What’s downside to 392 outside of cost and mpg

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
This forum is particularly egregious in that respect - at least when compared to other vehicle forums.
And I thought it was pretty mellow over here. I was a moderator on a truck forum years ago and it was non-stop warnings and suspensions work for half a dozen moderators.
Sponsored

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Absolutely, point of the post.
Sorry, I'm getting some of that internet crossed wires thing going on. So the point of your post was to represent yourself as biased?

Oh, I think I get it. You're doing the "I only care about me and what I think, reality be damned"? If so, here are your macho points, I suppose. I think you can redeem those for an extra-long hotdog at your nearest Seven Eleven.

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
Sorry, I'm getting some of that internet crossed wires thing going on. So the point of your post was to represent yourself as biased?

Oh, I think I get it. You're doing the "I only care about me and what I think, reality be damned"? If so, here are your macho points, I suppose. I think you can redeem those for an extra-long hotdog at your nearest Seven Eleven.
Jeep Wrangler JL What’s downside to 392 outside of cost and mpg E0057187-5324-49ED-86FE-5918BF72C05C

Sponsored

CpT Papa

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RUBICON 392

No, you really didn't get it. I gave 2 examples, opposite sides of the spectrum, of biased posts I have seen here and other forums. Though when it comes to my Jeep, what I put on it, where and how I drive it, if I do care what you think I will send you a message.

Alleycat392

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Metal Mulisha Custom
Folks keep saying that - but that loophole really existed for a very limited period of time. Don't buy any new jeep or new truck expecting to take advantage of that without checking with the current Section 179 and your tax advisor first!
Read the code. It 100% exists for small businesses and is valid and has been confirmed by my tax advisor.

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
Read the code. It 100% exists for small businesses and is valid and has been confirmed by my tax advisor.
I have read it, but may not have read it correctly. Section 179 totally exists, accelerated depreciation totally exists. You're saying you were able to depreciate a larger amount for an SUV over 6000 lbs than you would have been able to had it been under 6000 lbs?

I was reading:
Although vehicles used to transport persons or property for pay or hire and vehicles rated at more than the 6,000-pound threshold are not passenger automobiles, they are still "other property used for transportation" and are subject to the special rules for listed property.

and

Maximum Depreciation Deduction
The passenger automobile limits are the maximum depreciation amounts you can deduct for a passenger automobile. They are based on the date you placed the automobile in service.

Passenger Automobiles
The maximum deduction amounts for most passenger automobiles are shown in the following table.
Maximum Depreciation Deduction for Passenger Automobiles (Including Trucks and Vans) Acquired After September 27, 2017, and Placed in Service in 2020
Date​
4th &​
Placed​
1st​
2nd​
3rd​
Later​
In Service
Year
Year
Year
Year
2020​
$18,1001​
$16,100​
$9,700​
$5,760​
2019​
$18,1001​
$16,100​
$9,700​
$5,760​
2018​
$18,0002​
$16,000​
$9,600​
$5,760​
1 If you elected not to claim any special depreciation allowance or the vehicle is not qualified property, the maximum depreciation deduction is $10,100.​
2 If you elected not to claim any special depreciation allowance or the vehicle is not qualified property, the maximum depreciation deduction is $10,000.​

Both from IRS publication 946. That said, I'm NOT a tax adviser. And if you're a small business doing sufficient business and generating enough revenue that you're even concerned with Depreciation and 179 Accelerated Depreciation - you should be getting your tax advice from your CPA and not from dudes like me on the Internet.

Alleycat392

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have read it, but may not have read it correctly. Section 179 totally exists, accelerated depreciation totally exists. You're saying you were able to depreciate a larger amount for an SUV over 6000 lbs than you would have been able to had it been under 6000 lbs?

I was reading:
Although vehicles used to transport persons or property for pay or hire and vehicles rated at more than the 6,000-pound threshold are not passenger automobiles, they are still "other property used for transportation" and are subject to the special rules for listed property.

and

Maximum Depreciation Deduction
The passenger automobile limits are the maximum depreciation amounts you can deduct for a passenger automobile. They are based on the date you placed the automobile in service.

Passenger Automobiles
The maximum deduction amounts for most passenger automobiles are shown in the following table.
Maximum Depreciation Deduction for Passenger Automobiles (Including Trucks and Vans) Acquired After September 27, 2017, and Placed in Service in 2020
Date​
4th &​
Placed​
1st​
2nd​
3rd​
Later​
In Service
Year
Year
Year
Year
2020​
$18,1001​
$16,100​
$9,700​
$5,760​
2019​
$18,1001​
$16,100​
$9,700​
$5,760​
2018​
$18,0002​
$16,000​
$9,600​
$5,760​
1 If you elected not to claim any special depreciation allowance or the vehicle is not qualified property, the maximum depreciation deduction is $10,100.​
2 If you elected not to claim any special depreciation allowance or the vehicle is not qualified property, the maximum depreciation deduction is $10,000.​

Both from IRS publication 946. That said, I'm NOT a tax adviser. And if you're a small business doing sufficient business and generating enough revenue that you're even concerned with Depreciation and 179 Accelerated Depreciation - you should be getting your tax advice from your CPA and not from dudes like me on the Internet.
In all due respect, no one asked you for your tax advice. I already pay over $400 an hour for mine, put the heads up out to this forum that I appreciate and respect for free. You evidently read, you doubted, researched and still doubt and now are telling me I should not be getting my CPA advice from people like you on the internet….

Jeep Wrangler JL What’s downside to 392 outside of cost and mpg 9508A59C-9F07-474D-A4EB-CBD8E9FA71CC
https://www.section179.org/section_179_vehicle_deductions/

Last edited:

Sponsored

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
In all due respect, no one asked you for your tax advice.
These threads live on a long time and are read later by folks searching for things. If I've written something that might be incorrect I want to qualify it. That's all.

Peace.

Alleycat392

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
These threads live on a long time and are read later by folks searching for things. If I've written something that might be incorrect I want to qualify it. That's all.

Peace.
I complete understand and respect that. The issue I had was that you said I “should be getting tax advice from your CPA and not from dudes like me on the Internet”. This was meant to be a fun thread regarding the downside of the 392 besides cost and mpg. I added something to the upside since the 392 has a GVW of 6100lb and can possibly be utilized under certain business situations for a section 179 deduction. Never meant for it to be a back and forth regarding validity.

Jeep Wrangler JL What’s downside to 392 outside of cost and mpg 719060F4-E76B-45C0-84FB-83717B013D52
https://www.jeep.com/tax-benefits-for-businesses.html

Last edited:

HelmsJeep

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2DR/Softop/Manual
I had a V8 Jeep in the 70s. It was a blast to drive and I never got it stuck. Even pulled a semi tractor trailer off the road once. However, AMC failed to upgrade the drive train parts with the more powerful motor. That, coupled with an 19 year old with a heavy foot and a “my Jeep can do absolutely anything“ attitude, cost me several rear axles and hubs. Presumably they have fixed everything but the heavy foot.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Maybe it’s me but after adjusting for my tire size with the taser mini today, the Jeep seems to responding better. Placebo?

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Maybe it’s me but after adjusting for my tire size with the taser mini today, the Jeep seems to responding better. Placebo?
Could have changed transmission shift points?
Sponsored