What’s downside to 392 outside of cost and mpg

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
For serious off-roading, low end torque for rock crawling is better in the diesel and 4xe. I think to exploit the hp advantage of the 392, Jeep needs to offer a Mojave edition aimed at higher speed wheeling.
It would be interesting. But I think a high speed off road version is incongruent with the Jeep platform. That use would drive lower unsprung weight, which the obvious solution is to get rid of the solid front axle. That drives you to IFS, which starts making a case for just buying something else like a Raptor or TRX or a custom vehicle.
Sponsored

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
It would be interesting. But I think a high speed off road version is incongruent with the Jeep platform. That use would drive lower unsprung weight, which the obvious solution is to get rid of the solid front axle. That drives you to IFS, which starts making a case for just buying something else like a Raptor or TRX or a custom vehicle.
Ultra4, Mint, Jeepspeed, etc. disagrees.

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler392; ‘20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like you partially de-badged your Jeep. I'm not thrilled at all with all the gold. I have heard the 392 emblem on the hood has pins that go through the hood so removing that would leave holes in the hood. Do you know if thats right?
Are you… the scat pack guy? Yeah the hood emblems have pins so if taken off will leave holes.

benny_rt2

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 YJ - 1999 TJ - 2004 TJ
If there is a downside, for me it would be the 2:72 tcase and 3.73 gearing. it's marketed as a rock crawler (Rubicon named) and it had gobs of low end tq, but still I'd like it to crawl slower by having the lower geared tcase and ring pinion gears. XR 392 resolved that though.

Lower gearing isn't for everyone though, such as swamp trails like we have here in Louisiana where more wheel speed is needed. But if i were rock crawling like in Johnson valley CA or AZ North of Phoenix in table Mesa areas with lots of rock gulleys I want the lower gearing.

But that's just nit picking. I'd love a 392 in any flavor.

Sponsored

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I don't like corvettes though, I like Jeeps....and horsepower.

You state they do drive nice - so you have driven a 392?

I work at a Jeep dealership. I’ve sold three of them and traded for two back.

JPJr70

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Willys 2dr

Sponsored

JPJr70

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Willys 2dr
I kind of think most vehicles I’d like to drive would be called “silly” by folks that aren’t into it. Those extremes are super interesting to me - corvettes or 392 Jeep and many others. It’s like practical isn’t usually very fun, and fun isnt isn’t usually very practical.
Amen.

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
Well, someone has to do the PDI, and put gas in them.
Could you even get a good feel for the Jeep if you were only taking it to fill up and doing PDI? Or have you driven it a bit more than just that? I'm asking because not sure you could even appreciate it if you were only doing that and driving it like I would hope a dealer employee would.

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Could you even get a good feel for the Jeep if you were only taking it to fill up and doing PDI? Or have you driven it a bit more than just that? I'm asking because not sure you could even appreciate it if you were only doing that and driving it like I would hope a dealer employee would.

First: Yes I have driven them down the highway. After I traded for one, I drove it home. Second: I've worked here for 20+ years, and take very good care of my customers vehicles. Probably treat them better than they will honestly.

I do appreciate the 392, and understand it has it's market. People like it just like anything. Just because I don't like them doesn't mean the other people don't have to. I just have zero desire in one, and would rather spend the money upgrading my V6 wrangler with Dana 60's and a long arm for what the 392's are selling for. Damn things are bringing 10k over sticker at the auction.

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
Thanks for elaborating. Sounds like you have enough seat time to have an informed opinion on the Jeep.
Sponsored