What’s downside to 392 outside of cost and mpg

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
I had a V8 Jeep in the 70s. It was a blast to drive and I never got it stuck. Even pulled a semi tractor trailer off the road once. However, AMC failed to upgrade the drive train parts with the more powerful motor. That, coupled with an 19 year old with a heavy foot and a “my Jeep can do absolutely anything“ attitude, cost me several rear axles and hubs. Presumably they have fixed everything but the heavy foot.
You had to upgrade yourself. My CJ5 got Detroit lockers, the stoutest axles, and every possible upgrade when the L79/ Muncie was installed. Even the time I twisted the main shaft in the Muncie giving a show off smart-ass in his tunnel-ram, bright traction bar etc a lesson in humility the rear end held. Unfortunately: embarrassing him cost me a main shaft so who really won ?

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle Sport Diesel
I had a V8 Jeep in the 70s. It was a blast to drive and I never got it stuck. Even pulled a semi tractor trailer off the road once. However, AMC failed to upgrade the drive train parts with the more powerful motor. That, coupled with an 19 year old with a heavy foot and a “my Jeep can do absolutely anything“ attitude, cost me several rear axles and hubs. Presumably they have fixed everything but the heavy foot.
AMC 360? I had a 78 scout with a 345 and I seem to recall both being similar. Both would redline at like 4400 rpm lol.

Apparently not much has changed for me. I think my Jeep diesel redlines about there too.

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
Maybe it’s me but after adjusting for my tire size with the taser mini today, the Jeep seems to responding better. Placebo?
Definitely not placebo. When I traded my 18 for the 392, I removed the Tazer that had been installed since the day the 37's went on. The drive to the dealer the Jeep was noticeably slower and didnt drive nearly as good as with the Tazer. The Tazer went right on the 392 immediately. I am thinking shift points as well.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Not for a dd. 35s rock it. Anything over 37 with lifts is not what i would enjoy on the highway at 100. 40s and such have their own niche and need. On Her Highness, as a dd.. that would be a totally unsafe vehicle for me. Now 40s on a tj... that would be hot.
Yes you're right on a windy day everyone knows what it's like driving a lifted Jeep. You're going to have first time she boners never drove one they have the money think it's cool to buy this and be rolling them on the highway to watch you'll see they're not going to know how to drive a Jeep how to handle want to know to slow down on Windy days

Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Not to mention you're not going to be able to just drive us anywhere and park it they will be stolen big time just for the motor alone I don't need to spend over $1,000 a month on a vehicle payment or put a big down payment I can have just as much fun in my JL Rubicon they can say it has more power for off-roading so what I have just as much fun in my JL Rubicon and my personal needs and fund is what matters to me half the people behind this are buying it just so they look cool just like people used to ride around and Diesel pickups when they first come out the power stroke and didn't even pull anything you are people buying this not even going off-roading I just hope they've drove juice before know that you can roll one pretty easy on a windy day. I can have just as much fun like I said it's going to be a status thing for some people just say they have one

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
I doubt you can have as much fund as I have light to light in your JLUR. I definitely am selective about where, when, and how long I park it...theft concern is real. CPD buddies have warned me about all the mopar thefts they have been dealing with on SRT's and SCAT PACKS! :giggle: :beer:

el_guapo

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Dodge Viper, JLU 392
I also have a very heavy right foot, ...so I'm not mature enough to own it...at 46.
That's WHY I own it. Get a fuzzbuster, never drive without Waze, and slow down for the corners a bit, an you (OP) will have no regrets.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler392; ‘20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Not to mention you're not going to be able to just drive us anywhere and park it they will be stolen big time just for the motor alone I don't need to spend over $1,000 a month on a vehicle payment or put a big down payment I can have just as much fun in my JL Rubicon they can say it has more power for off-roading so what I have just as much fun in my JL Rubicon and my personal needs and fund is what matters to me half the people behind this are buying it just so they look cool just like people used to ride around and Diesel pickups when they first come out the power stroke and didn't even pull anything you are people buying this not even going off-roading I just hope they've drove juice before know that you can roll one pretty easy on a windy day. I can have just as much fun like I said it's going to be a status thing for some people just say they have one
Omg punctuation or paragraphs please.

Tbh it doesn’t look or handle much differently than other JLs. It’s legitimately just more money, power, weight, etc.

Sponsored

HelmsJeep

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2DR/Softop/Manual
AMC 360? I had a 78 scout with a 345 and I seem to recall both being similar. Both would redline at like 4400 rpm lol.

Apparently not much has changed for me. I think my Jeep diesel redlines about there too.
Nope, it was a 304 as I recall. Small but still torquey in that CJ5 body. Back then three healthy teens could upright one on its side with just physical force. Ask me how I know 😂 (twice).

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
I nominate this post into copypasta 2021 hall of fame:clap:

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I doubt you can have as much fund as I have light to light in your JLUR. I definitely am selective about where, when, and how long I park it...theft concern is real. CPD buddies have warned me about all the mopar thefts they have been dealing with on SRT's and SCAT PACKS! :giggle: :beer:
exactly my point light to light. I don't care about flooring the pedal and burning the gas just to feel like I have a fast Jeep. That doesn't do anything for me. I out grew that stage in my life after high school lol. I know its fun to drive but its not for everyone. I rather have a nice Jeep like I do now and invest my money but I'm happy for you. but at my age now I invest my extra money. Not saying your wrong its just not for everyone. Some people don't see spending over a $1000 on a payment worth it to them

cbh

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 392
Occupation
Retired Air Force
I had a Ram Rebel with a Hemi. Power was great. Gotta 3.6L eTorque JL now. Aside from the crazy cost premium and reduced MPG of the 392, are there any other downsides to consider? I know speeding tickets is one - lol.
[/QUOTE
1) The hood (with the attached Hydro-Guide System) weighs 26 lbs., not easy to lift with one hand while you fiddle with the hood prop rod with the other hand, so I installed the Redline Tuning Hood Lift Kit. Now I can lift the hood with 2 fingers.
2) Short-range 21.5 gallon gas tank. I’m getting 14+ in town and 17+ on the highway, so the range is barely 300 miles.
3) Exposed aluminum oil pan with 13.75” clearance -- Jeep already replaced it mid-cycle with a stamped steel oil pan with 15.25” clearance -- better, but still not enough for rock crawling.
4) Fear of it being stolen. I installed locking hood latches. Some owners are installing Manual Kill Switches but you have to integrate into the vehicle's electrical system....Not for me.

Note: None of these nitnoy complaints diminish the sheer joy of that naturally aspirated 6.4L V8 on the other side of the pedal. I traded my 2019 Challenger Scat Pack because it just wasn’t versatile enough for my active life style. With the 392 I feel like I get the best of both worlds, tons of power, intoxicating engine rumble and real versatility whether you’re hauling sports equipment or making a trip to Home Depot.
Sponsored