Lurking the forum
I've got almost 4k miles on mine.
And they were all helllllla fun..

Vrrooom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
When offroading the thing that causes breakage is torque and weight. You're increasing both with the 392. So likely for it to be more prone to breaking than the regular Rubicon given they have the same hardware but the 392 has more weight and torque.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
A set of paddles on a 392 JL would be a gas in the dunes.

Sponsored

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
If there is a downside, for me it would be the 2:72 tcase and 3.73 gearing. it's marketed as a rock crawler (Rubicon named) and it had gobs of low end tq, but still I'd like it to crawl slower by having the lower geared tcase and ring pinion gears. XR 392 resolved that though.

Lower gearing isn't for everyone though, such as swamp trails like we have here in Louisiana where more wheel speed is needed. But if i were rock crawling like in Johnson valley CA or AZ North of Phoenix in table Mesa areas with lots of rock gulleys I want the lower gearing.

But that's just nit picking. I'd love a 392 in any flavor.
It's got less torque than the 4xe and diesel, especially at rock-crawling rpms. I think it should have the 4:1 transfer case because of this deficiency. I'm guessing the 3.73 gears was to gain mpg, but again, that puts it at a disadvantage for crawling.

CpT Papa

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RUBICON 392
I see these types of responses on many product forums. Those that have the latest and greatest, love it, promote it, justify the cost and rationalize their purchase. Then the don't haves, can't afford it, it's a waste of money, not as good as what I already have etc. I only care about what one person thinks. If I want it and can afford it I get it, if it breaks I fix it, if there is a mod or better part I replace it, if it's out of gas I fill it, no cash I charge it, battery is dead I charge it too. I am just having a ton of fun with it, not my 1st Jeep but 1st Wrangler.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
A
It's got less torque than the 4xe and diesel, especially at rock-crawling rpms. I think it should have the 4:1 transfer case because of this deficiency. I'm guessing the 3.73 gears was to gain mpg, but again, that puts it at a disadvantage for crawling.
an advantage for low range sand running. There are always compromises

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
Very true. Including 6100lb section 179 IRS Tax Credit for the higher GVW! ;)
Folks keep saying that - but that loophole really existed for a very limited period of time. Don't buy any new jeep or new truck expecting to take advantage of that without checking with the current Section 179 and your tax advisor first!

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Folks keep saying that - but that loophole really existed for a very limited period of time. Don't buy any new jeep or new truck expecting to take advantage of that without checking with the current Section 179 and your tax advisor first!
It's always good when working class folks get to help pay for the well off to purchase nice new toys.

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle Sport Diesel
I see these types of responses on many product forums. Those that have the latest and greatest, love it, promote it, justify the cost and rationalize their purchase. Then the don't haves, can't afford it, it's a waste of money, not as good as what I already have etc. I only care about what one person thinks. If I want it and can afford it I get it, if it breaks I fix it, if there is a mod or better part I replace it, if it's out of gas I fill it, no cash I charge it, battery is dead I charge it too. I am just having a ton of fun with it, not my 1st Jeep but 1st Wrangler.
This forum is particularly egregious in that respect - at least when compared to other vehicle forums.

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
It has less torque??

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Haha, there is no disadvantage.
Sponsored