Sponsored

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I know I'm going to sound like a negative ass when I say this, and I'm sure the comments will be exciting to read. I do not like the 392. I think it was a rushed to market Jeep. Between the All Wheel drive, the low oil pan, and many other things I just am not a fan. I have the 3.6, and drove several 4 cyl, and Diesel Wranglers. Never once have I thought I needed more power, or said "man I wish my Jeep would do 0 to 60 in 5 seconds. It's a Jeep, not a Corvette. If you want that much power then buy a Corvette. They are actually cheaper than a 392 depending on options. Just went to Moab, and drove through Colorado up to 11,000 feet, and with stock gears and 37's the Jeep did great. Never felt like I needed more power. My fat ass couldn't breath, lol, but the Jeep did fine. I know a lot of people like them, and they do drive nice. I just find the 392 silly to be perfectly honest.

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase
The emotional pain when you don’t get to drive it since it’s at the dealership…

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
I know I'm going to sound like a negative ass when I say this, and I'm sure the comments will be exciting to read. I do not like the 392. I think it was a rushed to market Jeep. Between the All Wheel drive, the low oil pan, and many other things I just am not a fan. I have the 3.6, and drove several 4 cyl, and Diesel Wranglers. Never once have I thought I needed more power, or said "man I wish my Jeep would do 0 to 60 in 5 seconds. It's a Jeep, not a Corvette. If you want that much power then buy a Corvette. They are actually cheaper than a 392 depending on options. Just went to Moab, and drove through Colorado up to 11,000 feet, and with stock gears and 37's the Jeep did great. Never felt like I needed more power. My fat ass couldn't breath, lol, but the Jeep did fine. I know a lot of people like them, and they do drive nice. I just find the 392 silly to be perfectly honest.
I hear you bro. I’m just going to start the flame here and point out that your username, when said, is the same as “jealous”. Just teasing!!

I’m in the other camp - have always wanted more power. It’s fun. I actually don’t mind the awd, though I thought I would. Gonna have to put some skids on that oil pan, then should be good to go. And the new oil pan seems an improvement. I’m intrigued by the diesel, a little scared of it for now.

I kind of think most vehicles I’d like to drive would be called “silly” by folks that aren’t into it. Those extremes are super interesting to me - corvettes or 392 Jeep and many others. It’s like practical isn’t usually very fun, and fun isnt isn’t usually very practical.

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler392; ‘20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t think you’ll get negativity. It’s definitely not a practical purchase and I agree there are elements that feel rushed- including parts and package announcements.

Sponsored

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
For serious off-roading, low end torque for rock crawling is better in the diesel and 4xe. I think to exploit the hp advantage of the 392, Jeep needs to offer a Mojave edition aimed at higher speed wheeling.

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I hear you bro. I’m just going to start the flame here and point out that your username, when said, is the same as “jealous”. Just teasing!!

I’m in the other camp - have always wanted more power. It’s fun. I actually don’t mind the awd, though I thought I would. Gonna have to put some skids on that oil pan, then should be good to go. And the new oil pan seems an improvement. I’m intrigued by the diesel, a little scared of it for now.

I kind of think most vehicles I’d like to drive would be called “silly” by folks that aren’t into it. Those extremes are super interesting to me - corvettes or 392 Jeep and many others. It’s like practical isn’t usually very fun, and fun isnt isn’t usually very practical.

The "jealous of jellis", is actually on purpose, lol. I agree practicality is out the window with Jeeps. 3.5" lift, 37's, and countless other upgrades on mine proves that, lol. As they say in the car business, "there is an ass for every seat", and that's true with the 392, Diesel, and 4XE. I even think the flares on the extreme recon are silly. Lipstick on a pig.

Badfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR XR
Occupation
Retired fisherman
Major downside of owning a 392 is that every single time you make a post in this forum you MUST state that your jeep is a 392.

{ETERNAL LOOP}
to your point I don't see anyone list the 2.0 or 3.6 on their vehicle list... but always the 392 right after :LOL:

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Well, it is silly. But sometimes silly is exactly what some people are craving. Kind of the "cotton candy" end of off-road vehicles. Your reference to the Corvette points to another "silly" vehicle. Again, some people are looking for exactly that. We can put all recreational use of vehicles into the "silly" category. That would pretty much cover almost every Jeep used, but for the very few that actually need a Jeep's capability to get to work or the store. So, silly is good, IMO.

Viking Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJR. 2021 392 Wrangler.
I get the dislike for color-matched top and fenders. But I just cannot stand how the black ages - even when taken care of. That's why my wife's 4xe is all Tuscadero. Now if Jeep offered a matte black painted option...

Now it's my turn for a new vehicle and I'm really excited. If I could get a 392 Gladiator - oh, man! I would strongly consider Tuscadero and even roll the dice on black fenders, top, and grill - or possibly painted aftermarket fenders.
Looks like you partially de-badged your Jeep. I'm not thrilled at all with all the gold. I have heard the 392 emblem on the hood has pins that go through the hood so removing that would leave holes in the hood. Do you know if thats right?

Sponsored

Uncommon Sense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray '22 392XR
The 392 makes zero sense which is what I like about it... I know that much power in a jeep makes no sense, but I'm sure it will put a smile on my face. I've been buying practical cars all my life and cars with "enough" power. I guess I am at a point I want too much power...

It ticks all the boxes for me. Mine will be a daily driver. The most off roading it will do is hitting potholes in Chicago. Having that kind of power to scoot from stop light to stop light will make the commuting a little more fun.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon
all the whining we are going to hear from the 2 door cult
Thats the origin of the Jeep. 2 Doors. I for one can accept both being around and prefer 2 doors. If the 392 was available for 2 doors I would be considering an upgrade but for now no. I would think they could add some torque management to spots where the Jeep would be a little scary if needed for the masses. Then the rest of us could just use a tuner to get it all back.

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
I don't like corvettes though, I like Jeeps....and horsepower.

You state they do drive nice - so you have driven a 392?
Sponsored