Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum
Don’t forget to say “ nice Bronco ya got there “ after gunning it
Wouldnt be able hear me and id be long gone before i could say it!
We mean.... we are so mean...
Sponsored

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Fuel tank size. That’s the only thing I don’t like about it. Other than that, I love this thing. I may die this season snowboarding or get mauled by a bear camping. Life’s short and I’m going to enjoy as much as I can while I’m living.

I get making 23K a year and burying oneself in consumer debt isn’t smart, but even then tomorrow isn’t promised. So many people are prepping/saving to die, which just seems silly to me. Does that mean I don’t care about retirement? I do. Just not to the extent of the general American public who thinks owning a home is a major investment.

Okay I went way off topic :) Simply put. Love my 392. Worth every penny to me.

OP
OP
Jeepmarkjl

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
It's all opportunity cost given your use case. If you just use it to dive kids around the city, Gas is pretty much the only downside. Maybe insurance cost as well.

I only have the JL for playing around in the mountains and other offroad/nature-focused road trips. I've got my eye on international focused travel in the long run. For that use case, it's just silly.
  1. The range is bad. This is meaningful if you're really going to be using the vehicle. In fact, I'd quickly give up 100 horsepower for an extra 5-10 MPG on the 3.6L.
  2. There is too much power. The 3.6L is absolutely enough when I'm in 4HI 99% of the time. If I need a little more, I can put it in 4Lo and there's a crazy amount of torque. With 400+ horsepower, I assume you're solidly in the "I'm gonna break a lot of stock parts" territory. To get away from that, you're spending more money and adding more weight.
  3. The extra weight is a very real penalty. Not just from a gas mileage perspective.
  4. Weight distribution is farther away from ideal.
  5. PRICE! We're talking an extra $20k!! That's the cost of like 10 life-changing two-week trips. If going long term, I could probably drive from Prudhoe Bay to Argentina for not much more. Can I afford the $20k? Sure... I just spent 12k on the Ursa Minor. It's not about the cost, but the opportunity cost.
Just my thoughts.
how's the ursaminor in general, how's the ursaminor on the added weight over stock top? Can you feel a difference driving?

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Insurance and registration haven't been mentioned. I'm in Commiefornia where both are stupidly high here with just my JLR 3.6. Add 12 mpg premimum @ $4.75 gal. , the 392 epitomizes the meme

just empty every pocket meme.jpeg
Since we can’t even so much as install a non factory tube with an air filter on the end here in Commifornia unless it’s CARB approved If you want a powerful vehicle you are essentially forced to get a factory one

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeepmarkjl

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
Is this guy yours? Wife wants to keep it but I need room in the shed.
x4gymt9rskblsrbm.jpg

images (2).jpg
I have three kids and they are not unfortunately as capable as this guy above. That's ex wife's fault because she lets them sleep inside and buys food at the grocery store for them....

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Insurance and registration haven't been mentioned. I'm in Commiefornia where both are stupidly high here with just my JLR 3.6. Add 12 mpg premimum @ $4.75 gal. , the 392 epitomizes the meme

just empty every pocket meme.jpeg
Oh yeah, and If you want one get it before Commifornia bans them completely

Overwatch

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR, Sarge Green 392
I think you are spot on with your second point. That’s right where I’m at - working up the courage to beat on it. I think I will give it a year for normal wear and tear and to lose the new car feel, get my budget for skids and suspension sorted, then go beat on it at a slightly greater level. The trick will be - keeping it trail capable/protected while also not overbuilt for DD use.
I plan on putting on metal fenders (storing the current ones) and then wrapping the whole thing. Hopefully that way I can drive it, trail it and in ten years have it look new enough to sell it if I want.

TrapperJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 wrangler JL, 2020 Mercedes AMG E
2 door SRT V-8 , , 6 speed , 35’s, 30 gal gas tank.

Sponsored

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
like many said, fuel tank capacity. 200miles per fill up is really annoying and gives a lot of anxiety on trail. On the freeway doing 75 it gets 300+ miles per tank but once you introduce local driving the range really sucks…..

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase
These are reaaaallllly stretching things. I love my 392, and I would not have it any other way. But since you asked...

1) Less factory suspension up travel compared to non 392 models, Makes it less comfortable and less capable on the bumps on the dunes.

2) I'm less willing to really beat on it offroad because I want to keep it nice and preserve it in the long term. I know with a non 392 Wrangler, I can always get another new one. But the 392, my guess is that after a year or two that's it, so I want to keep it nice.
An excuse to be another Wrangler right? Right?

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase

JeepColorado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
When you off-road with Jeeps that have Hemi swaps you will realize there is no downside or weight/weight distribution penalty.

Weight is 100% an issue. The nose being heavier effects the behavior of the vehicle on a climb and a descent regardless of the terrain. The extra weight pushing down creates more vertical load pressure on the tires which will matter in any type of compression terrain such as sand, mud or snow.
Sponsored