engaged alarm.

Maybe as an (another) emergency exit?

Sponsored

rfm8os

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2022 Cadillac CT-5 V
On the booster cables thought: I stored mine back there too. That was until my sweet wife left it in gear and didn’t shut the ignition off. I came out the next morning and the battery was dead. Well you can get in the front doors with the manual key, but you cannot get in the rear tailgate when the keep is dead, and if you can’t the tailgate open you can’t get into the rear cargo compartment. I’ve now located my cables under the rear seat.
Like @LittleDog my 2020 also has a keyhole on the tailgate. I had to go confirm as I have proximity locks so I never use the key!

RubiBlueJLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Occupation
Structural Technician
Recovery gear. Tree strap, pull strap, d-rings, folding shovel, tire plug kit, Schrader valves, valve stems, gloves, tarp, ratchet straps, bungees, hatchet.

RFR JLR 2.0

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist
Jack base
Jumper cables
Type S jump starter
Flashlight
Gloves
Ratchet strap
Tie down strap
Tire repair kit
Gloves
Machete
Small hatchet (probably going to cut my finger off if I ever use it)
Rubber gloves (for after I cut my finger off)
Jeep Wrangler JL What’s in your Rear Cargo Space? AA4646B7-5F68-4F1F-8B75-449826C6972E
Jeep Wrangler JL What’s in your Rear Cargo Space? 9DAD8374-5EB3-41A8-8ADD-C7A1566E2D68

Sponsored

Frank R.

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
2 mega-sized heavy-duty trash bags - to cover the front seats when it rains and I'm too lazy to put the cab cover on.

Frank R.

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
my disc golf bag
I don't keep my bag in there, but there are always enough cast-off discs under the seats to get me through an emergency round should the need arise.
Sponsored